Riverhead, NY, Police Sgt. Jill Kubetz saved the life of a choking infant Monday morning.
Upon receiving a 911 call at 8:49 a.m. about an infant choking at Pine Tree Day Nursery in Riverhead, Kubetz rushed to the scene, arriving within one minute of the call, and found the infant to have a fully obstructed airway, Riverhead Local reports.
Kubetz used back thrusts to dislodge the object from the child’s lower airway. She noted what appeared to be a large LEGO block lodged in and blocking the child’s airway. Kubetz’s efforts dislodged the object enough that limited airflow was restored, police said.
When Riverhead Volunteer Ambulance Corps responded, Kubetz held the child while RVAC paramedic Christine Klassert was able to remove a two-inch LEGO from the child’s throat.