When the Route 23 Pet Center in Franklin, NJ, went up in flames due to an electrical malfunction, police were first to arrive on the scene.
Though the building was already filled with smoke, Officer Rafael Burgos conducted an investigation of the facilities to make sure there were no staffers trapped inside. Once he was sure that there were no human workers in the building, he got to work evacuating all the frightened, caged animals.
Though humans are capable of sustaining a large amount of smoke inhalation, the lungs of pet animals are much more sensitive to irritation. If Burgos had not acted as quickly as he did, many of the pets could have perished from the smoke or flames.
Burgos was treated for smoke inhalation after the incident, the Good News Network reports.