The Ferguson (Mo.) Police Department, which had previously said it would release the name of the officer who shot a reportedly unarmed 18-year-old man Saturday afternoon triggering protests and rioting, said Tuesday that it had decided against doing so out of concern for the safety of the officer.

The department said threats had been made against the city's police and the involved officer, who is on leave, on social media.

"The value of releasing the name is far outweighed by the risk of harm to the officer and his family," Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson told the New York Times.

0 Comments