A multi-agency gang enforcement operation headed by the Long Beach (Calif.) Police Department resulted in the arrest of 13 suspects and the recovery of weapons, ammunition, and other evidence in a Wednesday gang sweep.

The operation focused on a local gang responsible for multiple shootings in recent months, including one where two uniformed detectives were shot at, leaving one wounded.

"This operation and the ongoing investigation should send a strong message to those that bring harm to our city and the community that your illegal activities will not be tolerated, and we will do everything within our power to put an end to your reign of crime," according to Chief Jim McDonnell stated."

Long Beach PD's Gang Enforcement detectives have been investigating a series of shootings that occurred since December. During the course of these investigations, detectives connected the shootings via suspects or weapons involved in the crimes.

The investigation focused on the East Side Longos gang, one of the oldest Hispanic gangs in the city. The gang claims territory in central Long Beach, and members are believed to be responsible for six shootings in this geographical area, including the recent attempted murder of the two Gang Enforcement detectives.

Long Beach PD gang detectives, SWAT, and Directed Enforcement officers teamed up with members of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, the US Marshals Office, state parole, Los Angeles County Probation, and the Department of Children and Family Services to plan and execute the early-morning task force operation.

Fifteen locations throughout Long Beach were simultaneously served with search warrants, immediately followed by parole searches at 15 additional locations, followed by probation searches at 15 more locations. In total, 45 different residences were searched, each having a connection to a documented member or associate of the East Side Longo gang.

In addition to the arrests, handguns, a rifle, ammunition, and other evidence was seized, and four children were safely taken into protective custody and released to the Department of Children and Family Services.