Rookie Lawrence, MA, police officer Ivan Soto was working on Andover Street Thursday night, helping people leave the city and preventing others from entering after a massive area gas leak sparked dozens of fires and hundreds of evacuations.
Meanwhile, Soto's own home in the Mount Vernon neighborhood was burning, police officers said.
Even when he was told about the fire, Soto continued working with fellow police officers in the Andover Street area.
A Go Fund Me fundraising account was started for the family on Thursday night.
As of Saturday morning, the page had surpassed its fundraising goal and had raised more than $60,000 in donations.