"Defreitas was driving this," said a U.S. federal law enforcement official familiar with the investigation. "But he was trying to hook up with some heavy-hitters who had connections for backing and financing."
Officials state that the crippling of the United States' economic system and the inducement of psychological fear across the nation's population was the intended goal of the scheme.
Authorities added that while the event was in the early stages of preparations and that a definitive plan for acquiring explosives or how to access tanks and pipelines had yet to be developed, the suspects had been under government surveillance since Jan. 2006, during which time they managed to acquire detailed surveillance of the airport, made repeated overseas trips, and sought help from a radical Islamic organization in Trinidad.
"The devastation that would be caused had this plot succeeded is unthinkable," says U.S. Attorney Roslynn R. Mauskopf, who represents the Eastern District of New York, at a Saturday afternoon news conference in Manhattan to announce the arrests.
The case is the latest in a series of alleged domestic terrorist threats involving Muslims residing legally in the U.S., including a case last month at the Ft. Dix Army base in New Jersey.