“The large-scale protests may have ended for now, but our work has not,” Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan J. Hochman said. “We are continuing to review evidence, identify suspects and file charges where the law has been broken. I want to thank the team of investigators and prosecutors for their tireless efforts to ensure that those who committed criminal acts under the guise of protest are held accountable.”
In the press release, the DA’s Office said:
A 17-year-old Juvenile is charged with one felony count each of attempted murder, assault upon a peace officer, and vandalism and two misdemeanor counts of rioting.
A 37-year-old man is charged with one felony count each of assault upon a peace officer and resisting arrest, and one misdemeanor count of rioting. On June 11, at about 10:45 p.m., police officers responded to a hotel in Whittier. Protesters had gathered outside the hotel because they believed that federal immigration agents were staying there. As officers attempted to get the crowd to disperse, the suspect allegedly jabbed a flagpole at one of the officers, causing injury. If convicted as charged, he faces up to nine years and two months in prison.
A 29-year-old woman is charged with two felony counts of assault upon a peace officer, two felony counts of animal cruelty and one felony count of resisting arrest. The complaint also alleges that she had been released on her own recognizance on another felony case at the time she committed the alleged offense. On June 14, at about 4:45 p.m., a dispersal order was given where protesters were gathered in downtown Los Angeles. As sheriff’s mounted deputies moved toward the crowd, the suspect allegedly began pulling on the bridle of one of the horses and then grabbed the reins of another horse. If convicted as charged, she faces up to 10 years and four months in prison.