Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials have released "several hundred" immigrants from deportation centers across the country, saying the move is an effort to cut costs ahead of budget cuts due to hit later this week.

Announcing the news Tuesday, ICE officials said that the immigrants were released under supervision and continue to face deportation. After reviewing hundreds of cases, those released were considered low-risk and "noncriminal," officials said.

The releases took place over the last week and were an effort "to ensure detention levels stay within ICE's current budget," said ICE spokeswoman Gillian Christiansen, citing uncertainty caused by a budget standoff in Washington.

Much of the federal government is braced to feel the pinch from $85 billion in across-the-board budget cuts due to start Friday. Both Republicans and Democrats have said they oppose the cuts, but the two parties cannot agree on a budget deal that would avert them.

Read the full Los Angeles Times story.

Related:

Fed Budget Cuts Would Reduce LE Strength

0 Comments