VIDEO: Ohio Officer Accidentally Overdoses on Fentanyl
An East Liverpool, OH, Police officer, while responding to a drug-involved call Friday night, accidentally touched fentanyl and overdosed.
According to a police report, East Liverpool police had blocked in a blue Monte Carlo at a traffic stop after watching the driver — 25-year-old Justin Buckle — perform what they believed was a drug transaction.
“We think they were trying to flee, but they were blocked in,” East Liverpool Captain Patrick Wright told WKBN TV. “Once they got blocked in, they tried to dispose of the evidence in the vehicle … There was white powder on the seat, on the floor, on the guys’ shoes and on his clothing.”
After Buckle and passenger Cortez Collins, 24, were arrested, Officer Green followed station protocol for handling drugs by putting on gloves and a mask when he searched the car.
Later at the station, Green brushed some of the powder off of his uniform shirt with his bare hand and overdosed.
He was treated with Narcan by EMTs and at the hospital and has recovered.