Safariland unveiled concealable body armor, the Apex Covert Vest System, during the 2024 Shooting Hunting and Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show in Las Vegas. The company said the new armor offers mobility and comfort.
At the heart of Apex is a four-piece vest design that seamlessly integrates two side panels with front and rear counterparts for maneuverability. Safariland said this unique configuration allows for unparalleled articulation, ensuring the armor panels move fluidly with the body, providing coverage during every twist and turn of duty.
"The development of Apex is rooted in recognizing the parallel between advanced athletic mobility and the dynamic demands of law enforcement officers," said James Duncan, vice president and general manager of armor for Safariland. "Apex addresses the critical need for enhanced mobility and comfort in the line of duty.”
According to Safariland, features of the new armor system include:
- A four-piece floating architecture for unparalleled comfort and uncompromised performance
- The core compression system carries the weight of the ballistics around the body core, allowing for a more natural weight displacement
- Extended tuckable garment capability
- Front zip for easy donning and doffing
- Integrated front and rear trauma plate pocket
- Internal soft armor suspension system
- Lockable front zipper with zipper garage
Safariland said Apex stands out from the competition with its innovative "floating" front and back panels, creating an overlapping relationship with the side panels. This design provides continuous protection, effortlessly adjusting to the body's natural motions, the company added.