Enhanced security measures will remain in place for next Monday's Boston Marathon, the second since the deadly 2013 bombing at the finish line of the iconic race, authorities said, reports the Associated Press.
"This plan will look very much like the plan that was in effect last year," said Kurt Schwartz, Massachusetts' undersecretary for homeland security, at a briefing Monday at the state's emergency management headquarters.
As was the case for the 2014 race, the first since twin bombs hidden in backpacks killed three people and injured more than 260 others, the anticipated 1 million spectators along the 26.2 mile course were being strongly urged to put personal belongings in clear plastic bags and avoid bringing backpacks, other large bags or coolers to the race.
Security checkpoints will be in place in key locations such as the finish line area and the start line in Hopkinton, officials said.
One new wrinkle: Police are warning against the use of any drones or model aircraft.