An Indianapolis police officer took a sip of McDonald's iced tea over the weekend and wound up in the hospital because the drink apparently was contaminated with cleaning chemicals.
Reserve Officer Paul Watkins went to the McDonald's at around 10 p.m. Saturday night for a self-serve tea before his shift, his wife Jerilyn Watkins told ABC News, adding that she wasn't with him at the time and his lawyer advised him not to speak to the media.
"He filled his cup and took a big gulp and immediately his throat started burning down into his chest," Jerilyn Watkins told ABC News, adding that he called her from the car and told him he felt as though he'd just drunk "bleach."
He called the police station and poison control, which determined that the tea dispenser was filled with a "heavy duty degreaser" chemical, according to the police report obtained by ABC News. Watkins spent the night at IU Health Methodist Hospital, according to the report. He underwent endoscopy the following day, Watkins's lawyer, Sam Jacobs said.
Watkins has returned to his daily life, but he still has problems swallowing and experiences burning in his throat, Jacobs said. He's also concerned about the long-term effects of ingesting the chemicals.