In the wake of protests and violence over the in-custody death of a man who had reportedly ingested PCP, Rochester, NY's chief of police stepped down from his position Tuesday. Along with the chief, six other department leaders announced they will vacate their roles.

 

Chief La'Ron Singletary said in a statement that he was honored to serve the city in upstate New York for 20 years and commended his staff. However, he said the protests and criticism of his handling of the investigation into the March 23 incident "are an attempt to destroy my character and integrity."

"As a man of integrity, I will not sit idly by while outside entities attempt to destroy my character," he said in a statement. "The members of the Rochester Police Department and the Greater Rochester Community know my reputation and know what I stand for."

His retirement will be effective Sept. 29, according to Rochester City Council President Loretta Scott. Scott told ABC News as of now there is no blueprint for how the city moves forward following the retirements of the command staff.

Embed from Getty Images

Rochester has been besieged by civil unrest since body camera footage of the incident involving Daniel Prude was released last week.

0 Comments