TASER International, known for its connected apps and devices for law enforcement, today announced the release of Axon Signal Sidearm. This is the first wireless sensor to alert Axon body cameras when a firearm is removed from an officer's holster, according to the company. Expanding on the company's Axon Signal technology, which also works with TASER Smart Weapons and police cruisers, it will enable officers to be even more thoroughly covered by the Axon network in the line of duty. The Signal Sidearm will be available for purchase in Q3 2017.
"When law enforcement officers must draw a weapon, the last thing they should worry about is their technology," said TASER CEO and Co-Founder, Rick Smith. "The Signal Sidearm will give officers the same confidence in their technology that already exists in encounters involving Smart Weapons that use our Signal technology. It's an important step in extending the reach of the Axon network to connect other devices."
Customers can receive early access to Signal Sidearm by visiting the website https://www.axon.io/products/signal
- The Signal Sidearm attaches to an officer's existing firearm holster without interfering with normal operation.
- The device is wireless and does not risk cables and wires getting in the way of officers when on duty.
- Once a firearm is drawn, the sensor is triggered and alerts all Axon cameras within a 30-foot range to begin recording. The signal communicates with the full line of Axon cameras including Axon Body 2, Axon Flex 2, and Axon Fleet in-car cameras.
- The Signal Sidearm is compatible with most existing firearm holsters.
- The coin cell battery that operates the device lasts approximately 1.5 years and automatically alerts the user via the Axon network if the battery is low.