MS-13 member Alcides Umaña, a 23-year-old resident of Arlington, Va., was given a 20-year prison sentence for murdering a pimp during the robbery of the pimp and a prostitute in Alexandria, Va., in 2009, according to the Department of Justice.

"This senseless death demonstrates the violence and fear that gangs can spread in the community," said U.S. Attorney Neil MacBride. "We are determined, along with the FBI, to put MS-13 out of business and believe that severe sentences like the one handed down today will aid that goal."

On March 3, 2010, Umaña pled guilty to aiding and abetting the use of a firearm during a crime of violence resulting in the death of the pimp, Claros Luna, through the use of a handgun. According to court records, in July 2009, Luna transported women from Maryland to Virginia to engage in prostitution. Posing as potential customers, Umaña and two other MS-13 gang members—Adolfo Amaya Portillo and Eris Arguera—lured Claros Luna and the prostitute to Manor Road in Alexandria, Va., on July 29, 2009.

Once Luna and the prostitute arrived at Manor Road, the prostitute exited the vehicle and entered the apartment building at 704 Manor Road. Arguera, brandishing a handgun, met the prostitute in the lobby and directed her to the nearby vehicle where Luna sat waiting in the driver's seat.

Arguera and the prostitute entered the rear driver's side door of the vehicle. Portillo, armed with a handgun, entered the front passenger door. Umaña, armed with a knife, entered the rear passenger-side door of the vehicle. Portillo demanded rent or extortion payments from Luna. Luna attempted to grab Portillo's handgun. Umaña then put his knife to Luna's throat.

Portillo and Arguera fatally shot Luna three times. Portillo fired two of the three fatal shots—one to Luna's chest and a second contact wound to Luna's head. A third shot entered the left side of Luna's back and exited his chest. Portillo, Arguera, and Umaña then took the money that Luna and the prostitute had earned from the prostitution business that day.

This case was investigated by the Alexandria Police Department and FBI's Washington field office, with assistance from the Fairfax County and Arlington County Police Departments and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Office of Investigations in Washington.