Hide and Chic Purse Holster - DeSantis
This women's concealer offers an ingenious hidden handgun compartment that is...

Iraq Vet To Stand Trial In Officer's Murder

January 03, 2013  |

Photo courtesy of Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office.
Photo courtesy of Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office.

The Iraq war veteran accused of ambushing and murdering his officer wife on duty waived his preliminary hearing and faces a first-degree murder trial on Jan. 24.

Ben Sebena, 30, appeared in court today in a wheelchair wearing a suicide-prevention vest. Sebena is accused of killing Wauwatosa (Wis.) Police Officer Jennifer Sebena, 30, who was shot to death in the early morning hours of Dec. 24.

The officer was shot multiple times in the head and died from wounds that were inflicted with her own police sidearm. Two guns were recovered from Sebena's home, including his wife's service weapon, reports the Associated Press.

Sebena, an ex-Marine, was honorably discharged in 2005 after suffering arm and leg injuries in a mortar attack that year. He apparently suffered from PTSD, and told investigators he was a jealous husband. He admitted killing her, reports WISN.

Sebena's PTSD could be used as his primary defense, an attorney told WISN.

Related:

Husband Arrested In Slaying of Wis. Officer

Wis. Officer Found Murdered

Tags: Wauwatosa (Wis.) PD, Cop Killers, Murder Prosecutions

another iraq vet of many @ 1/3/2013 4:24 PM

lots of us have mental issues that we are working through day by day-we don't murder the ones who depend on us the most. I hate the PTSD defense BS. This F@#K just went from "hero" to POS!!!

B-rad @ 1/3/2013 4:33 PM

This is sad, to kill his own wife is horrible, but to kill her while she was serving her county as he had served his country, talking about a buzz kill, go from HERO to ZERO.. Rest in peace sweet lady.. Rest in peace!!!!

J Cop @ 1/3/2013 5:19 PM

His actions were disgusting but theyre not telling the entire story, i wager he found out about an affair.

Jen @ 1/3/2013 6:36 PM

This happened just 25 minutes west of my home, after the Official Police Report you will have a better understanding of what truly happened. And J-Cop if you understood her religious beliefs and her dedication to God, you would know that adultery is the ultimate sin to her. I am assuming you are a man, and that is the typical man response. So basically you are saying that if somoene cheats on their spouse it is okay to murder them? Wow...

Vixen63 @ 1/3/2013 7:24 PM

Jen, I don't think J-Cop was saying a cheating spouse is justification for murder. Granted his statement is merely an opinion, and perhaps wrong, but I think what he was saying is Ben is using PTSD as an defense when in reality it was perhaps jealousy that led him to his horrific actions. However, I do agree with you that we need the "whole" story before we draw any conclusions as to what exactly happened. If I were assigned to prosecute this case you can best believe I would definitely serve a subpoena on any doctor that treated him while he was in the Service as well as since his discharge in 2005. If he is indeed suffering from PTSD there definitely should be some medical evidence presence, because he himself can not diagnose his condition.

dustin @ 1/3/2013 7:26 PM

@J Cop: affair or no affair, its murder. NO need for any of the story, you don't pull the trigger on someone unless its self defence or preservation of another.

bpd3733 @ 1/3/2013 10:19 PM

First things first: The mention of his military service is just plain wrong. It played no part in this crime. This is a tactic used by scumbag journalists to draw attention to the story.

Jealousy can make people commit a crime. But the anger and wanting to control the significant other is the real problem.

As a Marine, the use of the term "ex-Marine" is extremely insulting. This term is used solely for those who are court-martialed and sent to prison.

BW @ 1/3/2013 11:04 PM

How many people went home and killed their wives after WWI? WWII? Korea? Nam? Is PTSD just a cop-out for psychopaths who were in the military?

Jen @ 1/4/2013 2:44 AM

Ben cannot use PTSD as a defense because what he did was PRE-MEDITATED! In the official police report he admitted to stalking her for weeks. Also what no one else hears outside of the state of Wisconsin, is that Jen filed a domestic dispute against Ben on Dec 9th 2012 to one of her fellow officers- He pulled a gun on her and threaten to kill her. Now tell me… is that PTSD? Vixen63 you bring up an excellent point there is nothing that has stated that he was even ever diagnosed with PTSD.

Oh Really? @ 1/4/2013 6:18 AM

This is in reply to poster-"another iraq vet of many". Unless you have suffered , or are suffering from PTSD, you have NO RIGHT to say ANYTHING about it! Each person suffers in different ways. I have a close friend that was in Vietnam. He just started receiving treatment for his experience there. He got lost in the system. Someone from that far back just now getting treatment, shows you the system is messed up. I am suffering from PTSD because my 22 year old nephew who was living with me, was barbarically murdered in my home on Nov 30, 2012. I was the one who found him, and it has torn me up beyond belief. I am still not living in my home. The remodel is nearly complete. All kinds of thought went through my head during this ordeal, so for to say what you did, only makes you an insensitive clot. We dont know all of the facts surrounding this guy shooting his wife.

S.S @ 1/4/2013 6:33 AM

PTSD is NOT an excuse for killing his wife. Hope he gets what he deserves.

Steve @ 1/4/2013 6:54 AM

BW there were probably more than you realize. The condition didn't have the PTSD label. The difference now is that the media finds it all quite sensational and have convinced themselves that it's okay to broadcast as much about these incidents as they can. Back then even the media had a conscience and didn't find it so necessary to put it out there for everyone to see.

Morning Eagle @ 1/4/2013 1:18 PM

@ Oh Really? "Unless you have suffered, or are suffering from PTSD, you have NO RIGHT to say ANYTHING about it! Each person suffers in different ways." You are absolutely correct and especially based on news reports that are frequently inaccurate or flat wrong.
Whether or not he actually had PTSD or whether it had anything to do with his actions we cannot know at this point and have no right to be casting stones. I am in no way trying to excuse his admitted actions but can't help feeling a certain sympathy all around. He has effectively ended his own life as well as that of his wife and has injured both their families with emotional wounds that will never completely heal in this lifetime.

Sean @ 1/4/2013 2:29 PM

This guy is a coward! Pure evil and PTSD made him do this and it was premediated. To shoot her with her pistol shows malice aforethought and planning. His reason doesn't matter. She was serving her country while killed....end of story...

Rick haywood @ 12/7/2013 7:04 PM

The military have standards of behavior for officers that sets a standard that we could all live by. I have no knowledge of what happened here. What I suspect is that while the man was on deployment his wife started sleeping around. Most likely with other police members. I think he killed the wrong cop. When we come home our expectations are high. I can understand his actions and I'm not sure he wasn't justified.