ESS Rollbar Tactical Sunglass - ESS Eyepro
The new ESS Rollbar Tactical interchangeable-lens sunglass has a broad wrap that...

Va. Cops Refused Service at Buffalo Wild Wings

March 27, 2013  |

Photo via abbamouse/Flickr.
Photo via abbamouse/Flickr.

Eight Prince William County (Va.) Police officers were refused service Wednesday at the Manassas Buffalo Wild Wings location, because they had their service weapons displayed.

As the officers entered the restaurant, they were asked to secure their weapons before they were served. They were in plain clothes and their badges were displayed, reports Manassas Park Patch.

Scott Lupton, the general manager of the restaurant, later apologized and said the incident was a "huge misunderstanding." Lupton delivered an apology letter to the agency in person.

In January, Belleville (Ill.) Police detectives were asked to leave a Denny's restaurant after a patron complained about a plain-clothes female detective's gun.

Tags: Political Correctness, Plainclothes, Duty Pistols, Prince William County (Va.) PD

Fed Cop @ 3/28/2013 10:03 AM

This is the current trend by the liberal PC police. It's going to get worse. I can see some of these PC people refusing service to uniformed officers. When I was in uniform, I went to a school, everyone was in a panic that I still had my duty weapon on. A student asked me why I had a gun on on school property. Yes, I was in full uniform.

Federali @ 3/28/2013 3:28 PM

Apology or not, it should NEVER have happened. I guess it's Hooter's if I want wings for lunch from now on!

8sam1 @ 3/28/2013 3:39 PM

Borrowing a mindset or philosphy for designating "Gun-Free Zones" with signs maybe agencies/jurisdictions afflicted with this type stupidity should respond in kind by posting "Cop-Free Zone" signs to inform the intelligent public for their safety.

Bob@Az. @ 3/28/2013 4:01 PM

Sad, but definatly a manager problem. Out here our Buffalo Wild Wings go out of their way to help the PD, hosting "Served By a Cop" nights and just generally being pro LEO. Blues, Stay Safe.

Frank @ 3/28/2013 4:25 PM

I hope the Manager at this place get robbed and bitch slapped. What is wrong with these people?

DPB @ 3/28/2013 5:59 PM

It was not the manager. It was a dumb*ss waitress whom continued to refuse serving the LEO's. She apparently heard "guns kill people" and does not know that it really is people having intent, holding them, aiming them, then pulling the trigger that make that happen!

On a couple of other websites it is amazing how many think cops are supposed to abide by the same gun free zone rules that the civilian population has to abide by. As Bart Simpson use to say, "DUH!"

When the folks whom think that way start working the streets 24/7, and going into dark places where bad people are waiting to harm me, my brothers and sisters in blue, and the civilians I am sworn to serve and protect, you may then come talk to me about me leaving my gun at home!

Jack Betz @ 3/28/2013 6:17 PM

I wait for the day someone robs one of these idiot places.

Doc @ 3/28/2013 6:30 PM

Buffalo Wild Wings is also on a list of contributors to the people that are trying to Disarm the public, by passing more gun bans and magazine limits. I won't go to a place that it working to violate the rights of the people.

Rick @ 3/28/2013 7:10 PM

8sam1, you gave me an idea. Their department should put a big "Police Free Zone" sticker on the front and back door so other officers don't accidentally go in to the restaurant. They'd be on their own... I like it!

Jim Davenport @ 3/28/2013 7:56 PM

I don't see a problem if a badge is displayed with the gun. I prefer to keep it concealed in the event of a shooter entering the business.
Whiners are everywhere.

Bubba @ 3/28/2013 11:06 PM

Buffalo Wild Wings is VERY ANTI-GUN! Not only do they keep cops out, but they post all of the company owned stores with "NO GUNS" signs.

They prohibit honest, law abiding, gun owners from entering their stores, but there is obviously no way they can stop criminals with just a sign.

No gun owner should ever spend a Cent there.

Creeker @ 3/29/2013 1:06 AM

Devils advocate: What if the store was advocating for open carry (which I wouldn't do) or permitted carry and attempting to make a point? There are plenty of LEO suppliers that are refusing to sell equipment to.agencies in states which are.stripping civil rights from their citizens. If i were a citizen who was prohibited from defending myself and others, I would be highly pissed at Plainclothed Cops.throwing their nanny state Government.priviledge in my face without a cover garment... which every Agency usually requires in public to start with.

Trigger @ 3/29/2013 5:21 AM

Hope no one chokes on a chicken bone, after all that could kill someone too!!!

Greg @ 3/29/2013 5:39 AM

Phew! The waitress didn't do anything the management hadn't taught her. They're an anti-gun company and are very up front about it. So, they'll never get my business in or out of uniform. Too many good places to go for mediocre food.

Captain @ 3/29/2013 7:12 AM

Crazy, i have received complaints wanting my deputies to secure their weapons before testifing in court. I also had a citizen file a complaint with the State that my deputy was armed while taking a call at his residence. They were politely told to go away.

Dan B @ 3/29/2013 7:30 AM

To Creeker: you are a freaking IDIOT! Devil's advocate, or not. Where do you get off saying what every agency usually does? In my 30 years, I've have not seen every department's policy, but I have seen alot. I can count on one hand the number of policies I've seen that require a cover for plainclothes officers.

Funny how this and Denny's were all a big misunderstanding AFTER it hit the media.

oldcop @ 3/29/2013 7:44 AM

Creeker if you are law enforcement does your department require that your gun is hidden when you are on duty. These guys were on duty at the time. Never heard of a department requiring that you cover your tools when on duty. Let me know where you work don't want to work there.

Chiefjohn @ 3/29/2013 9:25 AM

Since it is beginning to look like a trend that certain restaurants don't want cops to eat there, why doesn't our police unions, (FOP, teamsters, etc.) make a public statement that officers and thier friends, families will not support these establishments. Every other group out there boycots places. Why isn't it our turn to say, enough, you don't want our business, then we will let the public know it and if the place becomes a haven for scum, families and others will also quit going there. See how long that CEO keeps a job.

George @ 3/29/2013 11:39 AM

Chiefjohn- Because the FOp is just as anti-gun as the people posting those signs. They supported the 94 AWB, and are right in step with Feinstein and others that want to take our guns away. The battle lines are being drawn...

Sgt.K. @ 3/30/2013 7:18 PM

Really Creeker ???
another civie bashing the the wrong people again

Sgt. Mike @ 3/31/2013 8:21 PM

One more restaurant chain I'll never eat at again.

Jim B. @ 4/3/2013 1:45 PM

Oldcop,

I'm not defending Creeker here but it is fairly common and standard practice for plain clothes cops to wear their weapons concealed. Whether by departmental policy or simple common sense. When you are not in uniform, and hence, not readily identifiable as a police officer, it makes good sense not to walk around with your gun handing out for all to see. Now this assumes we are talking about detectives or some other truly plain clothes situation, not guys who had been at training and were wearing badge polos or tac vests or some other obviously "cop" attire.

I don't know what the actual situation here was so don't know how much scorn to heap on the head of the waitress. For everyone on here bashing the manager and pledging to boycott BWW, the manager acknowledged a mistake, apologized for the mistake and tried to make it right. What more do you want from the guy? We get pissed when people make snap, uninformed judgements about what we do. How about giving the guy the benefit of the doubt?