Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Colo. Gov. Signs Trio of Gun Laws

March 20, 2013  |

Photo courtesy of Gov. Hickenlooper.
Photo courtesy of Gov. Hickenlooper.

Colorado's Gov. John Hickenlooper signed three new gun proposals into law Wednesday, drawing ire from Republicans and warnings from pro-business advocates.

Gov. Hickenlooper signed off on bills that would limit ammunition magazines to 15 rounds, require universal background checks for gun sales and transfers, and require customers to pay for the cost of background checks.

The gun-control laws laws created static with at least two sheriffs. Weld County Sheriff John Cooke and El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa said they wouldn't enforce the laws.

Magpul Industries has been preparing to leave its Erie facility, CEO Doug Smith told the Denver Post. The company produces a variety of AR furniture, including its widely popular 30-round PMAGs.

"Large magazines have the potential to turn killers into killing machines," Hickenlooper spokesman Eric Brown told the Post.

Tags: Magpul, Gun Control Advocacy, Sheriffs

Tom Ret @ 3/20/2013 12:02 PM

Gov Poopenscooper believes if only there was a law no criminal will be
able to obtain or use that which is outlawed.

Norm @ 3/20/2013 5:14 PM

Definition of a criminal: Someone who breaks the law
Definition of a Moron: Someone who believes more laws will stop criminals
Definition of a Democrat: Never let a good tragedy go to waste when it comes to the agenda of our party.

Retired NY Boss @ 3/21/2013 7:00 PM

Hope he enjoys his one term.

Tom Conlin @ 3/21/2013 7:01 PM

In a.couple of active shooter incidents over the last few years, I read that the shooters were thwarted by their 100 round drum magazines failing on them. Since these creeps couldn't perform an immediate action drill, it seems to me we ought to ban any mags that hold fewer than a hundred rounds, going by the politicians logic and vast experience in all things firearms-related

LT @ 3/21/2013 7:35 PM

These politicians only do this to draw attention to their names so when it comes time to vote people will be aware of the name and vote for them. Yes, some people are that stupid. We all know that more teens are killed in this country by drinking alcohol than all other drugs combined. So why aren't the politicians trying to do something about that? Hey lawmakers! Wake up and remember the people that voted you in office and gave you and your entire family free benefits for life! Politcians work for the people, not the other way around. Jerks!

gp cobb @ 3/21/2013 9:48 PM

Is the Gov. looking for an Exodus of good businesses in CO? Or a one term? If the revolution starts, (better not finish that one huh?)

Random @ 3/21/2013 10:23 PM

I'm fine with background checks and magazine round limits under 15, but to require customers to pay for the cost of background checks is a tax on a fundamental right for which the revenue is to pay for research into preventing the exercise of said right. If the governement feels that the check fufills a supstatial state purpose, then let it fund it from the general fund.

SA @ 3/22/2013 4:54 AM

Hickenlooper is foolish on this! Doesn't he have any idea how much business he will lose, let alone that there are guys out there doing mag changes in 1-2 seconds? Limiting the magazine size will only shorten his political career (good), and lose millions in business revenue (terrible). What a shame...

Jenann @ 3/22/2013 6:11 AM

What a moron is right! Criminals ALWAYS FIND A WAY! If the State/ Federal government mandate the "universal back ground check" then the State/Federal government should foot the bill for it! I do believe we need the UBG check because too many "other State's residents" can go to another State when they can't pass their own State's back ground check- but as I said, the Govt. should foot the bill. None of this will STOP THE CRIMINALS as I said earlier!

Jim B. @ 3/22/2013 6:31 AM

I support the universal background check for all gun sales. And I don't mind having to pay for the background check, provided it is kept at a reasonable amount, $10 - $20. If you can afford to buy a firearm, you should be able to afford the minor cost of the background check. Yes, I understand owning a firearm is my right under the constitution not a privilege. But it is an individual right and if I am exercising that right, I'm willing to shoulder the burden. Again, provided that burden is kept at a reasonable level. There are already enough taxes that we have to pay for services we don't use or for programs we don't individually support.

By the same token, I think the fee should be paid up front before hand and be non-refundable. So if you are someone who can not own a weapon and fail the background check, you don't get the fee money back that you paid.

Steve @ 3/22/2013 7:18 AM

LT, remember that too many lawmakers are attorneys and would be putting themselves and their fellow "bottom-dwellers" out of a job if they made laws air tight. Take the loopholes out, lose the case/$$$!! Until 'lawyers' are not allowed to be 'lawmakers', we shouldn't expect anything to change!

Robert @ 3/22/2013 7:38 AM

How does a large capacity magazine turn someone into a Killer? Hickenlooper and his spokesman Eric Brown are both idiots. No weapon can turn someone into a killer, whether it's a firearm, knife, rock, hammer or a vehicle, it's the persons mental state that determines what they will or won't do. This sounds like the same reasoning that Diane Feinstein used when she said on 'Face the Nation' that by putting a folding stock on an AR makes it shoot full auto. I don't understand how these people don't get thrown out of office.

Rob @ 3/22/2013 7:39 AM

Mayor Rudy Guillani said it best in the days after the Sandy Hook tragedy that a criminal genius will find the means regardless of what has been banned. It would be interesting to see how many Dems and libs in Colorado own pistols with 15 round mags but have no interest in ARs who supported the 15 round number. As far as background checks go, they're only as good as the databases that are queried, and I understood that the Aurora murderer passed them. I still maintain that what should be banned are the signs that go on doors that have a Fiddled surrounding a handgun with a diagonal line slashing down the middle.

ChiefP @ 3/22/2013 8:30 AM

For those of you that keep saying “I support Universal Background Checks” I need to explain some things you are being misguided on and hopefully better inform your decision making processes. Please take it this for what its worth as I am only a Chief of Police who has been in law enforcement for a few days. The term “Universal Background Check” is solely a Hollywood style political term that has no planning or definition of any kind.

The process has not been thought out or planned in any way and the enforcement side of this process is a logistical nightmare and with most state and local governments will be nearly impossible to keep up with if not impossible all together. The second side to this is it because it was not well designed (or designed at all for that matter) people claiming to support its notion do not understand that it can’t work. I do not mean it can’t work because I don’t want it to, I mean it can’t work because it is flawed in notion. The only way this process will work is if there is a full and total weapon registration of all known firearms in the USA other wise no agency could or can track private weapon sales.

After 50-60 years it might start to work because almost every weapon would have been investigated by some officer in a new agency that has not been invented yet and registered for that purpose. But for short term it will have zero impact what so ever on gun crime. It is worthless, a waste of mine and every other red blooded American Citizen’s time. It is also a waste of our tax dollars and has gone on long enough.

Tom Ret @ 3/22/2013 8:52 AM

Those who think we should expand background checks should be reminded of what Vice President Biden has already acknowledged which is the lack of prosecutions for lying on the existing form 4473 is simply because we don't have the time or manpower to prosecute everybody who lies on the form. In fact, the prosecutions are near a statistical zero the last time I looked (in 2010, it was 44 out of more than 72,000 denied applications).

njmotorcop @ 3/22/2013 9:16 AM

What an ass! More treasonous misconduct from the democrats - no surprise there!

njmotorcop @ 3/22/2013 9:18 AM

Definition of a Democrat: Never let a good tragedy go to waste when it comes to the CORRUPT and SUBVERSIVE agenda of our SOCIALIST party.

Good post Norm, but I had to tweak it a bit to increase it's accuracy!

njmotorcop @ 3/22/2013 9:28 AM

I don't have much of a problem with the background checks as long as those of us who have already passed a check don't have to do it again and it goes without saying that we should not have to pay for it. What other civil right is taxed?

In NJ we have to get a permit from the local PD each and every time we want to purchase a handgun. My town is pretty good and get permits out in a week or so but the more corrupt PDs take much longer. A few months is the apparent norm and 8 to 10 months isn't all that rare. After enduring that unConstitutional process, why did I have to pay another $25 for an "instant" background check when I bought my last handgun? Do they think that their "instant" check will uncover something in 60 seconds that the PD couldn't find in a week?

Juan 10-13 @ 3/22/2013 9:58 AM

You are so on the money my brother...njmotorcop....NJ bites the big one due to it's deeply rooted corruption. As a former NYPD MOS we never,ever hassled another brother who carried in our city no matter where you came from. The problem with issuing permits lies in the minds of the politicos which brings to mind the difference between a lawyer and a con-victed criminal is their office space.

Capt. Crunch @ 3/22/2013 10:53 AM

I do not agree with Gov. Hickenlooper, that large magazines turn killers into killing machines. But I have to say I would not like just anyone to be able to own an assault weapon. I feel lawenforcement and military should be the only ones that have them. I do not want my next door neighbor or the guy accross the street to have one. If it is easy for the good guy to get one it is easier for the bad guy to get one.

Bob@Az. @ 3/22/2013 8:52 PM

Capt.Crunch: Just what is an "assault weapon"? Is it my 1903 Springfield? Is it my muzzleloader? How about my USN issued kbar? Or is it just a term used by folks who don't know anything about weapons? I'm opting for the latter. Blues, Stay Safe.

Tom Ret @ 3/23/2013 9:58 AM

I believe it is Homeland Security that has recently ordered 7500 ar 15 type rifles they refer to as personal defense weapons. That certainly sounds non threatening so from now on all my firearms are personal defense firearms.

Capt. Crunch @ 3/23/2013 10:01 AM

Bob, an assault weapon is most commonly defined as a semi-automatic firearm without requiring the manual operation of a bolt handle, a lever or a sliding handgrip, similiar of military firearms. But I understand where you are coming from and if you are a active police officer I hope you have one.

Jim A @ 3/24/2013 4:38 PM

Hickeyblooper is an idiot. I like your comment, Norm. Except in this case, the last two categories fit.

AJ @ 3/25/2013 7:46 AM

It's Chickenlooper... and if you look at some of his more notable bills signed... marijuana good, anal sex good, second amendment bad...

Bob @ 3/25/2013 12:55 PM

I have been to Colorado many times in the past and greatly enjoyed it. However, with the current "politically correct" Colorado politicians in power I will not be returning in the future. It makes me wonder how much money Colorado will lose out on because businesses, tourists, and future retirees decide to go to other states because of this type attitude toward the rights of citizens.

uslawman1983 @ 3/28/2013 3:41 AM

What happened to Colorado? That state used to be cowboy country.

Bob @ VA @ 3/29/2013 5:32 AM

Capt Crunch - The official Army definition of an "assault rifle" is a select fire (includes a full-auto and/or burst setting) rifle of intermediate caliber that accepts a box magazine. An "assault weapon" is a useless political term invented by people who want to disarm U.S. citizens and leave them helpless. A modern sporting rifle is a semi-automatic hunting/target/self-defense rifle that ranks as one of the most popular firearms in the U.S. It fires a single round per trigger pull, and is the perfect defensive weapon to repel a home invasion. Though it looks "scary" to antis, it is that same furniture that makes it light and easy to shoot accurately. According to FBI statistics, about twice as many people were killed in 2011 by hands and feet than by rifles of all types, and modern sporting rifles are a small percentage of that number. Maybe your neighbors should turn in their hands and feet to keep you safe?

Bobby Kearan @ 9/24/2013 9:42 AM

@ChiefP - I don't think "Universal Background Check" means a firearms registry. I think it means a criminal and mental health registry of people. Whomever is selling the gun, whether it is at a shop, gun show or personal sale, they run the person's name/social/license through the database and if it is clear, sell 'em a gun. Fairly sure those databases already exist. You just don't have to do a background check on some sales.

I think most supporters of UBC think that too. What you suggest as the meaning, I agree with you, is too cumbersome - a Universal Firearms Registry.