Tactical Pants - Galls
A popular choice for public safety professionals, the Galls Tactical Pants are...

Product News

Heizer Defense Introduces DoubleTap Pocket Pistol

October 25, 2011  |

Photo: Heizer Defense
Photo: Heizer Defense

The DoubleTap pocket pistol from Heizer Defense arrives in .45 ACP or 9mm, as a concealed carry gun for officers and civilian end users.

The DoubleTap, which is built on a titanium or aluminum frame, arrives for officers looking for a slim (.665 inches wide) and light (14 ounces) back-up gun. It's the initial offering from this new entry to the firearms market.

The DoubleTap carries two rounds in the chamber and the integral grips house two additional spare rounds. The pistol employs a break-action feature and progressive barrel porting option that cuts muzzle rise and recoil. The ambidextrous thumb latch releases the action and automatically ejects spent cartridges.

The design of the hammer-less pistol is engineered and manufactured in an aerospace facility using aerospace technology and equipment, according to Heizer.

The DoubleTap also features a double-action trigger system that utilizes ball bearings for a smooth action and crisp trigger pull. The DoubleTap's frame gets the same MIL-STD finish used on military aircraft to resist corrosion.

The pistol will be available in the first quarter of 2012.

Editor's note: View an in-depth photo gallery of the DoubleTap pistol to see more of its features.

Tags: .45 ACP, 9mm, DoubleTap Defense, Backup Guns, Concealed Carry

Request more info about this product / service / company

robert @ 10/25/2011 4:46 PM

what will the price be for this gun and will there be a manufactor special like glock and smith have for office

i like the looks of it having not shot it or handled it

thanks
rob

Stan @ 10/25/2011 10:39 PM

I would be interested in testing one of these in the Ti 45 CAL

Hank @ 10/26/2011 2:01 AM

Seriously, St. Louis, USA EARTH!?

Wow, our first intergalactic pistol!

G @ 10/26/2011 2:48 AM

It is called a deranger.

Fed Cop @ 10/26/2011 6:16 AM

Does it have a safety? If it's a"pocket pistol", and doesn't have a safety, someone's going to lose their "nads" reaching for the car keys.

Bruce @ 10/26/2011 6:34 AM

Attorney, "Officer, please tell the court why you fired not one, but two rounds into my client."

Officer, "Well counselor, because the weapon only fires two rounds at a time...".

Bruce @ 10/26/2011 7:01 AM

Hmmmm, 45 cal double tap!!! Does that make it a 90 cal???

M.Conner @ 10/26/2011 7:50 AM

Unless it is extremely cheap(under $ 200) why would anyone consider this as a back up weapon or CC weapon? Yea, I guess something is better then nothing. But I would bet for the price of this "space age" looking weapon, you could purchase a back up that is proven with multiple shot capacities.

Joe @ 10/26/2011 4:44 PM

An article with the relevant details would have been helpful. Estimated cost, mode of fire i.e. reciprocating firing pin, weight of trigger pull, etc. The muzzle flash will be impressive!

AJ @ 10/27/2011 6:46 AM

For my "pocket change" gun, I personally would rather have two .45 cartridges than seven .380's

Paul @ 10/27/2011 7:10 AM

Just called Heizer and they advised the "Base Model"-Aluminum without porting- will be $499.00 and they will go up from there.

MartyB @ 10/27/2011 3:04 PM

WOW!!! This reminds me of the .22 cal High Standard DA Derringer I have. I think that I'd rather depend on the High Standard than this. I have practiced with it enough to know that it will take the fight out of an opponent when put to use the way it was intended to be used. I also know that it acts as a pretty good set of brass knuckles.

This reminds me of the WWII O.S.S. Liberator pistols they dropped into Europe for the resistance fighters.

I think this would be an interesting gun to try to get on the "California Approved List" of hand guns.

SafeArmsReview @ 10/31/2011 10:48 AM

Looks cool but the price is OUTRAGEOUS!

MSRP

Aluminum Non-Ported $499.00 Ported $569.00

Titanium Non-Ported $729.00 Ported $799.00

I'm sorry but even if I won the lotter I would NOT purchase this gun.

I'll keep my glocks & springfields.

RB @ 11/7/2011 5:46 AM

I like it! however, this is assuniming that it only fires one round at a time, has a safety of some sort (or at least the same trigger pull of my .38 airweight), and has some sort of sights (I realize that its meant as a contact weapon but you never know if a limited distance shot will be necessary)......nice idea though!

Pace @ 11/28/2011 11:11 PM

Would have never know about it if it weren't for this story. Is kinda pricey! $5-8 hundred bucks (msrp) depending on material and porting. The Bond Arms derringers are up there in $s too. Plenty of info at http://heizerfirearms.com/

Fran @ 12/3/2011 9:21 AM

Does this weapon fire two shots off at the same time? I am a retired detective with Homeland license and would like to carry this weapon Thanks Great idea

Robert M @ 12/22/2011 12:35 AM

New full-featured site came online today, including pricing. Prepare to be shocked.

DoubleTap™ Specifications*:

Titanium or Aluminum

MSRP
Non-Ported Ported
Aluminum $499.00 $569.00
Titanium $729.00 $799.00

Robert M @ 12/22/2011 12:36 AM

All the relevant info can be found at http://www.heizerfirearms.com/

badge127@gmail.com @ 12/28/2011 3:36 AM

There was a weapon in my early police days late 70's early 80's just like this and it was called the cop, it was a 4 shot .357 magnum, it kicked like a mule, but it was a nice piece to drop in your back pocket if you were working plain clothes, i'll buy one !

bootman @ 12/31/2011 3:20 PM

People will buy almost anything new just to try it or to have it. But I am not sure of how many will want to fire it more than once. And that porting looks more dangerous than the possibility of a discharge in the pocket....

Russ Crook @ 1/22/2012 10:59 AM

Yeh ! They're probably going to charge an arm and leg for this little two shot. If you shoot it at night, be sure to close your eyes 'Cause that ported barrel will not allow a sighted second shot. I'd like to have one as a back-up back-up. lol

Texas resident @ 1/25/2012 12:04 PM

IF YOU CONSIDER BUYING THIS GUN HERE IS WHATS MOST LIKELY GOING TO HAPPEN--- 1 THE DAMMED THING IS ABOUT AS BIG AS MY DICK AND WHEN YOU DECIDE TO FIRE IT AT SOME BODY THE KICK WILL DISRUPPT YOU AIM ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE SURPRISED BY AN ATTACKER. 2 IT TAKES MORE THAN 2 BULLETS IN THE CHEST AREA TO KILL SOME PEOPLE ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVE MUSCLE OR ARE REAL FAT. SUPPOSE THEY ARE VERY PISSED AT YOU ENOUGH TO KILL YOU. THAT LEVEL OF RAGE INCREASES THEIR STAMINA GIVING THEM ABOUT 30 SECONDS OF LIFE 10 OF THOSE SECONDS THEY CAN STILL WORK UP THE STRENGHT TO BREACK YOUR NECK!!! 3 NO ONE IS GOING TO GIVE YOU TIME TO RELOAD YOUR FUCKIN GUN AFTER YOU SHOT THEM TWICE WITH A GUN THAT KICKS SO HARD IT DISRUPTS YOUR AIM SO IN A REAL ATTACK SITUATION THIS GUN IS VERY UNRELIABLE BECAUSE NO ONE IS GOING TO ATTACK YOU WITH OUT A BUDDY UNLESS THEY ARE VERY PISSED AT YOU OR SNEAK UP ON YOU...

JN7573 @ 1/25/2012 12:07 PM

STAY THE FUCK OUT OF TEXAS!!!!! ITS LIKE AN INSANE ASYLUM UP IN THIS BITCH!!! GO FAR FAR AWAY!!! THERE IS A REASON WHY GUNS ARE LEGAL HERE!!!

JN7573 @ 1/25/2012 12:10 PM

YOU COULDNT EVEN KILL YOUR SELF WITH THIS GUN THE KICK WOULD SEND THE BULLET FLYING OUT OF YOUR ASS INSTEAD OF HITTING YOUR HEAD!!!!!!

TEXAS RESIDENT @ 1/26/2012 12:19 PM

I LIVE IN TEXAS AND I WILL TELL YOU FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE YOU WILL NEE MUCH MORE THAN TWO BULLETS UP IN THIS MOTHER FUCKER!!! I GOT MUGGED BY TWO NIGGERS WHO ALMOST KILLED ME AND THOSE FUCKS WERE HUGE!!! TAKES 30 SECS FOR A MUSCULAR ASSAILANT TO DIE FROM 2 BULLETS IN THE GUT

TEXAS RESIDENT @ 1/26/2012 12:23 PM

THIS GUN MOST LIKELY HAS A VERY POWERFULL KICK BECAUSE OF ITS SMALL SIZE AND THE 45 CALIBER ACP ROUNDS IT FIRES SO IT WOULD PROBABLY DISRUPT YOU AIM BY A LOT. AND IN REAL LIFE PEOPLE DONT JUST DROP ONCE SHOT IN THE CENTER MASS SO YOU PROBABLY COULD ONLY TAKE OUT ON ATTACKER IF THAT!!!

Todd @ 2/15/2012 7:34 PM

Price for the .45? OUCH! From their website:
Double Tap™ Tactical Pistol Non-Ported Ported
Aluminum $499.00 $569.00
Titanium $729.00 $799.00

Michael @ 6/11/2012 8:20 PM

O.k. people! Please do your research on this gun before commenting, it fires one bullet at a time and not both at the same time. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! Stupidity PISSES me off.

Steve branch Sr @ 2/19/2013 9:28 PM

I hope the price is discounted to law enforcement. A perfect concealed carry for that up close up and personal event. Knock two times on the rib cage if you have to and call it over