SI Prizm MFrame - Oakley
Oakley Standard Issue has developed an array of contrast enhanced Prizm lenses...

Texas Killer Was 'Crazy As Hell,' Family Says

August 14, 2012  |

Photo via Facebook.
Photo via Facebook.

Family members and acquaintances of the man who ambushed a constable and engaged SWAT officers in a 30-minute firefight described him as a "ticking time bomb" and "crazy as hell."

"At one point, we were afraid that he was going to come up here and do something to his mother and me," his stepfather Richard Weaver told KPRC. His mother Linda said her 35-year-old son was experiencing "mental difficulties" in recent years.

And Shawn Kemp, a local acquaintance of Caffall's, told The Eagle newspaper that he "fits the profile of a dude who might snap."

Caffall fatally shot Brazos County (Texas) Constable Brian Bachmann shortly after noon Monday as the officer walked toward Caffall's residence to serve eviction papers.

Related:

Constable Killed In Ambush Near Texas A&M, Suspect Dead

Tags: Mentally Ill Subjects, Evictions, Constables

Don @ 8/14/2012 4:27 PM

They(the family) thought he was a ticking time bomb. Their words not ours. They (the family) did nothing about it. He had mental problems was all they can say!

jeffrey faulkner @ 8/14/2012 4:31 PM

As Law Enforcement Officers my sympathy and condolences goes out to the family of the Constable . Let this be a reminder to us all that in our line of work nothing is routine . it's just sad the Constable was just doing his job .

TimFromLA @ 8/14/2012 5:06 PM

Now who here is against RATIONAL gun control?

TimFromLA @ 8/14/2012 5:08 PM

And would it not be nice to have mental health care (single payer) or at least affordable mental health care? Wait, that's Obama Care.

Mike @ 8/14/2012 5:12 PM

Obamacare has no chance of helping folks like this. Psychobabble and secular humanism contains no answers at all for this type of person.

A guy like this should not have guns, but how do you determine who might "snap" beforehand? Whose rights are you willing to destroy in doing it?

TimFromAZ @ 8/14/2012 5:42 PM

we already have rational gun control. We should then also have rational freedom of speech ?

TimFromLA @ 8/14/2012 5:53 PM

TimfromAZ, you do? Jared Loughner was deemed mentally stable to buy firearms, but the Army said otherwise. Thomas Caffall, according to his parents said that he was crazy. Tell me, does this seem normal to you? Is this what you want in your neighborhood? Do you think the cops here want to meet up with people like Caffall? There is no real rational gun laws. As strict as California is, how many mass shootings were there? One? Two? No, there needs to be rational gun laws, to not only protect those who carry, but those who swear to protect and to serve. I'm sure the Constable would appreciate it today...but he's dead

TimFromLA @ 8/14/2012 5:57 PM

//@Mike

As sad as this is, at least it didn't play out like the theater shooting where dozens get shot because no one is armed :(//

If he truly were nuts, his family would have had him committed. Under the Affordable Care Act, the family could have him committed, allow the state or my tax money to pay for his medical care, and if he can fit in society, he would remain in the hospital until he's cured.

Again, there are two options. Have him committed or in the streets.

Bob@Az. @ 8/14/2012 6:18 PM

timfromla: By "rational" I guess you mean like you flakes in la have? I have noticed how well thats working for the sheeps of cali. Please,please,go somewhere else with your obuma/feinstien bleatings 'cause we're tired of it. My condolances to Constable Bachmanns family and fellow Officers. Stay Safe.

BlueSheepdog @ 8/14/2012 6:20 PM

Obamacare is costing my father, a retired vet who fought in THREE wars, thousands more every year. I've got the bills to prove it!

Gun control (ie prohibition) doesn't work. Only the lawful obey such laws. We already have the strictest murder control laws than can be created, and they don't work either.

In case Tim is wondering, I'm a street cop who pursues evil on a daily basis. Using the constable's murder for your political agenda is disgusting. God forbid I am ever killed, I do not want some dirtbag to come along and advocate for restricting the rights of the law abiding any more than they are. The government has already gathered too much power for itself. Wait, isn't that what people like you said during the last administration?

John @ 8/14/2012 6:45 PM

TimfromLA: I don't think this (or any) article is the right venue to discuss your liberal/socialist agenda. However, I feel the need to address reality since you brought up the subject. Every component of Obama care raises the cost of health care. These include covering previous conditions, extending the length of coverage for adult children and lifting the lifetime cap on benefits. Tort reform would have been the only way to lower healthcare costs. Unfortunately, the democrats support the trial lawyers.

TripWire @ 8/14/2012 6:55 PM

@TimFromLA

All this sounds great,,,, but who is going to pay for all of this "Affordable Care"? You got it: us. You Obama people have swallowed so much liberal socialist koolaid that you don't see the fact that ObamaCare will not work the way y'all think. Obama has told us time and again (as soon as today) that Obamacare will provide medical (and mental health services) to everyone who doesn't have it now and that it will not raise the taxes of anyone who earns less than $250000. That is the biggest load of bullhockey that I have heard in a very long time, and I perceive anyone who buys into it as either an utter moron or a socialist who wants to fundamentally change this country (and certainly not for the better I might add). I am open to a lot of suggestions but I absolutely am against government run health care. We do need change, but the very first change we need is in the Oval Office and then downhill from there. Giving the federal government this much power over our lives will do nothing but cost more money. Find anything the government has done that came in at or below budget and did not turn out to be an inefficient, bloated, money pit.

You are not going to gain any friends here with your Pro-Obama, Anti-gun rhetoric, so please take your comments over to the HuffPost where you might be more appreciated.

TeeJaw @ 8/14/2012 8:22 PM

If he had been involuntarily committed or mentally adjudicated he would have been a prohibited person and could not have legally obtained a gun. If his family had involved the authorities when they first thought he might harm someone that might have prevented him from getting a gun, but we all know that someone willing to shoot people isn’t going to care about any gun law and will find a way to get a gun illegally. Even the former Soviet Union was not able to stop criminals (the ones not running the government) from getting guns.

Middle of the Road @ 8/14/2012 9:05 PM

@TripWire, and others

Why is it that if someone has an opinion which is not right of center he or she suddenly becomes a socialist? Why attach labels such as "anti-gun" to someone who considers the possibility of rational (well though out) controls on guns, such as limiting the size of magazines, limiting persons from buying military-type weapons, or other ideas? This used to be a country where people could agree to disagree without name-calling. On this thread I've seeing name calling simply because ideas differ. We have all served or are serving in law enforcement. Not everyone is right of center. Not everyone who is left of center is a socialist or "wants to fundamentally change this country." This is more labeling and does not serve to encourage open discussion.

Finally, since you are against government run health care, what do you propose to replace Medicaid/Medical and Medicare?

TripWire @ 8/15/2012 12:11 AM

@Middle of the Road-

About the only thing I am "Right Wing" about is the size and power of the Federal Government. I believe firmly in the Constitution and I believe that we have a duty to honor our oath to defend it. Not part of it, ALL of it. I think that this president has presided over an administration that seems to utterly ignore established Constitutional constraints. I am not naive enough to believe that Bush was any different than Obama. Bush signed the Patriot Act and although he talked a good game, government grew substantially during his rein. So, saying that I am "Right Wing" is not accurate in the least. What I am is sick and tired of the ignorance that seems to abound with people that should (but don't) know the full impact of this presidents programs and policies. The information is out there, you have to look for it but it's there. I have zero tolerance for people who try and promote a plan that has more holes in it than swiss cheese and parrot the talking points from tv commercials. I am open to a lot of ideas and I do believe in the exchange of ideas, but letting the government have control of so much of our commerce and intimate medical and personal information is absolutely insane. I stand by my previous statement and based on a great deal of my own research, conclude that Obama, while maybe not a complete textbook socialist, firmly takes us in that direction. I am comfortable taking anyone to task for supporting ObamaCare because there is no excuse for taking the word of any president especially when there is so much information that fully and completely contridicts his assertions about this law readily available to anyone with a computer who is willing to do a little work. ObamaCare is only a small part of a concerted effort by Obama to fundamentally change this country and if he can't get the Congress to do it, he will go around them with executive orders and mandates that subvert their authority.

Greg @ 8/15/2012 4:08 AM

Whenever somebody starts commenting on "we've got to keep the mentally ill from having guns" I get very worried.

He who writes the rules, get to control the world. The Bama's people (Holder) considers veterans to be potential terrorists, members of NRA to be potential terrorists etc. I've read accounts of the government minions wanting to list any veteran who ever went to counseling as not able to own a gun. So, just how many vets/service members won't get the help they need because they know they'll not be able to own a gun? A self-fulfilling prophecy?

The libs consider anyone who doesn't think as they do as being "not in their right mind"...doesn't take much to list someone as "a potential threat" from there.

Sound like this shooter was nuts...why didn't the family report him? Because they'd only be able to do an observation hold for a very short period...and they'd have a very mad and angry person to deal with. It's the classic, "Are you really sure you want to complain about the biker group next door playing their music too loudly?"

Rick Ret. Sgt. @ 8/15/2012 7:31 AM

What is "Rational Gun Control"? Should guns be taken away from anyone displaying mental issues? Then who makes that call? I agree that this mush was a problem, but we are living in a time when all of society is being made to pay for the stupidity and sins of a few. Why is a white 77 yr. old woman being patted down by TSA? Have white 77 yr old women committed terrorist act? We have a Second Amendment because this country was based on revolution and we are armed to protect ourselves, if need be from tyranical government. There can be no excuse for infringement on that right.

BT Roberts @ 8/15/2012 7:49 AM

I have one thing to say that will clear up all the mysteries and what if’s of government control {whether they can regulate guns or health or anything}, and the ineptitude of its abilities.

The Department of Energy:

This should be citied in every conversation undertaken about government programs, policies, or control.

Billions upon Billions have been thrown down this rabbit hole, how much is gas and were does it come from?

Writing about government programs as an answer to societal ills, whatever they be, shows only naiveté.

TBOW$@^ @ 8/15/2012 8:10 AM

It is not illegal to be mentally ill. Thanks to privacy laws concerning medical issues information cannot be shared with law enforcement unless the individual makes an overt threat about a specific person. Rational gun control laws!!?? LMFAO about that. I will believe that when cars can no longer can go faster then 80. That is the top speed allowed in any state that I am aware of unless some western states have something higher. Cars kill more people than guns. Get the point. I want a high capacity mag and an M4 at home the same as I have at work. Because s*** happens. I shot one fat POS 3 times with a shotgun (00 buck at 7 yards) and he stood there because he had 9 inches of fat over the vitals. One under the arm took care of it. Notice the "media" keeps calling this the Texas A&M shooting even though it happened off campus and and school was not in session. Gun control agenda??

lloyd @ 8/15/2012 8:21 AM

god bless brian bachman & his family my thoughts & prayers are with them this writing above is typical marcsism u know who u are wait till osama obama get out of office & his true socialist self will really come out. that all im going to SAY about that

CONCERNED MOM @ 8/15/2012 9:21 AM

My concern is for the family and fellow oficers of the officer killed in the line of duty. The family of the shooter should have notified local LE that their relative had problems and firearms then they could have approached the evicition prepared. As the wife and mother of law enforcement, and having instructed LEO's for 30 yrs in First Responder I want to thank that brave Medic who attempted to save the Officer's life. STAY SAFE.

Joseph Jeanes, II @ 8/15/2012 9:40 AM

The fact of the problem is how many very violent people there are. The weapon for a violent person can be many things. It is not guns - it is making better people. I was treated horrible by my family, disinherited and during that time, they had me in 35 years of off and on psychiatry. There is no intent on my part to use a weapon other than the ability to secure my premises and call the police. The way the court in Virginia treated me it was almost as if to draw fire - however, Marine Corps Discipline is far greater. In the Marines, it was an officer that gave the order. They often teased me for not trying to obtain my rights but if the court was the harassment by my Family, there was not much I could do. California has been very easy compared to the Mansions of Virginia. It is all a matter of what side you are on. I think God has a place at the table. The court of Virginia doesn't.

Richard @ 8/15/2012 9:51 AM

What do think would have happend had the family called a social agency about their son's mental state (and who says they didn't)? I can tell you, "ok we'll schedule an appt. for him, thanks." Meaning, nothing would have happend.

As far as gun control, give me a break. Gun laws, just like any other law only works for LAW ABIDING citizens. To the best of my knowledge, not one "no firearms allowed" notice has stopped any person from pulling out a firearm and shooting someone if thats what they wanted to do. The entire situation is just tragic, and sad.