Dynamic Plaques - FVT Plaques
FVT Plaques is introducing new dynamic plaques to recognize police and sheriff's...

Facial Recognition

Ask The Expert

Roger Rodriguez

Manager of Image Analytics

Roger served over 20 years with the NYPD, where he spearheaded the NYPD’s first dedicated facial recognition unit. The unit has conducted more than 8,500 facial recognition investigations, with over 3,000 possible matches and approximately 2,000 arrests. Roger’s enhancement techniques are now recognized worldwide and have changed law enforcement’s approach to the utilization of facial recognition technology.

Ky. K-9 Pays Respects To Fallen Handler

June 03, 2013  |

Photo by Jonathan Palmer.
Photo by Jonathan Palmer.
Bardstown (Ky.) Police Officer Jason Ellis was laid to rest Thursday after a funeral service that drew hundreds of law enforcement officers from surrounding states.

Hundreds of police cruisers and other emergency vehicles made the 20-mile procession to the memorial for Ellis, 33, who was killed May 25 in what police called an ambush at an exit off the parkway. He was a K-9 officer for the Bardstown department, but his dog, Figo, was not with him when he was shot, reports the Lexington Herald-Leader.

Figo kept a vigil beside Officer Ellis' casket. During the memorial service, Figo paid his last respects, laying his right paw on the officer's casket in a moment captured by a Herald-Leader photographer. The photo was posted to Reddit and has gone viral.

Dana @ 6/3/2013 12:17 PM

So sad. It breaks my heart

Gabrielle @ 6/3/2013 2:04 PM

OMG! You can see the hurt and pain, RIP Mr. Ellis. My heart goes out the family and friends, and Figo!
Figo you are a true and loyal partner, it tears my heart to see you so upset! :.. (

Boston @ 6/3/2013 4:32 PM

What a bond that develops between a GSD and his partner. Figo will be retired to to Officer Ellis's family I hope. RIP Officer Ellis!

I hope they catch the POS and turn him over to Figo.

Lucita Knight @ 6/3/2013 4:50 PM

Figo is truly sad. He will miss his master. German Shepards are so intelligent; Figo will always remember. We have had so many dogs until they passed away; each passing broke our hearts; our current pet is very protective and loving and demanding. We are fortunate. I hope they catch the shooter!

Twyla Logan @ 6/3/2013 5:12 PM

I was a police officer from 1977 to 1984, and have owned German Shepherd Dogs for over 50 years now. I know what they are capable of and this makes me want to cry with the animal who lost his partner. He is hurting every bit as much as the officer's widow and children, but has no way to understand or make sense of his world being upsidedown now. I will pray for the ENTIRE family this officer left behind, Wife, children, and faithful partner. May God provide comfort to all of them.

nikkozmkm @ 6/3/2013 5:19 PM

RIP

Bruce @ 6/3/2013 5:54 PM

Rest in peace brother. Your watch is done. Your partner will be well cared for.

C. Kimbell @ 6/4/2013 2:48 AM

Now THAT is love for your handler!!! RIP to a fellow officer in blue! God provide the peace that his family, and his K9, will need to get through this time!

Dan Paidousis @ 6/4/2013 4:12 AM

RIP Officer Ellis, and my God comfort your family and special partner.

Trigger @ 6/4/2013 5:20 AM

Brother Jason may the Good Lord hold you close. Thank you for your service.

Robert Mhoon @ 6/4/2013 6:00 AM

Being a former K-9 officer myself, I know what kind of bond a handler has with his K-9. This really brough back some hard heart felt feelings. My heart hurts for Figo as well as officer Ellis's family. God Speed, RIP brother we have the watch from here.

FedAgent @ 6/4/2013 6:33 AM

God Bless you for your service and may God watch over your family and comfort them.

GC @ 6/4/2013 8:28 AM

I went to Officers Ellis funeral, when I left I drove for over 10 miles from the church with people standing by the road side with signs and flags supporting Officer Ellis. The biggest community support I have ever seen! Rest in pease brother.

JFC0632 @ 6/4/2013 8:43 AM

Thoughts are with family and partner, Figo. May we be assured that when our watch ends we are with the Lord in Heaven since we have our time in Hell.

Rosa Lee McDowell @ 6/4/2013 9:01 AM

This is a heart breaking story. I do hope Officer Ellis' family is able to keep Figo. German Shepherds are my favorite dogs because I know how deeply they love. How devoted they are. He will never forget his master.

Daryl Delagrange @ 6/4/2013 9:28 AM

Being a former K-9 handler, I know the bond that develops between the dog and his partner. It is truly heartening to know that "Figo" will remain with his handler's family. They will have a memory of Officer Ellis as well as the dog will have a constant reminder that other family members loved him as well, for the rest of his life!!

Chuck @ 6/4/2013 11:01 AM

My brothers and susters, I have never cried si hard in my life. Gid bless all k9s and their handlers

Paul DePetrillo @ 6/4/2013 2:37 PM

Jason, from your vantage point at the right hand of God, you must be looking down with such pride at the devotion of your faithful partner Figo. Comfort your loved ones by sending them love from above and save Figo and the rest of us a place in heaven. Rest my brother and know that all will be well with your loved ones left behind. We will see you again at the big role call.

Alfaro @ 6/6/2013 11:04 PM

You cannot help but get a lump in your throat seeing that K-9 with his paw upon that casket. The bond of partners, be it human or animal, is so ever lasting. Jason your job here is done, be with him.

Ed Unis @ 6/7/2013 10:18 AM

Iam deeply sorry for your loss God Bless you all.