FBI Raid Frees Child from Ala. Abductor

February 04, 2013  |

FBI agents raided the underground Alabama bunker that had become the focal point of a seven-day standoff with a survivalist and rescued the 5-year-old hostage, reports AL.com.

At about 3:12 p.m., neighbors reported hearing an explosion and shots fired. Agents rescued Ethan and an FBI spokesman confirmed that Jimmy Lee Dykes was killed after officers stormed the bunker in Midland City.

Dykes had been holding Ethan in the bunker since Jan. 30, when he stormed a school bus and fatally shot driver Charles Albert Poland, 66.

Related:

Negotiators Talking To Ala. Captor Through Pipe

Family, Friends Mourn Slain School Bus Driver

Gunman Kills Bus Driver, Kidnaps Autistic Boy

Tags: Hostage Situations, Barricaded Suspects, FBI

Leonard Mather @ 2/4/2013 6:06 PM

I eagerly await hearing about the logistics in acquiring Ethan uknharmed after or before--please inform the public the explosion that apparently did NOT involve Ethan. If Ethan could have separated himself from the bunker, how that was accomplished will be very important information. The explosion might have been a flash banng grenade followed up with SWAT member that I hope were sent to take him out and assusre DOA. It saves taxpayer money defending him for some spurious and frivolous reasoning.

Anthony @ 2/4/2013 6:21 PM

Explosive breach...think HR not Warrant Service...

leave the guess work to the media.

La. Deputy @ 2/4/2013 6:30 PM

Excellent work!! Kudos to the agents/officers who ensured this great outcome!

Rob @ 2/4/2013 6:33 PM

Glad its over and the kid is free.

Bruce @ 2/4/2013 7:01 PM

It is a very sad fact that situation ever took place in the first place. Did it have to end the way it did. We will never know this side of eternity. However, I can tell you with the greatest confidence, the FBI agents are drinking beer and laughing tonight over a family BBQ at how they popped the MF... One more kill for the FBI. Was the perp wrong? Dead wrong! But to celebrate and gloat over capping the MF makes them no different than him.

Chris @ 2/4/2013 7:14 PM

@Bruce....I would be celebrating if I rescued a defenseless child from a deranged man who planned to do some very bad things to that innocent child. Cheers FBI...first rounds on me.

AusFost1 @ 2/4/2013 7:21 PM

Agree with Chris. They did a sheepdog's duty and took out the wolf, while rescuing the lamb. What's not to like? He must've known the risk when he started. Oh well.

Bob@Az. @ 2/4/2013 7:28 PM

@bruce, I think your on the wrong site. The "Rose-Colored Glasses" site is somewhere else. Glad the child is free and back with his loved ones and I hope the FBI SWAT team has a good, long celebration.

H. Finch @ 2/4/2013 7:34 PM

Bruce, Taking a life, no matter how reprehensible the perpetrator leaves a scar on the soul for rest of ones life. Everyone deals with this in their own way. To sit in judgement requires no courage, actually quite the opposite.

Dan @ 2/4/2013 7:40 PM

Theres always one or more who think the dirtbag should have been saved too. Ya cause that worked so well in the past. Lets put him back in prison for the taxpayers to worry about. Lets handle him with kid gloves cause he deserves it. I'm gonna crack a beer thanking that DB is dead and will never get the chance to do this again.

Tschako @ 2/4/2013 8:11 PM

Bruce: Do you see how short sighted it is to equate murder and child molest/kidnaping with celebrating a successful hostage crisis? What a cowardly comparison. We know who you voted for, too.

John Jenerose @ 2/4/2013 8:17 PM

I am wondering why there are posts on here talking about the celebrations that "must be going on". How do you know? Any LE shooting is lamentable, no matter how justified. The professionals that make up the HRT are undoubtably glad the hostage and their teammates are safe, but I strongly doubt they are yukking it up about the dead perp.

Jim A @ 2/4/2013 9:57 PM

I believe the real celebrating is being done by the family that got their child back. The FBI is not celebrating "popping that MF'er" Maybe they are proud of a successful mission - and they should be! But they are not likely proud of having to shoot a suspect. Bruce, you are SICK. The FBI did not determine the outcome; the suspect did! And you feel sorry for him?! You should feel sorry for the child. You should feel sorry for the bus driver instead - but NOT the suspect. With your monday-morning-quarterbacking ability, maybe you are in the wrong profession.

Dennis McNulty @ 2/4/2013 10:03 PM

Perp gets on a school bus, murders the unarmed driver and kidnaps a small child then creates a baricade/hostage standoff. Refuses to come out with negotiation and becomes agitated and is seen with a gun so the HRT initiates a sucessfull high risk entry to save the child and the perp is taken out. Dynamic, profession work by all agencies involved and poor Bruce wants us to feel bad for the perp?? Go cry on copwatch or some other hate cop web site. This one is for real police officers you jerk.

Wayne @ 2/5/2013 1:22 AM

Are you serious Bruce? What makes you think these agents will be celebrating the taking of a life? I know officers who have made the decision to take another life and they did not go out drinking that night. And often the ones who do go out drinking sure don't do it to celebrate. Go over to the bleeding heart site.

rocco47 @ 2/5/2013 4:44 AM

Hey "Bruce"...people like you make me sick to my stomach. You're sitting back in the comfort of your lounge chair "arm chair quarterbacking" the good guys who just rescued a HOSTAGE and then arrogantly assuming the good guys are some how celebrating the taking of a life. The FBI did an outstanding job and rescued that hostage. They also did the rest of the world a favor by eliminating the hostage taker!!!!! Now, why don't you just stick to your bleeding heart, liberal blog pages....

Dan B @ 2/5/2013 6:46 AM

Glad the child and the team are physically well. Emotionally well is a different story for all. This was as good of an outcome as one could hope for, given the cards that were dealt to authorities.

T.Boren @ 2/5/2013 6:54 AM

We should thank Bruce, for reminding us sheepdogs that some sheep really don't get it. Those who are sworn to protect will protect the weak, the children and the clueless. It makes me sad to think how many sheep don't get it; but we still love another enough to lay down our lives when the wolves kill and rob and rape the innocent. Pray for the departed,rejoice in a life saved and praise the valiant for saying: "This day, in this way, I commit to save another!"

MIke Turnbow @ 2/5/2013 7:06 AM

I command a SWAT Team and I make the decisions that can cost an operator his/her life. A crisis entry on a hostage taker is the last thing I want to do. I know there is a better than 50/50 chance the hostage will be harmed or killed. I would much prefer this man walking out and surrendering, but he made the choice. Damn right I am proud of this team for doing what had to be done. Because of them a little boy is going home to his family. Do I feel bad for the dead man...yeah because he caused an operator/operators to have to shoot and that changes the operator for the rest of his/her life. I celebrate a successfull operation because the hostage is alive and well. I celebrate because the stress of six days of waiting and not knowing if and when you might have to go on a moment's notice is over.

JD @ 2/5/2013 7:26 AM

I know the goal is 0 dead even the suspect if possible, but Kudos to the HRT, Thank You for your courage and honor you gave. Great Job on saving the boy and no one else being harmed. If I knew who you were I would buy you all around, but since I dont all I can say is Thank You!

Quiet Warrior @ 2/5/2013 7:37 AM

Good job. Any loss of life is unfortunate, but the FBI/SWAT team performed the job superbly. This is a true testament of their training, knowledge, skills and abilities. Most of us in this forum are either LEO's or military professionals, however I would not publically speculate as to how they did the job, that would violate op sec- there are too many looney tunes out there that could use that info to their advantage. Leave the guess work to the civilians.

Sheep dog wolf cross @ 2/5/2013 9:08 AM

Bruce apparently you are not a peace officer and you watch to many cop movies. Taking a life even a Hi jackers is nothing to gloat over. You will see their face in your dreams and it will bother you until the next one you have to take out. then theres a new face in your dreams. It's not a movie and real cops are regular people that do remarkable thinks. What if it were your child down in that hole with nut case. Would you be singing the blues for him ?

chief o"malley @ 2/5/2013 9:51 AM

I can assure you that those involved in this sitution are not out drinking to celebrate the outcome. Relieving tension is accomplished in many different ways, even if only short lived. By this time,or right afterthe culmination of incident the POST INVESTIGATION has begun. It will probably be thousands of pages dealing with the facts of the incident and what lead up to outcome, why it led up to the outcome and what could have been done, if anything, to change the outcome. I have known of situations such as this that changed the officers involved lives. Some can, if understood and helped, overcome the fact that a life was taken in order to protect a life. It is not as easy as that and all of the investigation that comes now have broken many of good officers down. I pray that those involved are strong enough to over come the degradation expounded by those who cannot see the whole picture because they know best. My prayers are also with the Supervisor and Sheriff and all LE's during this Post Investigation. It would be a great service to LE's if Police Mag would follow up with a full story on investigation and how it progressed.

Capt. Crunch @ 2/5/2013 11:34 AM

I think the State should sell the suspects property and with the money from the sale, pay for the services rendered by law enforcement because of this incident and the rest of the money go to the victim.

kckiss3101 @ 2/5/2013 3:38 PM

Good job done by the good guys. Just ignore Bruce he knows no better. Remember that there are sheep, there are wolves and there are those of us that are sheepdogs. The wolves dislike us but are aware of what we do and why we do it. The sheep fear us because they are ignorant of what we must do. They think that when we must kill the wolf, which we dislike doing, we could turn and do the same to them, never accepting we are their only true protection.