Maryland Police Lose Bargaining Rights

November 07, 2012  |

CC_Flickr: Inventorchris
CC_Flickr: Inventorchris

Voters in Montgomery County, Md., stripped the Fraternal Order of Police's Lodge 35 of some of its bargaining rights by approving the Question B measure.

With the vote, the FOP loses "effects bargaining" rights, which allow the union to bargain over management decisions such as requiring officers to check their e-mail daily and clothing allowances for undercover officers, reports the Washington Examiner.

Torrie Cooke, Lodge 35 president, has said "effects bargaining" also covered critical issues such as shift schedules, promotions, and tranfers.

"It has been in place in Montgomery County for 30 years and worked well," Cooke said. "Those who trivialize such collective bargaining by saying it applies to police officers checking their email are demeaning what we do to preserve public safety."

The FOP lodge was only police union in the state to have such rights.

The Montgomery County Police Department led the 2002 investigation into the Beltway sniper attacks.

Related:

Ballot Measures 2012: Death Penalty, Legal Marijuana, Bargaining Rights

Tags: Police Unions, Montgomery County (Md.) PD, Elections, Shift Schedules

Ima Leprechaun @ 11/7/2012 3:15 PM

This is a personal attack by the GOP against the police. This has to stop or we all will lose. Vote against all GOP politicians they are behind this attack on Police,Fire, EMS and Corrections Officers. The GOP wants to privatize all these services and give huge contracts to their buddies. Colleges are already heading toward unarmed security guards and the south and the midwest are pushing private prisons even though time and time again privatization actually costs more when you factor in the lawsuits. We have got to fight back at the voting booth! The GOP are not your friends they are the devil incarnate.

jnc36rcpd @ 11/7/2012 3:20 PM

Actually, the county executive and all nine county council members are Democrats.

TripWire @ 11/7/2012 3:46 PM

Leprechaun, I would hope that most people don't choose who they are voting for because of a single issue. I don't think that the Republicans are against the police any more than I think that the Democrats want to bankrupt the country. I think that both parties have good ideas and the best thing would be for both parties to hammer out their differences and get some good things done. What concerns me is the idea that everybody relies on the government to fix all that ails us, and that thinking is leading us down a very dangerous path.

Greg @ 11/8/2012 3:49 AM

OMG...has Leprechaun drank the Kool-Aid of the left. Montgomery County is one of the most liberal counties you can find anywhere. As jnc36rcpd noted, all the politicians are Democrat. The voters are all Democrat. If you haven't noticed, the party that supports the police is typically Republican/conservative....many Dems never got over their drug days and their feelings toward police (and the military).

DPB @ 11/8/2012 4:46 AM

Ima Leprechaun, I told you not to come out of your cage and babble at the nice people! Now get back in there!

???? @ 11/8/2012 7:01 AM

@Leprechaun..Stay away from the green Kool-aid. To the rest of us, remember we are sworn to protect the public not our unions. it is not our money, we do not make a profit for our county, we have to stop doing stupid things that cause the public to despise us. We have to constantly remind them that it wasn't the military who responded on the day of the 9/11 attacks it was our fellow officers and firefighters. We are the front line in this nation. Lets bring the pride back to the profession and show the public we deserve the benefits we earn based on the sacrifices we make.

Steve @ 11/8/2012 8:28 AM

I am a long time LE officer in VA. We have no bargaining rights here. The Department has always been fair and my pay is good. If that were to change, I would change departments not force the department to change. Like many others I would always like more, but not from the backs of tax payers who themselves are struggling. To demonize the GOP is wrong and non-productive. There is only just so much money to go around and this is not the time to be selfish. Just a thought!

The Dude @ 11/8/2012 1:26 PM

@ Steve. I agree with your point. The issue is there is plently of money being spent there. The county government chooses not to fund the contracts that were made in good faith with public safety. It isn't a money problem, it's a what we spend our money on, problem.

John @ 11/8/2012 3:10 PM

Have you ever noticed how ignorant and hypocritical liberals are in their beliefs of various political issues? Thanks to jnc36rcpd for pointing out the political affliations of the country executive and council members in what everyone knows is a blue state.

Ima Leprechaun @ 11/8/2012 9:40 PM

Republicans do hate the police just look at Florida, Wisconsin and Ohio where the republican war machine is in overdrive to destroy the police and their pensions. It's you that drank the Koolaid. As for 911 I guess it wasn't President Shrub that denied them health benefits following that disaser. Or the GOP that reduced health benefits for our military. What a short memory you people have but if you enjoy getting screwed then you will never be disappointed by your GOP buddies. From what was said by Greg there is not one republican voter in Virginia and I find that to be amazing a state with 100% democratic voters. As for the hateful DPB please keep all your rants personal you are perfect the way you are. I forgive you!

Ima Leprechaun @ 11/8/2012 9:43 PM

Forgiveness is a liberal weakness and well I dont hate anybody but its quite obvious a few of you still have your sheets and hoods in the closet.

Ridge @ 11/9/2012 2:35 AM

My profession as a law enforcement officer is an objective unbiased service to my community and my country. Unions with their political action committees and agendas have no place in our profession. As for my experience: ever since my department "went union", which I voted against, my pay increases have been less, my benefits have decreased, and my insurance premiums have gone up (just like most everybody else's), but the best part of it, is that I get to pay about $150.00 a month in union dues for it. I will serve my community with courage and integrity and be taken care of by the Almighty God, not a union. *lunch break is over, back to the street!

Jim A @ 11/9/2012 10:43 AM

I think that someone small and green has gone off the deep end.

IL cop @ 11/26/2012 7:45 AM

Leprechaun and Ridge...I come from a Blue State where Dems are abundant and we have Dems voted in that are indicted , convicted, or claiming insanity... Unions were created to protect workers from unfair practices. Be thankful they exist. You would be working 80 hours a week for half pay and owing your soul to the company store otherwise. Dems in Illinois have always courted the union vote. The heads of the unions have always backed the presumed winning party in Illinois. It is like paying the Mob "protection" not to burn down your house. I can tell you from firsthand experience that Dems always treated the police here worst. Pay freezes, pension thefts (redistributed to buy votes) and working without a contract, are all Dem policies. Once they have your vote, they no longer feel accountable to their constituents. They redrew the District maps to dominate the elections here. They created a sanctuary state that does not cooperate with deporting even felonious illegal aliens, yet they wonder why the murder rate is high. Well if you eliminate the death penalty as the lame duck Dems did against the will of the people, advocate being a sanctuary state for felons, advocate people coming to Illinois illegally for future votes, are anti-death penalty, but pro-abortion, then you are an Illinois Democrat. We are anti-gun but pro-criminal, "What could go wrong?" By the way, the Dems here only vote along party lines, your private healthcare is soon to be a thing of the past, like your pension and soon your vacation time will be at risk. You only get the union you deserve. If you have bad bosses and/or bad politicians you need strong unions... If you don't have those problems then you definitely don't live in Illinois.