FREE e-Newsletter
Important News - Hot Topics
Get them Now!

Top News

IACP 2012: NYPD Doubles Gang Unit To Focus On 'Street Crews'

October 02, 2012  | 

Photo: Paul Clinton
Photo: Paul Clinton

To combat "street crews" that cause more violence than transnational gangs, the New York Police Department will double the size of its gang investigative unit, Commissioner Ray Kelly said Tuesday.

As a part of "Operation Crew Cut," about 150 detectives will be reassigned to the NYPD's gang unit to grow the unit to 300 investigators who will monitor social media and develop better gang intelligence on the hyper-local crews. Members of these crews are responsible for 30% of the city's shootings, Kelly told attendees of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) trade show in San Diego.

"We'll focus those resources not on large, established gangs such as the Bloods and Crips, but on the looser associations of younger men who identify themselves by the block they live on, or on which side of a housing development they reside," Kelly said.

"Their loyalty is to their friends," he said, "and their rivalries are based not on narcotics trafficking or some other entrepreneurial interest, but simply on local turf."

He added, "In other words, 'You come in to my backyard and you get hurt. You diss my crew and you pay the price.'"

In mid-September, officers busted 49 members of two warring Brooklyn crews known as the Very Crispy Gangsters and the Rockstarz, Kelly said.

Kelly said the crews are using social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter to brag about their crimes and call for retribution against fellow members who cooperate with police.

Detectives will develop a lexicon of local gang terminology as a part of the initiative, and department lawyers will cooperate more closely with prosecutors, Kelly said.

By Paul Clinton

Related:

IACP 2012: Chief, Officer Discuss Sikh Temple Shooting

IACP 2012: Napolitano, San Diego Chief Welcome Attendees

Tags: NYPD, Gang Investigator, Gang Enforcement, Gang Intelligence, IACP Conference, Ray Kelly, Social Media, Prosecutors


Comments (2)

Displaying 1 - 2 of 2

cap manuel @ 10/3/2012 7:03 AM

if the crews are responsible for 30% of the shootings...who is responsible for the other 70% and what resources are being used to decrease the 70%..even before you deal with the 30%... all need to be addressed but 70 is always larger than 30....

Bob@Az. @ 10/3/2012 3:49 PM

Ah, New York! cap manuel, you are so right! But you forget that it's NYC, land of cockeyed witch hunts for big sodas and letting dirtbags go because you don't want to offend a felon. Why waste 150 gold shields doing what they do best, capturing the bad guys when you can get a press release showing how in tune you are with the citys staggering crime rate. Sure wish there was a real cop in that position but it is a political position and it shows. NYPD Blues, Stay Safe.

Join the Discussion





POLICE Magazine does not tolerate comments that include profanity, personal attacks or antisocial behavior (such as "spamming" or "trolling"). This and other inappropriate content or material will be removed. We reserve the right to block any user who violates this, including removing all content posted by that user.

Other Recent News

LAPD's Most Wanted Fugitive Found Through Facebook
For 11 years, Eduardo Rodriguez was one of Los Angeles' most wanted fugitives, an alleged...
Video: LAPD Kills Man After Running Gun Battle, Vehicle Pursuit
LAPD officers shot and killed a man early Sunday morning after he fired on police and SWAT...

Get Your FREE Trial Issue and Win a Gift! Subscribe Today!
Yes! Please rush me my FREE TRIAL ISSUE of POLICE magazine and FREE Officer Survival Guide with tips and tactics to help me safely get out of 10 different situations.

Just fill in the form to the right and click the button to receive your FREE Trial Issue.

If POLICE does not satisfy you, just write "cancel" on the invoice and send it back. You'll pay nothing, and the FREE issue is yours to keep. If you enjoy POLICE, pay only $25 for a full one-year subscription (12 issues in all). Enjoy a savings of nearly 60% off the cover price!

Offer valid in US only. Outside U.S., click here.
It's easy! Just fill in the form below and click the red button to receive your FREE Trial Issue.
First Name:
Last Name:
Rank:
Agency:
Address:
City:
State:
  
Zip Code:
 
Country:
We respect your privacy. Please let us know if the address provided is your home, as your RANK / AGENCY will not be included on the mailing label.
E-mail Address:

Police Magazine