Weapons

Arsenal's AF2011-A1 Double Barrel 1911

A double-barrel 1911 sends tingles down our spine.

March 22, 2012  |  by - Also by this author

Photo: Arsenal Firearms
Photo: Arsenal Firearms

New Italian firearms manufacturer Arsenal Firearms has arrived with a bang, introducing a double-barrel 1911 pistol that fires two .45-caliber projectiles simultaneously.

At first glance, Arsenal's AF2011-A1 looks like two 1911s fused together, but a closer look reveals a more integrated platform that must have been a challenge to engineer.

Arsenal produced a demo video (complete with accompanying angelic chorus) that shows the firing of eight double-round .45 ACP rounds. In the demo, "4,000 grains of payload [are] sent downrange in about 5 seconds," a narrator says.

A comparible 9mm pistol would require about 30 rounds and several magazine changes to achieve the same result.

While this gun is unlikely to ever see use in law enforcement as a duty weapon, it's clearly an engineering marvel, and we wouldn't decline an offer to shoot one.

Related:

Arsenal's Double Barrel 1911 (video)

Tags: 1911-Type Pistols, .45 ACP, Arsenal Firearms

Beacher @ 3/23/2012 5:00 AM

German manufacturer? So it's not the same company that makes the super expensive AKs?

EJankowski @ 3/23/2012 6:05 AM

Actually, Arsenal Firearms is an Italian company and the AF2011-A1 is made in Italy.

Tinman @ 3/23/2012 10:13 AM

Bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "double tap"

Preacher @ 3/23/2012 12:41 PM

Willie E. Coyote would want one.

Calvin @ 3/25/2012 1:13 AM

What is the cost of this firearm if any body knows?

smokey @ 3/25/2012 2:05 PM

HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!! that is awesome.....

Phlox @ 3/25/2012 3:56 PM

What do you mean Wiley would want one? "I" want one!

Federali @ 3/27/2012 6:13 PM

HOLY LEAD SPITTER!!! I want one! It doesn't look like there would be any practical use for it, but what an awesome toy!

Mike @ 3/28/2012 9:37 PM

How do I get one & how much will it cost me?

Chief Bowers @ 3/29/2012 1:57 PM

I wonder if there are any plans to manufacture it in 10mm?

SenseiDave @ 3/29/2012 2:04 PM

Can't imagine how you clear a jam with this monster, yet I've still got to have one! Better get it soon too before the media gets on it and there is a huge cry from fools that we need to ban this before someone uses it to attack a kidnergarden.

romeo @ 3/29/2012 2:09 PM

I CANT WAIT

RonO4 @ 3/29/2012 2:16 PM

I would love one, BUT I would NEVER use it as a self defense weapon. I think the presumption by a jury would be nothing but negative no matter how justified the shoot. Tough not to love it though......

Leonard Mather @ 3/29/2012 2:18 PM

Hope that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton do not get on the bandwagon being against it. If such a weapon is had and used against a Black by yet another Black, then Jesse and Al will sue the manufacturers. Neither of these two can think clearly, act purposefully or deal effectively with the environment. To quote a hymn: Nobody knows the trouble I see; nobody knows but Jesus..."

Tschako @ 3/29/2012 2:30 PM

Cute, but only good as an expensive "collectors item" Nice engineering feat, though.

D. Elliott @ 3/29/2012 2:32 PM

You have to be kidding me. Police Magazine?... Really.... Before you boys and girls cash in the kiddies' college funds, remember that you are still responsible for the terminal resting place of every round you fire... Try investing in some marksmanship / combat training and practice and quit falling into the "shiny shit" trap. Its cute, in a beastly sort of wa... but I won't be buying one. But if you want one, go ahead and you can miss twice as much! Reminds me of what an old friend used to say..."nail two things together that have never been nailed together before and some schmuck will buy it." I know, I'm grouchy.

Lead Farmer @ 3/29/2012 2:50 PM

D. Elliot,
You're not grouchy, you're a dick.

R. G. Montgomery @ 3/31/2012 5:17 PM

Tschako and Mr. Elliott have this concept down properly.

Great engineering, no sense.

Thinking this will cure one's inability to hit by firing multiple rounds is due for another very deep disappointment. Mr. Elliott, you're not grouchy, you're intelligent.

Mr. Mather has a good point as well; all the political hoplophobes will be condemning this in short order. It's just too eeeeeeevil.

Tom @ 4/12/2012 7:45 PM

I would like to have a price list of the different models of the af2011-a1 and where I could order one.

dvsgod @ 4/16/2012 10:04 AM

california will get screwed

AJ @ 5/2/2012 6:43 PM

An awesome weapon for sure however, I would be just as interested if not more interested in their Strike One. Smaller profile than their Sig counterparts effectively reducing barrel flip and available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .357. http://youtu.be/FUyOuwNCtNM

Thomas J. Nelson @ 5/29/2012 8:47 PM

talk about knock down if the bad guy gets up after being hit with both rounds at the same time I'd let him go free gives double tap a whole knew meaning where can one get one of these

Bob Anderson @ 11/21/2012 5:10 AM

I am usually the o e to go out and buy any new bell or whistle, however I think I will pass on this one. My saying is KISS. Doubling the mechanical components give twice as much possibility of jam or failure. It is cool looking but looks ungainly to fire. Just too big and heavy. Our hand is not destined for such a wide grip AND you have 2 triggers. This means that half your trigger finger has to be used to fire. For fine control shooting I use the tip of trigger finger. With this pistol you must use the entire trigger finger. I think that would be acquard. I have 2 1911's and fire them weekly. As nice as this looks seems like more trouble than it is worth. Bob.

EG @ 12/5/2012 7:26 AM

anyone know how much this beauty costs?

countryboy @ 12/7/2012 7:55 PM

i would like to know what the price for the af2011-a1 is and were to order it !!!!!!!

Justin @ 2/6/2013 12:59 PM

Some of you are missing the point of the second bullet I think. They're not pointed in two different directions so if you miss with one, you hit with the other. The point is to hit with TWO x the firepower. This will require perhaps MORE marksmanship training to master, but I won't miss with EITHER bullet.
And I like it even more because I have huge hands and this might actually fit.

DaleC @ 2/18/2013 5:38 PM

Interesting way to get around high-capacity mag ban :-)

Jameson @ 3/17/2013 10:18 PM

Elliott and Mr. Anderson..Thanks for your Comments and Expertise about this Firearm. Wow what Great info you both have..
One Question...Shot one yet? Didn't think so!

Daniel @ 9/9/2014 12:47 PM