A 73-year-old Oklahoma volunteer deputy charged in the fatal shooting of a suspect in Tulsa went on national television Friday to counter criticisms of his qualifications, reports the Associated Press.
Speaking publicly for the first time since the April 2 shooting, the reserve deputy told NBC's "Today" show that characterizations of himself as a wealthy donor who paid to join the force are "unbelievably unfair."
The Tulsa County Sheriff's Office volunteer also disputed anonymously sourced comments in the Tulsa World newspaper that sheriff's office supervisors were ordered to falsify his training records. The reserve deputy previously said he received active shooter training from Arizona's Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, but a spokeswoman said Thursday the office has no record of that.
The reserve officer said Friday that he is certified to be a reserve deputy. "I have it in writing," he said.