LAPD Officer Stacey Lim's Lethal-Force Encounter

LAPD Officer Stacey Lim details her off-duty lethal force encounter. Lim was driving home after a softball game on June 9, 1990, when a carjacker ambushed and shot her as she exited her truck outside of her Canyon County home. After a 15-year-old gang member shot Lim with a stolen .357 Magnum, she returned fire, ending the threat. Officer Lim recieved the Medal of Valor in 1991.

September 15, 2010
9068 views

Jeff B. @ 5/25/2011 7:39 AM

Excellent Job Officer. This is a Great example of Training, Prepairedness and the sheer will to Survive. This is the world that we live in. This could have happened to any of us !

gwhh @ 4/8/2013 7:54 AM

I read she got 116 pints of blood transfered during this event!

Georg Olsen @ 6/9/2013 2:53 PM

I had the privilege of knowing this inspiring and amazing young lady when she was in the LAPD Academy as well as at the time of her shooting; she exemplifies the reason you should make sure that you "Stay In The Fight"! Looking forward to reconnecting with her when she speaks at the NAPOA conference in Las Vegas next month.

American Citizen @ 7/27/2013 2:06 PM

I'm glad Officer Lim made survived that vicious attack. Lucky for her that, even while off-duty, she's permitted to carry a firearm to defend her own life. So what about the rest of us citizens for whom Officer Lim and her colleagues & superiors work?

Eve Flanigan @ 10/10/2014 10:12 PM

Thank you, Officer Lim, for providing a great example of survival mindset. Your story is a big part of my motivation to keep training myself and keep teaching people to fight and win. Very thankful to live in New Mexico, a shall-issue state.

Larry Collins @ 9/20/2016 8:41 PM

Just stumbled on this one and recognized Stacey Lim's name. I was the new captain of L.A. County FD Engine 107 that night in Canyon Country, and we rolled up with (paramedic) Squad 107 and came around the corner to find the suspect lying in the gutter with fatal bullet wounds, and Stacey on the sidewalk already unconscious with a massive chest wound, and neighbors yelling that she was a cop, (she was off duty in civilian clothes). My crew went right to work on Stacey as I made sure there were no more shooters and then as soon as the first Sheriff units arrived I jumped in to help my crew with Stacey (I was still certified as a paramedic in the captain's rank) who was in "extremis" with no blood pressure and losing massive amounts of blood and clearly it was not looking survivable unless she got immediately into surgery. So the crew of Station 107 quickly applied the MAST suit used back in those days, got one IV line going as she was loaded into the ambulance, & started another IV..

Larry Collins @ 9/20/2016 8:42 PM

en route to Henry Mayo Medical/trauma center, with the radio man making sure the trauma team was ready for a police officer who was about to go into traumatic cardiac arrest (and she did). That her life was saved that night, after all that blood loss under those conditions, was one of those rare victories over imminent death. So when I occasionally hear Stacey's name I'm thankful she got another shot at life and took it, and that she got to live a full life.