Fla. Deputies Arrest CC Holder

Florida Carry has filed a lawsuit over the arrest of a concealed carry holder by Citrus County (Fla.) Sheriff's deputies at a vehicle stop in 2009. Read the full story here.

July 24, 2013
2351 views

Tags: Concealed Carry, Vehicle Stops, Patrol Car Video

William Simes @ 7/25/2013 3:53 PM

That officer is way out of line. He needs to be disciplined and educated ... severely.

Mark @ 7/25/2013 4:39 PM

This happened near where I live. I saw a local news report on this story. This deputy is a total moron. He stopped the guy for an expired tag. For some reason he then orders the guy out of the vehicle. Then once out he asks him for proof of insurance. Which that is not standard to ask for insurance in Florida. When the guy turns around and reaches inside for his insurance card his shirt lifted up a little and the deputy spotted the bottom of the holster. Then said deputy proceeds to flip out including cursing up a storm. Deputy dumb-azz tries to charge him for open carry. The charges were dropped quicker than anything by the state attorneys office. The guy did file a complaint but it went no where. Only now has this deputy been suspended and an investigation launched since this has gotten media attention. Keep in mind this happened about 4 years ago. Nothing was done at the time to the deputy.

I have worked with some cops who are against guns and against people having them. I am guessing this is one of those cops.

Ima Leprechaun @ 7/26/2013 3:34 AM

Legal carry or not, the Deputy has a right to protect himself. The driver of the car does have the duty to inform the officer that he is armed under the concealed carry law. I would have done the same as the Deputy and probably not as politely as the Deputy in the video. You have no way to know if he is legally carrying a gun or not. Or if the violator has offensive intentions. Police are not mind readers. But after he was prone and secured a check of the database would show if he was legal for concealed carry or not. I don't like concealed carry laws they cause too much senseless violence and road rage. I prefer open carry so the weapon is visible to everyone which enhances safety for everybody and the gun nuts can still keep their weapons. But there is a duty on the gun carrier to inform Law Enforcement immediately that they are armed just to avoid dangerous situations like this. The Deputy was in the right to secure the suspect until his concealed carry could be confirmed just for Officer safety reasons. The charges should never have been filed after confirmation of the concealed carry but up to the point of the arrest everything the Deputy did was by the book.

LEO in Florida @ 7/26/2013 6:55 AM

I can not defend this officer's actions. Although there could be a mariad of "what ifs", the brief exposure of the weapon is completely different than his pants being tucked in and it being purposefully exposed. The officer does have the right to protect himself and tough guy officers do feel they can overreact and use officer safety as their reason. There is always a Leprechaun who feels it necessary to defend poor policing. Of course if you werent there don't criticize. Jurors aren't usually there at the time of the offense either so they have to go on what they see.

Tyson @ 7/26/2013 9:44 AM

The officer is an Idiot, What is wrong with him??

Mark @ 7/26/2013 5:33 PM

@ Ima Leprechaun,

You obviously do not live in Florida nor know Florida laws. There is no duty in Florida to tell the officer that you are armed. Furthermore, the brief exposure of a concealed firearm, which is what happened in this case, is specifically NOT a crime in Florida. So this deputy was wrong all around. Hence why he is suspended and being sued.

Fellow LEO's, many people are allowed to legally carry a gun (over 1 million people in Florida alone). They are not criminals. Do not treat them as such. Or you will be sued. The guy you think is a criminal could be a fellow LEO in plain clothes or off duty. Think about that. Would you like to be treated like this say if you were off duty one day?

pb5912 @ 7/27/2013 10:15 AM

I can't believe all the negative comments. I would have done the same thing! Are you for real? If the driver would have told the officer it would have been handled more calmly but still cautiously I'm sure. How dare you people that haven't walked in our shoes second guess how we do our job, you are truly ignorant! The officer "lost it" are you kidding. So we see a gun in a waistband with no other information and we are supposed to sit down and have tea? My God. Thank God he complied, if not he could have been shot. Instead of second guessing our job how about you watch videos of police getting killed and see how much you'd like to do our job! When it hits the fan we come and face the storm, if you're so anti-police then handle your trash yourself and don't call us!

Ron Bartlett @ 7/28/2013 1:28 AM

pb5912 I have walked in ur shoes for over 26yrs and I am still on the job. You state that you would have acted the same way... Well guess what you would have been just as wrong as he was. I'm all about Offer's safety but to over react to a sutiation that is clearly non threating is totally uncalled. I guarantee you if that would had been me and I was treated the way this gentlemen was I would have your job and a new bass boat to boot.

Mark @ 7/28/2013 11:31 AM

@ pb5912,

This is Police Magazine. I am going to safely guess everyone reading it and commenting here either is a cop or was one. Did I just blow your mind?

AJ @ 7/29/2013 7:19 AM

CCW holders, step one when contacted by law enforcement. Declare you have the license and are presently carrying. Officers... detaining and situation control and officer safety are paramount but there is no rule that says you have to arrest if everything checks out. Use some common sense. The supreme court says it is okay to de-escelate a detention.

AJ @ 7/29/2013 7:19 AM

mike @ 7/29/2013 7:20 AM

Like my old boss used to say about police work, we don't do things just because we can. He specifically said, when I was first hired, that if you stop a resident of the city who has a gun , was not up to 'no good' and does not have an arrest record, let them go. A lot can also be accomplished with out screaming and yelling at people.