Ore. Cop Stops Open Carry Activist

An open-carry activist posted a video to YouTube of his interaction with Klamath Falls (Ore.) Police Officer Mike Nork, who detained him to check if he was carrying a fully automatic rifle.

August 24, 2012
3459 views

Tags: Open Carry

holy moley @ 8/24/2012 3:47 PM

Please don't use the Constitutional Right to justify your immature behavior. The officer was justified for the stop and you just took valuable time from his duties to prove a point. Grow-up and leave the rifle at home. If your so concerned about your rights, then get a conceal carry permit and carry it concealed like a mature person would do. Your lucky to have a professional officer stop you. In New York, you would probably have gotten your ass shot off, just to prove a point! How stupid is that.

Sgt. Dean @ 8/27/2012 10:00 AM

THIS is what a professional suspicious person interview should look like. This video should be shown as a "what to do" at the academy. Thumbs up to KFPD and Officer Nork, this is what makes our jobs easier to do than harder.

Dan T @ 8/27/2012 1:53 PM

Not sure if either of the two repsondents to date rare Oregon Officers, but as an Oregon resident myself I can say several thigns about this. One of the most misunderstood aspects of federal and Oregon state gun laws are the open carry laws. I believe that on a national and state level that a dialogue with officers and with the citizenry about legal ownership, open carry, concealed carry, and the legality of these actions would benefit a lot of people. There is a lot of fear that stems in large part from a misunderstanding of the laws and from the common media portrayal of fireamrs that is unecessary.

In oregon there are many open carry meetups where groups of informed, legal, and calm citizens gather for coffee or games in a park, etc and there is usually a person or two designated to be available to those bystanders that may want to ask questions.

In this video it is obvious that the individual attempting to exercise his 2nd's misunderstood an aspect of the NFA and therefore was unaware of the officers decision to detain. While in many cases in Oregon I have encountered sadly many officers not as well versed in firearms laws of the state as one would like, there are many, like this officer that do understand those details. I applaud this officer for his attempt to de-escalate, to explain his actions, and to explain to the individual why his detention was warranted. The only thing I would have liked to see different was the officer ask initially if the individual has a class III FFL before continuing on to distinguish whether or not the firearm in question was in fact a fully automatic weapon. I wish more officers conducted themselves as officer Nork did in such instances.

Hoffa45 @ 8/27/2012 4:52 PM

Outstanding professional job Ofc. Nork a credit to KFPD. I have supported / defended our Constitutional Rights for over 25yrs. through military and public service. However, my support for 'citizen open care' and supporting laws is lost when individuals as such attempt to justify immature and damgerous behavior which places everyones life at risk. Additionally, they street attorneys greatly failed to prove any real point besides ignornace!

notmeofficer @ 8/28/2012 3:16 AM

What a total spudnut
Because we have the right to do a certain activity does not mean we shouldnt exercise good judgement

If I were off duty and saw these weirdos it would at least justify a 911 call... and perhaps some kind of intervention... including the very real possibility of making some kind of fatal mistake

Ofcr Nork handled this with incredible professionalism

Here in California my interview and detention would have been done at the end of an Ithaca or ar in full prone. The spudnut would have to be squeaky clean to walk

What a total knucklehead.... He is heading for a pine box with some citizen who takes him out with "reasonable fear and suspicion"

Jason Barnes @ 8/28/2012 9:06 AM

Kudos to professional officers and professionals. Totally pro in the face of deliberately obnoxious citizen.

Kevin @ 8/28/2012 10:13 AM

I think Mr. Open Carry just wants to make videos of himself wasting other peoples' time. I'm a pistol instructor and I like the fact that I have the privledge to carry or own a gun. If an officer asked me about my gun, that's his job, to make sure I'm not an idiot, and for me, I want them to know I'm on their team - against badness. But these guys are embarrassing and such children. I think that officer was so cool, but should have been paid Holiday pay to taze that kid in the face, just because everyone knows he's just trying to be a problem for anyone who will listen. Just one more reason a digital camera was a bad thing. There's another one on YouTube of a kid walking up to a random traffic stop just to tape it and "protect the lady's rights" - with an empty gun on his belt. Why would you carry an empty gun unless you reeeeally just wanted to be a jerkoff. Such a shame people have to behave like that. What's even more interesting, is that in my hometown, and probably a lot of places, an officer in the car behind you runs your plates. I've been in ride alongs where every stop light or slow traffic, they reach over an punch in the car in front of them, "just in case". Boy would some of these activists love to hear that. But guess what... it's part of keeping scumbags off the street. Hate hate hate these people.

John Russell @ 8/28/2012 7:11 PM

I think this Officr was very very fair with you and I believe in everybody has right to open carry but your carrying a F ###g G-3 auto other than in SYRIA -IRAQ or some GUN Range you are absolutely not in the right --POLICE stopped you because of what is called INTENT you are carrying a very deadly weapon wiht serious killing capacity and even SWAT don't get these maybe M4s?

G3 .308 M4s are 223.. varmit rounds one .308 will kill -enough said.

?

PC9744 @ 8/29/2012 9:42 AM

"Are you putting my magazine in my butt?" Wow...just shows the level of competence of this guy and his crony. Officer Nork, you should be commended for throwing it back in their faces and asking them to look into the reserve program..ha ha...good luck. A FAIL for the civil-rights-violation video fishing expedition and a WIN for the cops. I wish there were more of these, as it inspired me to remember to always try to win with words first- whether or not on video.

Bob@Az. @ 8/29/2012 12:12 PM

Wow. Officer Nork is a shinning example of a well informed street cop and a diplomat at the same time. Not once did he "talk down" to this young man and even invited him and his pal to join the PD! Fantastic video that should be used in every department in the country. Great job Officer Nork. Stay safe.

Stan/NE @ 8/29/2012 6:16 PM

Yes its is leagal in many juristictions to open carry. But why, if you think by exercising your 2nd Amd right gives you the right to walk around with heavy armor exposed to the public, a public who are already in fear of walking down the street, going to the movies, going to school, etc. These people will be the reason gun control get expanded. Kodo's to Officer Nork could not have handled situation any better.

Random @ 9/9/2012 4:18 AM

Wow! That officer hand extremely professional attitude, demonstrated well practiced tactical skills, and communicated clearly.

I have 2 legal questions about changing him with a crime. If "Disturbing the peace" is defined” as the doing of specified violent, boisterous or disruptive acts” and "any other act in such a manner as to unreasonably disturb or alarm the public." The actions shown also fit the definition given here: http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/white_collar_crimes/disturbing-the-peace.htm I would say that that such a weapon was likely chosen to “disturbed or alarm” as part of a planned protest. I feel it would reasonably lead to apprehension in the general population due to the nature of its appearance. . If the officer did get a call didn’t the suspicious actions then become citable? It is like intentionally carrying a rifle that is 9ft long and covered in spikes; its decorative nature makes it designed to disturbed even another open carrier.

1. Could he be cited for disturbing the peace? (Can the decorative nature of a thing change its purpose?)

2. Due to his act make him a threat to his own health based upon his intent to disturb the peace with a firearm. NCIS 2007 requires that adjudicated mentally defective people loses the right to keep guns. If he loses his gun upon a count of 5150; why not have him committed and remove future similar issues with him and guns?

Hollums81153 @ 9/11/2012 4:13 PM

I wonder if the dash cam recorded Officer Nork in tears from laughing at that dumbass.

MARTINEZ_2386 @ 10/17/2012 7:33 AM