N.C. Cop Resigns In Road Rage Incident

Onslow County (N.C.) Sheriff's Deputy Craig Culpepper has resigned after he was captured braking in front of a driver who struck him and called 911. The motorist recorded the encounter. Read the full story here.

March 21, 2013
5754 views

Tags: Onslow County (N.C.) Sheriff, Traffic Accidents, Citizen Video

416 @ 3/21/2013 6:41 PM

Got to be more to this than that. We've all slowed down to make someone stop tailgating or speeding

John @ 3/21/2013 6:51 PM

I have to say NC officer in the wrong,when I learned to drive we were
told to stay out of blind spot of other car,left lane in SC is passing lane
slower in right lane that cop needed to resign that was danerous
and stupid what he did.

Dustin @ 3/21/2013 7:07 PM

Both were in the wrong. Got a typical "I drive a big truck so outta my way" tailgater. Would love to see the video from the beginning, looks like he conveniently turned a cell phone cam (not a dashboard camas the article said) on after something else happened. More to this story I'm sure!!!

Doc @ 3/21/2013 7:11 PM

He should Not have been in that Left lane, that is for passing and I hate when people hog the left lane.
You always have people that will ride in the left lane to make people go slower, but that's Not the way to do that. If someone does not want to Pass, they need to stay out of the left lane and set the example. That guy needed to lose his job, playing games like that, and he must not have known he was on dash cam. I try to always act as if I was being recorded, because you never know when you are being recorded.

Mike @ 3/21/2013 8:27 PM

Resigned for what?! There's evidence of what here?! Indeed, 416, there MUST be more than "this."

gp cobb @ 3/21/2013 9:41 PM

If you drive a truck, it is obvious who is wrong here. I do not believe passing on right on three lane is illegal. Not in any states I have driven in. Nor is driving in extreme left unless posted so. Ben wrong B4.

VetCop @ 3/22/2013 4:41 AM

This is BS - the guy was already verbally attacking the officer before anything happened. Typical VIDEO jerk who wants to see every cop burn. The officer was trying to slow him down. Its obvious he could have called it in to SC Officers for assistance, but chose to just slow this guy and now his job is gone? I am sure there is PLENTY more to this story......Dashcam guy is on a mission or he wouldn't have a Camera and talking trash on PD. I do not see anything that is that bad!

Larry @ 3/22/2013 5:38 AM

Officer was probably driving the posted speed limit, the truck driver wanted to drive over the speed limit but could not pass because of the officer in his way. The officer should of pulled to the right, called local police or hoped one was sitting down the road. He should not of done what he did.

Jim B. @ 3/22/2013 6:10 AM

The officer was fine until he sped up after being passed, cut in front of the truck and then hit his brakes. Even if there had been no collision, that still looked bad. I don't think it should have resulted in his losing his job but it still wasn't the right thing to do.

I'm not at all defending the d-bag taking the video. As Officer Culpepper stated, the guy baited him and he fell for it. I routinely drive my patrol vehicle outside of my jurisdiction. I know the feeling when someone speeds past me or tailgates me. It's that "How dare he blatantly do that in front of me!" syndrome. But I got over it a long time ago. When you are outside of your jurisdiction, mind your own business and let the other motorists, idiots and otherwise, mind theirs. It's not worth getting upset about and definitely not worth losing your job over.

Jim Davenport @ 3/22/2013 6:20 AM

I agree that there was more to this incident. The deputy loses his job, but the other driver should have his license suspended, as he filmed his own aggressive driving! I really dislike the fact that everyone nowadays is a "reporter" with a camera.

Jckmustang @ 3/22/2013 7:46 AM

I read this on another site that stated the deputy was driving on the left lane at 60 mph in a 70mph zone. Texas troopers seem to do this a lot for what ever reason (not all of them). Drive the speed limit or you could be impeding traffic which is an offense. And most states I've driven in have signs staing sl

Jckmustang @ 3/22/2013 7:47 AM

Slower traffic keep right. But then deputy does same thing and speeds up and cuts the guy off and brake checks him to boot. Really!? Act like you always being recorded is bottom line in today's world.

Capt. Crunch @ 3/22/2013 9:39 AM

I cannot understand why the deputy resigned. The motorist should have been booked.

Whippoorwill @ 3/22/2013 10:29 AM

Hey #416...no, I've NEVER slowed down in front of someone to get them to stop speeding. That's aggressive driving behavior and you could get yourself in A LOT of trouble doing crap like that. So you're the one that does that all the time?

Donna @ 3/22/2013 11:08 AM

From the get go this guy was messing with an out of state officer just because he can. Tailgating is aggressive driving and the gentleman driving while video taping, and tailgating should be prosecuted for these offenses.

Joe @ 3/22/2013 12:28 PM

WOW, I thought this disrespect for the law only existed in the liberal Northeast. The sheriff shouldn't have resigned, the operator should have been arrested for reckless operation by State Troopers.

Shawn krantz @ 3/31/2013 1:55 PM

if that would have been me ride side by side with someone that cop with a probably pulled me over and got me for struction to traffic flow I'm glad someone had the courage to tape this video to show the public what cops really do

Mike @ 7/23/2013 9:26 PM

The video tough guy saw an out of state officer and decided to basically bully a now fellow citizen and not a police officer.

Judith @ 4/13/2014 11:59 AM

When you are in the left lane and someone comes upon you, you pull over to the right and let them pass. That cop was deliberately blocking traffic by staying side by side with the car next to him. He obviously had a problem to begin with such as rivalry between the states, etc. The passing and slamming on the brakes is unfathomable. What must the public think that saw that. You don't take advantage of your powers. Sadly, he was a K9 officer so the dog gets punished too. He needed firing definetly.