Security Policy and the Cloud

Ask The Expert

Mark Rivera

FBI-CJIS Security Policy Compliance Officer

Mark Rivera, Customer Retention Manager and CJIS Security Compliance Officer with Vigilant Solutions, served for sixteen years with the Maryland State Police, retiring at the rank of First Sergeant with thirteen of those years at the supervisory and command level. He holds a Master of Science Degree in Management from The Johns Hopkins University and Secret clearance through the FBI, Baltimore.

Cruiser Joyride In Texas

A burglary suspect escaped the rear of a White Settlement (Texas) Police cruiser, and got behind the wheel. His joyride was captured on the cruiser's dashboard camera. Read the full story here.

December 10, 2012
2513 views

Jeff L. Rose @ 12/11/2012 5:35 PM

I was wondering if he was handcuffed with hands in front or behind him.

Capt. Crunch @ 12/11/2012 9:11 PM

The suspect looked skinny so he probably was able to slip the cuffs from behind to the front of his body. I think the problem here is with the patrol car, the rear windows and rear doors should be made to prevent them from opening from inside of vehicle.

TERRY ZECH @ 12/12/2012 4:35 AM

I believe this guy was flexible enough to manuver the handcuffs from behind to in front and do what he did. I hope that is what happened.

S.S @ 12/12/2012 6:17 AM

This is still embarassing. Bet that officer is going to hear it from his or her fellow officers. Glad it worked out though. No officer or civilian was hurt.

Dan @ 12/12/2012 6:50 AM

to Capt. Crunch: Most cars with power windows have a switch on the driver's door to disable the windows for those agencies not wishing to make it more permanent by disconnection. As for the door handles, it is a simjple fix to remove the handles either by the agency themselves or at a dealer.
I am glad nobody was hurt (except their pride).

Pup @ 12/12/2012 10:09 AM

I'm sure the officer was quite embarassed and learned his lesson. As for being handcuffed in front or back, it's taught from day one, when you have a suspect in custody or detained, you never leave them alone, and unattended. This incident is one of the reasons why you or your back always maintans visual of the suspect.

Capt. Crunch @ 12/12/2012 8:58 PM

To Dan: You should have sent your comment to the White Settlement P.D. Maybe they can make their patrol vehicles safer for the officers and like you say it is easy also I don't think it is the officers job to take the rear door handles off. I'm, glad the POLICE OFFICERS did not get injured.

Mike H @ 12/13/2012 6:48 AM

You NEVER-NEVER-NEVER take your eyes OFF YOUR PRISIONER!!

James Harrison @ 12/12/2015 6:28 AM

This begins at the end of my street where I live. I am a FFL/SOT at my house, and I find this unsettling in my neighborhood. The place they got him at has more problems though. They attract this. Glad they leave my street alone.

James Harrison @ 12/12/2015 6:30 AM

This is at the end of my street where I live. I am a home FFL/SOT, and I find this unsettling. The particular business he was caught at has a lot of problems.