Fatal Officer Crash In Ohio

The Willoughby (Ohio) Police Department released dash-cam video from a crash that killed Officer Jason Gresko. A truck can be seen turning into the officer's path. Read the full story here.

October 09, 2012
12804 views

Tags: Willoughby (Ohio) PD, Police Vehicle Accidents

Robocop @ 10/9/2012 4:46 PM

RIP my brother. Officer Jason Gresko's name will go down in the history of Willoughby Police Department. Prayers go out to his family and friends and they will be taken care of by Jasons Brothers.

Kevin @ 10/9/2012 5:10 PM

R.I.P. fellow brother. God bless your family and friends. - NYPD

msodoug @ 10/9/2012 5:30 PM

May the good lord welcome you with open arms, for you have done your job well

Sheriff Robert H. Beltner @ 10/9/2012 6:05 PM

R.I.P. Officer Gresko!!Thank you for your service,now rest in your heavenly home there with Jesus forever!!!May Gods love bring peace to your family and friends yhat miss you here on earth.

Stuart @ 10/9/2012 6:35 PM

May you rest in the arms of Jesus my brother. God bless your family, friends and co-workers as they deal with this loss.

TERRY L MILLER @ 10/9/2012 7:40 PM

May the Lord bless you and your family at this time of sorrow. You will be missed.

Justin @ 10/9/2012 7:57 PM

Sorry but I respectfully disagree with anyone that thinks that this is the Ford drivers fault. If you have a siren, use it! No matter what department policy says. This is simply a tragic accident. Trained emergency vehicle drivers should not hold others to blame for the combination of high speed and little to no warning when they aren't using all warning equipment available to them. A citizen making a turn into a driveway on a residential street should not be expected to recognize a trained officer flying at them at 90 mph and realize in milleseconds what they should do or not do.

Carl @ 10/9/2012 8:20 PM

I know because those bright flashing lights when it's dark isn't enough for the driver to see. Unless drunk I agree tragic accident. But let's not blame Officer bright police lights at night he should see if paying attention. I missed where it said he was going 90 mph please tell me where u read that so I can read the article. The above article I'm only getting partial article not loading properly.

Bob@Az. @ 10/9/2012 8:52 PM

Justin: So if Officer Gresko would have used his siren the other driver would have heard it? Even though he couldn't see the flashing blue lights approaching him? Also, I guess you have a inside track to the Officers speed as I can't tell exactly how fast he was going, although 90 mph seems a bit high, not quite the speed of light. As he was answering a "need assistence" call he may not have wanted to alert the reason for the call. RIP Officer Gresko. Blues, stay safe.

Bobbie @ 10/10/2012 3:15 AM

No matter whose to blame, we've got to remember that not one but two families lost a member in this tragedy. God be with his perosnal family, and the brothers and sisters of the department he left behind. RIP Officer Gresko.

Scoul @ 10/10/2012 3:20 AM

I am sad for the family's loss and proud to know officers still kick the pig when another officer calls. Thanks for your service Officer Gresko.

The siren issue is this:
Let's say your siren can be heard for 1/4 mile.
If you turn your siren on and the drive at 1 MPH, the other traffic will hear your siren and have 15 minutes to respond and get out of your way.
If you drive at 30 MPH, traffic will have 30 seconds to respond.
If you drive at 60, then traffic has to find the source of the siren and respond in 15 seconds.
If you travel at 90, you are only giving the others 10 seconds to pull over.
This formula can't account for morons!
Lets not forget, even if he just had his headlights on, he still had the right of way.

Nichole @ 10/10/2012 4:56 AM

There is no way in hell that guy didn't see him coming. You can see the headlights from the truck at the very beginning of the video! It looked like that idiot was waiting for him and turned on purpose.

Blessings to the family, what a horrible tragedy.

Chief Mike Hardesty @ 10/10/2012 6:19 AM

Its always a sad day when we lose a fellow brother. Your family will be in our prayers here at West Pike Run Twp. Washington County PA. Chief of Police Mike Hardesty

OLD SGT @ 10/10/2012 6:41 AM

That is not a FORD truck it is a CHEVY! This same thing happened to me on an emergency run, I "swerved to aviod" to the left, but still clipped the truck and it sent me spinning into a light pole. That collision about ended my life, my seatbelt and vest DID save my life.
Failing to yield to an emergency vehicle resulted in this officer's death!
That was no accident! Steering into the path of an oncoming emergency vehicle shows "Criminal intent" ! ! !

Dan @ 10/10/2012 6:43 AM

To Justin: Are you for real?!? Common rules of the road dictate you do not turn in front of a vehicle travelling toward you. Also, it is a Chevy, not a Ford. See the big gold emblem on the grill? Also, who said he was travelling 90 MPH? I don't disagree he should have had his siren operating. In my state, you are not operating an emergency vehicle unless you have flashing lights and siren operating. Was he trying not to give his approach away to someone the other officer was dealing with?

Dan @ 10/10/2012 10:38 AM

Scoul said it best, lights on or off; siren on or off; LEO had the right of way. Most people, when they see an on coming car, will wait, but if they decide to turn into on coming traffic, and realize the on coming car is going faster than they thought, they usually speed up to get out of the way. They CHEVY truck looks like it was taking its own sweet time. Impairment? Alcohol? Medical Marijuana?

Next issue, I believe the law is the same nation wide when it comes to emergency vehicles. Drivers shall yield to the right of the road and give right of way to emergency vehicles. This guy obviously turned left, instead of yielding to the right shoulder.

He was wearing is seat belt, wearing a vest. He tried to avoid the car, but ended up hitting dumb dumb, smashing into a tree and later dying. God needed him, that's what it boils down to. God bless his family and friends.

Old Guy @ 10/10/2012 2:54 PM

Justin, no doubt your earlier comments were taken down because they are demonstrably inaccurate, biased and without merit. If Officer Gresko was enroute to save you from a violent crime, I'd bet you'd want him there as fast as he could get there.
As a retired accident investigator I've seen many of these videos. What is your qualifying experience and training Jason? The narrow scope of these dash cameras makes the speed seem higher than it is. I'd estimate he was travelling about 55 mph at the time of the collision, not 90. Is that fast? Of course it is. The Officer was answering a high priority, distress call. The video has no audio, so we do not yet know for certain whether the siren was on, but the emergency lights were. The pickup driver should have seen him coming from before the beginning of this video. If he followed the law requiring him to pull over to the right, he would have been out of the way long before the officer was anywhere near him.
The pickup driver was at fault. The timing of his turn, in response to the oncoming cruiser does legitimately raise questions as to his condition and/or intent.
Jason, please take your ignorance, bias and hate somewhere else. This officer gave his life in service to his community. His was a sacrifice someone like you may never be big enough to understand.
Rest in peace Officer Jason Gresko. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Chief Ed @ 10/10/2012 3:46 PM

Old Guy has it nailed. As an accident reconstructionist, I don't see 90 MPH either, but I do see an unlawful left turn. God rest Officer Jason Gresko's soul.

KJ @ 10/10/2012 5:32 PM

Unfortunately, Justin is not a bright as police lights....any 6th grade science class graduate knows that light travels substantially faster than sound. If you don't, Justin, walk outside during a thunderstorm and tell me which of your six senses registers stimulus first: your eyes seeing the flash or your ears that hear the air breaking the sound barrier and creating the thunder?

T. Davis @ 10/11/2012 7:21 AM

My prayers go out to your family Officer Gresko! Rest in peace brother- FOPD-Georgia

Deputy Dog 331 @ 10/11/2012 8:33 AM

RIP Fellow Officer.

If you notice, the truck did not start his turn into the driveway until the police car was one driveway/yard away. Even if the officer was going 10 miles and hour, the truck could not make it fully into his own driveway without causing an accident.
Justin...GET A GRIP.

Deputy J. Mamon @ 10/11/2012 8:59 PM

RIP Brother. My prayers are with your family and your Brothers and Sisters of your department.

naynaybeme @ 10/16/2012 3:52 AM

Justin: REALLY??? Moron...that's all I have to say about that. RIP Officer Jason Gresko.