N.M. School Bus Pursuit

Dash-cam footage shows the New Mexico State Police pursuit of a stolen school bus on March 9. Officers use a PIT Maneuver to halt the cumbersome vehicle.

March 27, 2012
21048 views

Tags: Vehicle Pursuits, New Mexico State Police, PIT Maneuver, New Mexico

TBOW426 @ 3/27/2012 12:43 PM

I know someone is going to say they should have not pursued. Anyone that steals a school bus is not thinking right to start out with and most likely would have continued no matter if the pursuit was terminated. No way to tell what he would have done before running out of gas so I think they did the right thing. Looks like a lot of bean bag rounds being fired at the suspect. I have no problem with that. I have practiced bus assaults with my SWAT team and there is not much room on a bus to move. Weapon retention becomes a real problem. Make the suspect come out. Not pretty but effective and I do not argue with success.

Capt. Steve @ 3/27/2012 6:47 PM

It's obvious the deputy firing live rounds from his sidearm is unaware that the troopers are firing non-lethal shotgun rounds when he opens up and obviously shoots the perp in his right side one or more times. All he sees is the troopers opening with their 870P's and thinks it's a lethal shooting scenario. I feel sorry for the deputy it's an honest mistake, but in this day & age I wouldn't to be him when this thing gets fully analyzed & picked apart. No sympathies for the perp, but this could go down as a totally understandable, but possibly technically a bad shoot by the deputy assuming the bad guy was unarmed.

Laura @ 3/27/2012 6:52 PM

After retirement as a LEO, I drove a school bus for 5 years. We usually made sure they where fueled up and ready for the next day when we left each evening. So presuming the bus had a full tank and not knowing what state of mind this man was in... School buses are built like tanks and he could have done some serious damage to property and human life if he had not been stopped. I think the incident was handled properly!

DaveSAM25 @ 3/28/2012 1:58 AM

What's not said in this article is this is the second bus from a bus yard - the first one went through the fence into a ditch...The second one was driven to Grants about 79 miles away Shots were fired at tires then too to try and stop...And yes the keys were in the ignition of the bus in both cases...might as well just leave it running...poor physical security of bus storage contributed to this takes about 1 hour and 20 mins to drive to grants and this does cross reservation land Laguna pueblo which abuts I-40 -Sympathetic firing? Notice deputy has ball cap pulled down, lots of yelling and adrenalin - Think I'm going to wait for the investigation to complete then lessons learned- tactics, crossfire etc...etc...There are always lessons in what we do each time!

Det. Sgt. M.C. Williams @ 3/28/2012 8:43 AM

I'm former NM DPS SID and worked with State Police daily. I can certainly see where an officer from another agency would think SP was firing live rounds. Feel bad for the officer. The debrief will be "interesting" as will the policies and communications memos that come out of this "after the fact." BCSO deputy will likely be roasted over this...praying for all involved.

Capt David-retired LA Cou @ 3/28/2012 9:11 AM

Would not want to be that deputy either. It will be said by someone he was an overzealous trigger happy badge heavy sadist. He did jump into the shooting melee maybe in the height of frenzy. I don't think he was wrong from what he was seeing what with the shotsbeing fired and all but it seems to be a state run pursuit. Read www.whenlawmenlie.com for more screwups from deputies.

miller9744 @ 3/28/2012 10:42 PM

Probably a good example of communication inadequacies between agencies. I would venture to say that the deputy probably did not hear radio traffic from the highway patrol commander on scene to approach and deploy less-lethal measures. We have similar problems in my jurisdiction in dealing with state agencies...kinda sad, but we usually just get on our cell phones to communicate.

DaveSAM25G @ 3/29/2012 12:31 AM

Miller9744 good catch-Things have gotten a bit better since 911 on the communications side but still have a long ways to go! There are talkgroups and network talkgroups if programmed go direct - or ITAC on the 800MHZ but you would have to be up on that or told to switch to it. I suspect the air was 10-3 also for those calling the pursuit.

David @ 3/29/2012 8:24 AM

The bean bag Shotgun should have been orange. That would have been a visual indication that less-lethal was in use. If my underpaid SO can afford them,(third lowest paid in the state) so why can't NM State Police?