On-Body Camera May Disprove Racial Profiling Claim Against Oakland Officer

A black Oakland firefighter said he was the victim of racial profiling when a white city police officer kept his hand on his gun while temporarily detaining him and his two sons at a fire station, mistakenly believing he might be a burglar. More Here.

September 04, 2014
4 views

David @ 9/4/2014 4:14 PM

Two questions (1) What or Who made him file the complaint knowing it was BULL SHIT?????? (2) What actions will be taken against him if any????? ONCE AGAIN THUMBS UP FOR BODY CAMERAS!!!!!!!

kevCopAz @ 9/4/2014 4:42 PM

I agree, a great example, while there ht effacer acted professionally as, did the fire fighter. But not knowing about the camera the F/F wants to make SHI_ up and pull a race card! He is a city employee and should be held to the same standard as the Officer and depending what he said in his complaint, if he lied he should face discipline. I have run in this myself in Phx. F/F are so used to everyone loving them they act out of line even and expect nothing but respect but give little to none back to police. But you and I know based on the fact that the officer iswhite and the F/F is black, there will be nothing done, even if the F/F lied and made it all up. This is the game minorities are allowed to play without any repercussions. its wrong.

Sgt. Mike @ 9/4/2014 6:29 PM

I've audio and video recorded most of my calls since the late 90s. Saved my bacon many times in complaints and use of force situations. I will always have some kind of recorder while on patrol and in some cased I've paid for them myself when the agency did not or would not provide.

Glad this malicious complaint got slapped down. Hopefully the FD will discipline their employee and provide sensitivity training to all their staff...just like they would us.

TheRookie @ 9/5/2014 12:29 AM

There had better be a Battalion or the Main Chief doing disciplinary on him for filing a false report.
These cameras are going to be career savers shutting the likes of Erik` von With-Holder & Al "Cocaine Snorting C.I.7" Shark-ton down.

TERRY F. ZECH VAPD (RET) @ 9/5/2014 6:13 AM

Brothers and sisters you don't know how much this video hits home. I wish I would have had a body camera two years ago as I now have a gentlemen crack head suing me and the VAMC for racial profiling illegal detention. I am now going through the lovely court process and will probably be fully retired from the VAPD before this gets to court if it makes it that far. Right now I am the dispatcher as I can't pass the police physical due to a genetic pulmonary embolism disease. Body cameras should be issued as standard now for all officers. Stay safe brothers and sisters.

Reallly? @ 9/5/2014 7:45 AM

Again with the Race Card? WHEN are people going to STOP THIS? What a waste of valuable time, not to mention a major waste of tax dollars!

David2014 @ 9/17/2014 8:16 AM

My agency and agencies in my county would have handled the situation much differently. The firefighter said right off that he was a firefighter... had his ID in his pocket... and he also had Firefighter plates on his vehicle. We would have been much more friendly in our demeanor while still being cautious. We would have asked to see his ID right off, then had dispatch give us the phone # of the fire department's contact person... made a quick call and asked if the man was authorized to be in the building. If so, no harm no foul. In not, then proceed from there.

The fact that the man had his young kids with him and was offering a completely reasonable explanation as to why he was in the building should have been enough for the officer to not have been quiet so intense and scare the kids. But that said, I see no racial profiling... just a officer being overly cautious.