Phoenix Police Ram Kidnapping House

Phoenix PD's tactical team used its Lenco armored vehicle to ram the house where a kidnapping suspect held hostage his 3-year-old son and several other people. Read the full story here.

May 21, 2013
7001 views

Tags: Phoenix PD, Armored Rescue Vehicles, Kidnapping

D @ 5/21/2013 6:55 PM

Could someone please point to the part in SOP where it says "If suspect has hostages, ram the house"?

john bosnich @ 5/21/2013 7:18 PM

phoenixs new anti kidnapping vehicle

PD @ 5/21/2013 11:38 PM

I guess that means negotiations failed?

Nichole @ 5/22/2013 4:08 AM

I'm not sure why I find this so incredibly awesome. It does seem a bit overkill... but who knows. These officers were protecting human life.

Renee @ 5/22/2013 4:50 AM

seems a bit extreme, but I guess whatever it takes...

D-Ray @ 5/22/2013 5:35 AM

I'll reserve my opinion on this technique until I get more details on what info was available that prompted it. Interesting, to say the least...

Getum @ 5/22/2013 6:01 AM

RoboCop @ 5/22/2013 7:09 AM

I hope that have a structural engineer on staff who advised them on which wall is loadbearing, I would hate to see the front of the house collapse on the hostages inside. It doesnt appear the officers outside are in danger, prompting an immediate destructive offense. I agree the technique is thinking out of the box, great breaching tool they have.

lloyd @ 5/22/2013 8:47 AM

at least they didnt play no games they got in to make sure the kids were alright

silentoperator @ 5/23/2013 1:38 AM

At Getum...........How can you say this was overboard and that this stuff creates hostility towards police in general when you have no idea what prompted them to use this technique. Adjusting tactics and using that vehicle as a breaching tool was smart and effective. Think before you type moron.

Trigger @ 5/23/2013 5:12 AM

Getum and others I have a question, they were dealing with kidnapping, multiple hostages, AK47 shots at the police (where did those rounds land in the neighborhood?) and a dirt bag that would not give up, so where is this extreme? In my world you use the tools that you have available to get the job done, to reduce risk, to save lives. "Overboard to the extreme side. This kind of stuff creates hostility towards police in general." I bet the hostages did not consider this overboard or extreme and the citizens of Phoenix are supporting the police for having the resources available to get the job done. Some individuals watch too much Hollywood cop shows and think that is the way the profession works....sad.

Sgt. Mike @ 5/29/2013 7:44 PM

I agree with Getum, this is an extreme situation.

I don't however find fault with the professional problem solvers the way that Getum did. LEOs on scene were making decisions under fire from a man that was committing rape, kidnapping, and other acts of violence against his victims. Whatever it was the LEOs saw, or knew as they made those decisions, was not available on this video. Off the cuff criticism is not appropriate.

Getum, and the rest of us, should be grateful that professional men and women were available to help and rescue those in need, and wait to pass judgement till the facts are made known.