S.C. Cop who Lost Leg Tries Out for SWAT

Spartanburg (S.C.) Police Officer Keith Soules, who lost part of his leg a year ago in a motorcycle accident, is trying out for SWAT.

February 07, 2012
4217 views

Tags: Spartanburg (S.C.) PD, SWAT Tryouts, Disabled Officers

MikeAT @ 2/7/2012 7:24 PM

You are a stud Off Soules. Good luck!

Jen @ 2/8/2012 5:55 AM

Awesome! Way to live the never give up mentality!

Keith @ 2/8/2012 6:25 AM

I am very proud to have you as a brother police officer.

CT Carlson @ 2/8/2012 7:38 AM

Good Job!! It is great to see someone bounce back from an injury rather than let it take over their life.

scpdblue @ 2/8/2012 10:55 AM

GREAT JOB Keith... SEMPER FI

kevin wright @ 2/8/2012 11:12 AM

Keeping the link to this in my email to view any time I think I am up against an insurmountable challenge. Inspirational

Tom Watt @ 2/8/2012 12:43 PM

Way to go brother! Keep on keepin' on!!!

Paula Clark @ 2/8/2012 2:47 PM

Great job, Officer! You're an inspiration to everyone who's facing adversity in their lives...you've proved that with willpower and courage, you can overcome almost anything life throws at you, and still come out on top! Keep up your great work, and God bless you!

patty kitchens @ 2/8/2012 5:49 PM

cool dude I'm proud of you keep going , your telling me I can do it.

Dave Stewart @ 2/9/2012 6:39 PM

Outstanding commitment, strength and perseverance! I wish you all the best and hope you get the position for which you are testing. Thank you for your service to your country and community.

notmeofficer @ 2/10/2012 5:17 AM

Kudos to you for trying

But Im not so sure that this should be immediately embraced
I had the privilege of working SEB., LASDs full time tactical team.. it was extremely arduous without any potential handicap.. certainly not the loss of a limb already in my consciousness.

My concern would be because of the nature of SWAT and the unpredictability of what happens in a crisis situation whether this is the best candidate for the job.. my gut says no.. sorry it isnt.. no matter how much heart he has...

When we had team members who were injured (without any limb loss) the reality is that they would be rotated out of the team and into a training or admin position.. or transfer

That is the reality of the job
So.. sorry my friend... you would not be an acceptable candidate even if you could pass the pt test,,,I would wash you on the oral board.... nothing personal but it has to do with the mechanics and limitations of prosthetics...

James W Howe JR @ 2/11/2012 11:44 AM

OOHRAH! for him. I'd be curious to see a followup on what the examiners tell him after he passes all of the tests.

Pinellas County (Florida) @ 2/13/2012 10:13 AM

Way to go! As an active SWAT member, I can tell you that most of what any team is looking for in a SWAT canidate is "heart." You cannot teach it.

hondo @ 3/2/2012 6:32 AM

dam good soldier urraaa

Random @ 3/24/2012 3:06 AM

With the new legs designs coming out, all may be requested to take one for the team. Prosthetics are faster and stronger every year. One of the 2012 runners has 2 prosthetic legs. This kind of improvement would not have happen without people like Police Officer Keith Soules. Thank you and good luck.