Texas Officer Demonstrates Dangers of Being Locked in Hot Car

A North Texas police officer volunteered this week to demonstrate to people the dangers of leaving children and animals trapped in hot cars. Texas leads the nation in the number of hot car deaths. Read Full Story Here.

July 11, 2014
3931 views

Tags: Texas

Tony D. @ 7/12/2014 10:10 AM

What this officer did is something his department should commend him for. People that leave their children or pets in hot cars have no idea how bad it can get. As a retired officer I have responded to many of these calls and once the people are located they are totally unaware of how serious the situation can get in a very short period of time. The usual excuse.."I was only in their a couple of minutes", it is not that hot out I had the windows cracked open". The list goes on of excuses and when forced entry was made they go ballistic! The general public does not see what police see and live in what I call "LA LA LAND"! How and why people do these things is baffling to me. To intentionally leave a child or pet in a car or even worse to say they forgot! This officer did this with the intentions of raising public awareness and the hope of saving lives. I just hope what he did goes national. Once again to his superiors if you read this..you best recognize the dedicated officer you have!

John R. @ 7/12/2014 10:39 AM

Only time I tried this was once when Had the FLU and my body temperature could not stay warm whether Virus or FLU that was weirdest feeling on Earth to be in CAR HOT SUN pounding down on Black dashboard and temperature in car was 135 degrees yeah my body got warmed up and not one bead of sweat in fact stayed in car for 35 minutes fell asleep and when I woke up FEVER was broken and that was it ...Had I not had fever I would have died as an adult in that heat? PS had sweat shirt and sweat pants on too? Body is truly amazing and so is Heat that builds up in vehicles.

Simon Legree @ 7/12/2014 4:29 PM

Nice idea, stupid video directing. Instead of just his blather, why not put a thermometer and timer in camera view: much more graphic, and everyone wants facts, not blather from a talking head. Cutting the video by half or more would also have made it stronger.

Larry Thompson @ 7/12/2014 8:48 PM

I see Dale whatshisname's comment disappeared. I guess he doesn't realize you have to dumb it down for some folks. Cudos to the officer for taking the initiative to educate those lacking common sense.

Larry English Alexander @ 7/13/2014 1:39 AM

Wow! I praise God for young officers like this. The officer appeared to be healthy and athletic and as he said "I'm a grown man and I know I can get out" Then reminding us that kids could not and their bodies are not able to handle it as well as an adult. May the Lord bless him as well as his department. Let's pass this along to everyone we have influence over.

Cindy Olsen @ 7/14/2014 11:32 AM

Thank you for your efforts to inform the public. Very well may save a life of human/animal!!!