Homeless Woman Sues CHP Over Videoed Force Incident

A woman seen on cellphone video being repeatedly punched by a CHP officer on the side of a Los Angeles freeway has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit over the beating, her lawyer announced Thursday. Read Full Story Here.

July 18, 2014
1419 views

Tags: California Highway Patrol, Lawsuits, California

Longarm @ 7/18/2014 5:39 PM

This is what passes for journalism these days? They're going to show 5 seconds of chopped up video and claim it tells the whole story? Rediculous.

Also, one wonders how a "homeless" woman can afford two lawyers to file civil lawsuits against the police.
Obviously we haven't seen the entire video, but the fact that the news utterly butchered the video and showed only 5 seconds or less, repeating the same segment over and over is very, very suggestive. Somebody in the news room has an axe to grind and they're not interested in presenting the real facts.

Ima Leprechaun @ 7/19/2014 7:52 AM

I have seen the various videos from other angles and I'd say the Officer has a very real problem. Seems like excessive force to me for trying to save a mentally ill woman not committing a crime, other than endangering herself. This incident should have been treated as a rescue. Perhaps just holding onto her and cuffing her would have been the best course of action but I only have the various video's and it sure looks like excessive force to me and she was not at all resisting while he was beating her. If she really was resisting where is his taser? Certainly a taser would have been a reasonable course of action if she really was resisting. It's easy enough to see the lawyers are doing this as an ACLU case which is really her only recourse when you have no reasonable means of defending yourself in court or in a filing a reasonable law suit.

Ima Leprechaun @ 7/19/2014 7:59 AM

EVERY police academy teaches all Officer's to never raise their hand above their head to strike anyone. He is violating a very basic instruction on what not to do. This also pertains to the use of flashlights and baton's. He really did know better and he was taught better. The black gloves add the presumption he likes to fight using leather gloves on suspects. It is unknown if he was wearing lead sap gloves.

TERRY F. ZECH VAPD (RET) @ 7/19/2014 8:02 AM

If you look at the video in between his physical force it looks like he is trying to roll her over but his positioning is wrong and she keeps rolling back. Hand and joint manipulation would have probably been better. However, I was not present. As a training officer I believe the officer forgot his training.

what? @ 7/19/2014 8:10 AM

I'd like to see what video you were watching. With this video we have no idea what happened leading up to the punching. But there was definitely resistance. Those guys usually roll solo. Maybe it started as a rescue and ended up as an arrest. If so, he may be completely justified. I'm sure he didn't decided to just beat the crap out of this lady.

Lee @ 7/19/2014 9:01 AM

Without a video showing the entire incident,which is never the case on a uof and what lead to what I saw to be only a few punches, I am not going to Monday morning qb this. All I can say is the officer did what he did and most likely for a reason....@ImaLep, what videos did you watch to conclude excessive force and determine she was not resistive? I would like to see these as well. We do not know if she went for his gun etc. so do not jump to a conclusion,,,I will say however that the lawsuit is ridiculous! Attempted murder charges? lol!!!! C'mon now....

Capt. Crunch @ 7/19/2014 12:43 PM

Now that the family has a chance to make some big money, they call her sweet grandma instead of homeless bum roaming the streets. I guess if the officer would have left the witch alone and she got hit by a car the family would sue him for that. I feel the officer did what he had to do. I have dealt with mentally ill people and they are unpredictable.

JT @ 8/3/2014 2:39 AM

Some you folks are obviously not in law enforcement. Hands over the head to strike is not taught in police academies? CAT/CAW closet appropriate weapon/closest appropriate target. In this case it was distractionary strikes with force. He did not bash her face in and if he had I feel confident the media would broadcast he photos. The officer by no means used excessive force on the woman. At least by what I viewed in the video. He controlled the situation and given the environment took it to the ground. Our society is full of entitlement minded and law suit happy folks. The stacked charges in the civil suit. The attorneys and "caring family members" are hoping for a settement. The CHP will probably relent. Maybe there is cause too. I did not observe it in that video though.