Chief in Uniform Told to Leave Gun Outside Ikea

An Ikea employee told Chief Alan Goldberg of the Takoma Park (Md.) PD he would have to leave his service weapon in his car or leave the store, even though he was in uniform at the time. Read Story Here.

July 08, 2014
1737 views

Tags: Takoma Park (Md.) PD

Chief Thomas Boyd @ 7/8/2014 6:15 PM

A total disgrace if I was that Chief I was told around and told the loss prevention officer to take a goddamn hike And Kept shopping

Tschako @ 7/8/2014 9:31 PM

I have a suggestion, Chief; Instruct your officers that NO sworn personell are to enter Ikea on duty for ANY reason. That includes 211's, 187's any thefts, hostage taking etc. Tell them Ikea prohibits it, and let Ikea know.

TERRY F ZECH VAPD (RET) @ 7/9/2014 8:36 AM

I would have demanded to see the manager and ask him about his profession and ask him how does he prevent armed robberies in the store if an officer is present without his weapon. I then would take my business elsewhere.

aj kirby @ 7/9/2014 12:35 PM

What was the LP agent going to do, call the police!!!

Dave Fischer @ 7/10/2014 12:25 AM

It figures, IKEA probably lowered their standards in hiring and got some NITWIT who obviously didnt use common sense when asking law enforcement to leave.....

Alan Goldberg @ 7/10/2014 5:15 PM

Just a little clarification. I did point all of those things out to the loss prevention officer and to the on duty manager (who was not sure what to do). The loss prevention manager called me during the fireworks that night and apologized as they had a good relationship with the Prince George's County Police. It was a holiday weekend and the general manager was out of town. He did email me Monday after the news report with an apology.
Here is the deal. In Maryland, the law is not clear cut. If I was on official business, there is no question he would have been politely ignored. If he was an SPO with arrest powers, he could make a trespassing arrest (and deal with the civil issues later). If not he could either call the local police or go to a commissioner and request a charging document for trespassing. In my younger days, it probably would have been different. As one gets older and wiser, there are better ways of handling things.

Lance @ 7/10/2014 8:35 PM

This happened to me at Wal-Mart when I was a Chief, plus I had one of my Officers with. Ed the greeter told me the same thing, no weapons allowed. I advised Ed that we are licensed police officers and and when we are in uniform our weapons go where ever we go. Ed still refused to let us in. I asked to see his manager, which the Customer Service desk quickly paged. I see the manager approach Ed and watched as Ed explained things to him. You see the manager put his face in his hands and shake his head. The manager walks over to us and apoligizes to us and says that we are more than welcome to shop in the store. He apoligized for Ed and stated he was only doing what he was instructed to do. I told him I understood and that I would expect my officers to do what they are told to do too. The manager stated he would adress the misunderstanding. I look back and laugh about this. It is one of the many stories I tell about during my long career in law enforcement.

Sgt. Mike @ 7/11/2014 1:47 PM

I have a policy too, it states that under no circumstance will I enter or in any way support a "gun free zone" or businesses that support such foolishness. This policy applies on or off duty and has no exceptions.

I would have thanked that loss prevention officer and never looked back, or gone back for any reason.