Suspect Fights With Ohio Officers, TASERed

Dayton police released cruiser camera video Friday of a fight between police officers and a suspect who tried to escape their cruiser in April.

One officer suffered a head injury during the fight with 20-year-old Davontae Hall. He was treated and released from the hospital after the incident. Hall was booked in to the Montgomery County jail on four felony charges, including having weapons under disability, carrying a concealed weapon, escape and obstructing official business.

May 19, 2014
2398 views

Tags: TASER, Officer Assaults

Not Good Officer...not go @ 5/19/2014 1:43 PM

As a LEO, i'm the first to have a badged brother or sister's back. However, this was not good. The subject was tazered while both hand were in hard restraints. The officer that was attempting to cuff the man up sounded so scared. The other officer sounded calm, but deployed his tazer. This, i almost can bet a million dollars will be the subject of an Internal Affairs investigation. If not that some public pretender (defender) will cash in on it and this knucklehead will bn make a quick buck off being an asshole and all charges dropped.

R. Daniel @ 5/19/2014 3:42 PM

I am confused, did the guy who posted the first comment watch a different video than I just did?? 28 years I pat them down and make sure they are clean and put in the back seat for safekeeping while I sort out what the facts are. If my guest in the back seat warrants a ride to my Counties Cross Bar Hotel then he is properly cuffed and delivered forthwith. What I saw on the video was this young man realizing he had a reservation and did not want to go, as evidenced by his push back against the Officer who was trying to cuff him in the back seat?? Cuffing a Felony Suspect in the back seat is not a good tactical maneuver. Regardless, I have done it many times as have many others in our shoes. My take on this is it was all good. Bad Guy went to jail and good guys went home. No injuries or deaths..

Sgt. Mike @ 5/19/2014 4:01 PM

Not ideal, and I'm not sure I'd have deployed my Taser, but I'm not overtly concerned about this video. As a Sgt for over 13 years, I'll wait to speak to the officers and read the report before I pass judgement.

offdutydeputy @ 5/20/2014 10:40 AM

@R. Daniel, Yes he did watch a different video. First, I would have a nice conversation with my cover Officer "Joe". He was all but useless. Shut the door Joe! The Taser use was within my departments policy but probably not the best application. Trying to drive stun his flailing shin is pointless, put two darts in his chest.

Being cuffed doesn't prevent you from kicking, biting etc.

Bama Cop @ 5/20/2014 2:53 PM

Both officers need a little training.

Mark @ 5/20/2014 6:32 PM

For those who think it is excessive to taser someone handcuff, please don't speak unless you have a J.D. after your name and have done the research. Applying a taser to a suspect that is resisting while handcuffed has been supported by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in Buckley v. Haddock, 292 Fed.Appx. 791, 792 (11th Cir.2008). Moreover, in Buckley, the suspect was also passively resisting. The court emphasized that a suspect is never "fully secured" until he is bound at the feet to keep him from kicking and running. (Id. at 795) Additionally, the 10th Circuit held in Cavanaugh v. Woods Cross City that you may use the taser as a compliance tool when a warning has been rendered by the officer that the suspect will be tasked. No. 10-4017 (10th Cir. 2010). (i.e. no your sh*t before you look like a fool)

Ptl. RoadUnit @ 5/26/2014 3:34 AM

@Mark - Yes, you certainly "no" your sh*t. Despite what the higher courts have upheld, many department policies are not nearly as liberal.