Cell Phone Video Captures California Police Shooting

Long Beach (Calif.) Police engaged in a foot pursuit of a suspect which ended when police shot and killed the suspect. The suspect was alleged to have been carrying garden shears and a stick. Read Full Story Here.

April 28, 2014
2705 views

Tags: Foot Pursuits, Police Shootings, Long Beach PD, California

Steve La Marca @ 4/28/2014 3:57 PM

Mr. Cell Phone Guy there once again shows the staggering level of ignorance by the vast majority of the civilian population, when it comes to these types of situations.
"Alrighty citizen, we'll just let StickBoy there waltz off and take the head off the next person he happens to come across. He's free to go ....."
Sometimes I blame "us" (though these are times when I'm grateful to be retired) that Law Enforcement has failed in educating the public as to the realities of these and similar situations, and why things go the way they do.
Rant off --

Rick @ 4/28/2014 4:02 PM

Most departments that I've dealt with have some sort of 'fleeing felon' rule where they can shoot a suspect in the back if they are fleeing, have a weapon and especially are heading towards a public area where they can take hostages or hurt other citizens. If this is the case, they followed departmental policy; unless he dropped the weapon before hand.

Nichole @ 4/29/2014 4:12 AM

I hate the media. Seriously hate it.

David Hollenbeck @ 4/29/2014 3:30 PM

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. That's where the population and plaintiff attorneys like us to be.
If he had been free to take a hostage, that hostage (or their survivors ) would sue and give interviews to TV and print media

TERRY F. ZECH VAPD (RET) @ 4/30/2014 2:04 PM

I feel bad for the loss of life but he could have taken someone else's life before he could be stopped. The officers saved someone elses life by having to take the suspects.

Jim B. @ 5/1/2014 8:23 AM

Well, since they stop the video right before the guy gets shot, it's hard to tell much from it. And the angle and location the video was shot from doesn't show much either. Having said that, I have to admit, it doesn't look good. Whether the shooting was justified or not remains to be seen and that determination will be based on much more than a low quality cell phone video. My gut reaction is that the shooting may have been justified but it doesn't look like it was necessary. I know we CAN shoot at fleeing felons under certain circumstances. It doesn't mean we always HAVE to. Yes, he could have taken a hostage, yes he could have hurt/killed someone. But was that a reasonable assumption to make at the time of the shooting? I don't know, I wasn't there. I do wish the best for the officers and hope it turns out OK for them. I don't know whether the man "deserved" to get shot but I do know he initiated the events of that day.