Minn. Officer Pepper-Sprays Man In Ear

A St. Paul (Minn.) Police officer pepper-sprayed a non-compliant suspect in the ear after dragging him into the back of a cruiser by his hair. Read the full story here.

July 10, 2013
2532 views

Tags: Patrol Car Video, Pepper Spray, St. Paul (Minn.) PD, Less-Lethal Force

krisnlc @ 7/11/2013 2:31 PM

Man, how one action can make a seemingly text book arrest look bad. If the officer did pepper spray the ear (it looked as if he did, cannot be sure), then the officer is wrong...no question about it. tough job, looks like another cop gave in to his anger and well now...it is what it is!

pup @ 7/11/2013 2:59 PM

Once again, everybody sides with the AH. Why don't people put blame where it belongs, on the AH. All the AH needed to do was comply with the officers orders. Due to the suspect's resistive actions, the officer used PS. It was AH who turned his head to avoid being sprayed in the face and caused the PS to find it's way into his ear. It's hard to believe the officer was terminated.

vincenzino @ 7/11/2013 3:40 PM

Don't run. Don't fight. Simple as that.

Virgil @ 7/11/2013 3:56 PM

after thirty five years in law enforcement I thought I've seen it all. Its hard enough to do our jobs, when some Knucklehead goes and pulls this stunt like this. He should be suspended or fired for this tactic. you have him in cuffs, he's telling you that he is going to sit down, don't let them get the best of you. use you head before you do anything you will regret. I'm all for the proper use of force but come on, he got the best of you. now you are national news.

Rev. Lowrey @ 7/11/2013 5:33 PM

Thank you Virgil.

Rob51 @ 7/12/2013 10:24 AM

The subject was obviously told several times to get in the car. He wouldn't. It appears that this was a very large man that was being very resistive. An officer entered the vehicle grabbed the suspect by the hair and was almost able to pull him completely inside. He pointed a can of chemical weapon at the subect's head (who was prone, on his side) and deployed the spray. Some of the spray entered his ear and some into his eyes, according to the subject. Minimal force, minimal injury. The amount of force used could have been significantly greater, probably resulting in serious injury.

Capt. Crunch @ 7/12/2013 11:29 AM

I think firing Ofcr. Gorans and giving Ofcr. Zilge, 30 days off was to harsh. I feel a verbal counseling from a sergeant would be sufficient. I will admit that if it was my daughter that was threaten by the suspect my choice of officers would be Gorans and Zilge rather than Capt. Meyer.

Cowboy @ 7/12/2013 3:17 PM

@Virgil,
Well stated.
@Captain Crunch,
I might side with you regarding if it were my daughter who had been threatened; but what would that teach my daughter about the workings of law enforcement and justice? Being an officer is not about retribution, it's about being an officer. What if it was your daughter who made some bad decisions or had too many to drink and was belligerent when being asked to comply, who would be your choice?

Capt. Crunch @ 7/12/2013 6:58 PM

Hey Cowboy, I respect your opinion but I think you and Virgil, might be over reacting. Unless I'm looking at a different video, I do not think the suspect was being punished by the officers. The victim I think (Icould be wrong) was happy the police arrived. I don't think the victim wanted the police to baby the suspect. As far as the pepper spray goes a little soap and water washes that away. Anyway I hope all works out well for the officers and I also hope the suspect turns out to be a better person, because of this arrest. P.S your last question about my choice would still be Gorans and Zilge, but I have an advantage my daughters take after their mother not me so they would not be drunk and belligerent because they are ladies.

Don @ 7/16/2013 12:17 AM

I am a certified use of force instructor. You do not deploy any type of aerosol projector closer that 3 feet to the face of a person. Unfortunately, as much as I hate to say, the officer violated use of force policy and was on tape. What do you expect will happen? We have to think out there.

Andrew @ 7/18/2013 6:52 PM

Criminals can be as belligerent as they want to be. It's okay to be non co-op bc the police will get fired. How many times have u asked someone who has committed a crime to get in the bk seat n they comply with no further incident.

tdbeez @ 7/23/2013 11:48 AM

don-
i have never heard that 3ft rule for pepper spray. we have no such policy at my department. u r basically stating that if a suspect gets within 3 ft i am and i use pepper spray, then i am liable or wrong for doing so? sounds like horsesh!t and redtape. our pepperspray is the least amount of force available after usng soft/hard hand techniques. by ur statement, i would be better off swinging a metal pipe and causing injury when i didnt even attempt the spray. when that got to court, i dont think using your "certification standards" would fly with a jury or a judge. ether way u look at it, doesnt seem to be a "wrong" enough to warrant a termination.