Rough Arrest In Knoxville

Three Knoxville (Tenn.) PD officers resigned and four others face discipline for the rough arrest of a mentally ill homeless man on Feb. 9. Warning: Video contains graphic content. Read the full story here.

June 12, 2013
2968 views

Tags: Patrol Car Video, Knoxville (Tenn.) PD, Excessive Force

Procraserbation @ 6/12/2013 3:28 PM

My god! Are they going to have a BBQ around him? Get him cuffed and get him into a car/wagon immediatley. Additionally other than the fact that there were too many officers to one suspect, i dont see anything wrong in the video.

Brad @ 6/13/2013 11:09 AM

The fist problem here is there are way too many officer's on scene, no one seems to be in charge and the suspect should have been in the back of a unit as soon as he was cuffed! The longer he has contact with police the more people can come up with mistreatment accusations. Hopefully these officer's have learned from this incident. I really do not see a lot wrong with the handling of the suspect at all. I see several times an officer stands over the suspect and makes some type of contact, but we cannot see what that contact is or why. So I'm not going to judge that.

Dan @ 6/13/2013 11:31 AM

Really? No-one has a problem with the officer in the watch cap carrying the suspect by the robe that binds his hands and legs together? No-one has a problem with the officer dropping the suspect onto his rib cage? No-one has a problem with that? I do!

Steve @ 6/13/2013 12:45 PM

Too many officers on the scene??? Too many officers on one guy??? Obviously you have not been in a fight where you just can't get control of a subject. Well I'm not talking about right or wrong here. I'm just saying that 1 or 1,000 officers..How ever many it takes to get the job done.
Stay safe brothers and sisters.

Scott @ 6/13/2013 1:02 PM

My first thought was why the female officers walked away and didn't help.

T.L. Kiser, Sr @ 6/13/2013 1:46 PM

Mentally challenged people are usually very unstable. And very strong. It doesn't take 6 police officers to beat up a suspect, it takes that many to keep from having to. I see nothing wrong on the video, but videoes never tell the whole story. They took way too long to get this guy on his way to jail. Put him in the car and go. Tell your stories later. But make sure they match the incident report. I wouldn't resign or accept a disciplinary until my lawyer said that's what I should do, based on the video

RICHARD ISAACS @ 6/13/2013 5:24 PM

THESE TWO WANNA BE COPS JUST SET THE FEMAL POLICE OFFICER PROGRAM BACK TO THE STONE AGES.

Eli @ 6/13/2013 9:01 PM

Richard, educate yourself a bit, please before yelling about the female officers' performance during this incident. There is all kinds of force science research out there that makes it clear that an officer only has a short time in an all out fight - in extreme cases, less than a minute - to gain control of a suspect before the officer's energy is spent, placing him or her at a dangerous disadvantage. This will be experienced despite of the added strength adrenalin provides (which the suspect will also have the advantage of).

To step away and defer to other officers when one is spent is not weakness being displayed, it's rational thought during a rather irrational incident. If you want to learn more, and I sure hope you do, google: "Force and the Fatigue Threshold : The Point of No Return"

Eli @ 6/13/2013 9:08 PM

Here's the link to make it easy to find for anyone who might be interested in the Fatigue Threshold of officers: http://www.aele.org/law/2010all06/2010-06MLJ501.pdf

Richard Howard @ 6/13/2013 9:47 PM

Scott, here in our jurisdiction, after we have been in a fight for a long time like this, when our backup gets to us we usually back out and let fresh hands take over so we can recover. Of course this is determined by 100 different things such as number of back up officers, fight left in us, fight left in suspect etc...etc... I see nothing wrong in this video, the suspect resisted and the use of force to control was appropriate. I do think they should have stuffed him a lot sooner than they did but I wasn't there.
To those who think the female officers didn't do their thing....I don't think you have been in an all out fight for your life. We are trained to NEVER quit fighting but after a few minutes there isn't much left in the tank. Just my two cents.

Capt. Crunch @ 6/13/2013 10:14 PM

What are they standing around for? Just put the POS in the patrol car and take him to jail. P.S. the nit caps look stupid and stop spitting.

D F West @ 6/14/2013 12:01 AM

This guy got pretty good care from the Knoxville PD. They lost three good officers over this call? I think you need to rethink why these officers are there protecting the public sometimes from them selves.
You need to give them their jobs back.

Angie @ 6/14/2013 8:35 AM

I watched the whole thing and expected them to jump on him at any time and start beating him. I didn't see anything wrong with what they did. They had him schackled so he must've been kicking. She gave good commands and we can't see what he is doing. Monday morning QBing it...I don't know why they took so long getting his out of there, why so many officers stayed on scene after he was hooked up and why the female officers walked away when the calvary showed up....otherwise no bad guys got hurt, it's a good day.

Stephen M Miller @ 6/16/2013 1:03 PM

Nothing wrong with what the officers did? Well we only see what was actually done in front of the police video cameras. What we don't see is what was done out of the cameras view. We also don't know which officer was disgusted by the way this guy was treated and reported the other out of control officers.

What we do see is 32 minutes of video 28 minutes of it showing the guy in custody trussed up like a pig for slaughter. We also see the guys face being slammed into the hood of the car numerous times.

I know that the police have a dangerous job, but a lot of the danger that is presented is "self inflicted". When police officers stop being nice and or professional to the people they interact with the danger they are in increases 10 fold. When the gang mentality comes out and the officers start acting as thugs, anyone is going to try and protect themselves, it is human nature.

I have an example that are very personal to me.

My brothers ex-wife and her mother forced their way into his house, the police were called (as was I), my brother had been drinking but remained calm. Two police officers came to "talk" to my brother upstairs in his house, (I had blocked the stairs to keep his ex and her mother from getting near him so there was never any interaction between him and them just them and me). The officers a male and female ordered me to move and allowed my brother's ex and her mother into the room with my brother, where they started screaming at my brother.

The male officer approached my brother and got to within 3 inches of his face and said you have been drinking. My brother backed up and the officer stepped forward again and planted both of his feet on my brother's feet and pushed him. As my brother was falling he reached out and grabbed the officer, Both officers then jumped on him and started beating him. This is the point where I stepped in, and informed them that the house was fully wired for sound and video and everything was recorded

Stephen M Miller @ 6/16/2013 1:12 PM

After things had calmed some the male officer arrested my brother for assaulting a police officer, then I was ordered to leave. So I went back to my house 3 houses away sat down at my computer and watched as the female officer and my brother's ex and his wife ransacked the house pulling out the mics and cameras from each room until I could see no more. Yes I had put his surveillance system online so it could be recorded at my computer as well.

I didn't say a word until my brothers trial at which point I produced both the video and audio of the entire event from start to finish.

These two "good officers" lost their jobs, my brothers EX and her mother both got charged as well.

Oh yeah By the way, my brother's charge was dismissed!