NYPD Arrests Man Filming Outside Station

A plainclothes NYPD officer arrested a man who was taking photos and filming video outside a station in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn. Read the full story here.

June 21, 2013
1753 views

Tags: NYPD, Citizen Video, Stations

Sherry @ 6/21/2013 7:39 PM

There should be no problem with filming cops. It should be a law that all there activities on the job be filmed. It sucks to see five cops beating a handcuffed man down on the ground and you can not do anything to help. It is a bad deal all the way around. I tell many people that they need to report bad acts of officers as well as good ones too. Film officers 100% of the time would cut down on the over use of force. Officers are violent, they train to be violent, the first respons is violent.

Cool hand Luke @ 6/23/2013 8:51 AM

Sherry, so when your house is being broken into or you have been car jacked. Make sure you call a plumber or electrician, because us Police Officers are way to violent to help you. How would you like to be video tape every minute you are at work.

Nichole @ 6/24/2013 3:51 AM

It's a shame that people have nothing better to do with their lives than sit around asking for trouble, doing things they know will get them reprimanded if not arrested. Yes, ok, we know you have rights that pretty much allow you to do anything that you want... but why harass the people that are there to protect you when you need them? I don't get it.

I mean, I don't pull up next to a cop at a red light and rev my engine and look over at him provokingly only to pull off the line going 15 miles an hour just for a laugh. I don't say "Oh, look at the dumb piggy looking for some way to arrest me."

I guess I'm just not a complete douchebag like quite a few people on youtube are turning out to be lately.

HAL ADLEMAN @ 6/24/2013 4:27 PM

The picture talked appears to be a total a..hole. Or (unlikely) a Muslim doing a "dry run" to see how police react to various provocations. Or perhaps trying to get the officer(s) to overreact and be set up for a lawsuit.

OTOH, like it or not, it's settled law that citizens (even a..holes) have a right to film and snap photos in public areas, and specifically that the right includes filming police and their activities.

Peter and paul @ 6/24/2013 5:18 PM

NYPD are trained to detect suspected terrorist activities. The officer is completely within his power to commit an investigatory stop and detention. The idea that this is muslim related is idiotic, it could just as easily be a citizen bitter over an arrest and is planning an attack. it's better to be safe than sorry. The fact that the man was able to post this video leads me to believe he wasn't charged so it is completely reasonable.

Longarm9 @ 6/24/2013 10:29 PM

"Officers are violent, they train to be violent, the first respons is violent. "
And exactly how much police training do you have? How long have you been a law enforcement officer, Sherry? Oh, none? I thought so.

In fact this couldn't be further from the truth. Police and other law enforcement officers have among the most, if not the most stringent hiring and training regimens of any profession. Any law enforcement officer will tell you, the best possible outcome of any situation is where everyone goes home (or to jail, as the case may be) unharmed, including the bad guys. Unfortunately the behaviour of the bad guys often makes the use of force including deadly force necessary.

I've been alive for 31 years, and in all that time I've never been arrested or "beaten" by the police. You know why? Because I obey the law and when the police show up, I bloody well do as I'm told.

You don't like what the police are doing? You think they're violating your rights? You act respectfully, you follow directions an officer gives you, and you can take it up with a judge or file a complain later. Problem solved and you don't get hurt.

PS. this guy with the camera is a dumb shit who's asking for trouble.

njmotorcop @ 6/25/2013 5:34 AM

Is photography illegal in NY? What he was doing may have raised some legitimate concerns but it should have been handled better. Standing in front of him and trying to block his view is just childish and unprofessional. Would the officer have done this if the cameraman was an ABC or NBC employee? I doubt it! We may not like what he's doing but he has a right to do it. People frequently take pictures of me on the job. As a police officer I am a public employee and they are my employers. They have every right to "check up on me". I have told people to move away from me for thier own safety or when thier presence was causing interference with police, fire, or EMS activities but I have never told anyone that they can't record or photograph me or other public employees in a public place.

RickO @ 6/27/2013 9:34 AM

As a police officer I have to admit...some of you forget about that pesky constitution we are sworn to protect...

JimB. @ 6/27/2013 12:25 PM

The guy was clearly a douche bag, but that's not against the law. The concerns raised by the officer were all entirely valid. But that doesn't change the fact what the d-bag was doing was legal. I've said it in other incidents and I'll say it again: The fact that you are uncomfortable has absolutely no impact on me doing what I have the legal right to do. Whether that is the legal open carry of a firearm in public or taking pictures in a public place. If it's legal for me to do it at a particular time and place, it's legal.

Now, having said that, I give the officer props. He didn't just walk up and say you can't do that and immediately arrest the guy. He waited until he had something to work with (obstructing the driveway) and went with it. Was it a stretch? I think it was. Is the charge going to stick? Maybe, we'll have to wait and see.

JDoe @ 6/27/2013 7:26 PM

Sherry, look we don't tap on the car windows while your working. I support your right to be ignorant. I will make the same assumption that you did, because you posses the equipment we now know what are/do for a living. IDIOT.