Neb. Cop's Heated Warning

A Sidney (Neb.) Police officer berated a motorist and warned him to stop following him to crime scenes in this video captured by the passenger. Read the full story here.

June 26, 2013
2544 views

Tags: Citizen Video, Professional Image, Vehicle Stops

Dafne Armstrong @ 6/27/2013 5:15 PM

Don't these lowlifes have anything better to do than follow police and try to provoke them? Can't they watch a video or listen to music or anything else other than deliberately being a..holes?

MB @ 6/27/2013 5:50 PM

Agreed that the driver was being a butt-head. We've all dealt with people like this, and unfortunately the officer played right into his hands. He's a human being and lost his cool, we've all done that, I know I have, unfortunately he did it on camera and is now going to become "that guy". When he blew up it was exactly the reaction the driver wanted. Step back, take a deep breath and remember you are a professional and held to a higher standard. I'm glad that the other officer was there to intervene and calm things down.

Chris @ 6/27/2013 7:13 PM

If he is following the cop all over, couldn't he be charged with obstruction of justice, or interfering with police business?

plato's playdough @ 6/28/2013 3:55 AM

Suspicious vehicle found at crime scene, couldn't you detain him for investigation? He obviously wants attention. Perhaps he is setting up an explanation for his presence at a crime he intends to commit in the future. Instantly provocative and combative from the start, it would be racial profiling to assume he was NOT a suspect.

DepDog @ 6/28/2013 5:52 AM

I was just wondering if a bunch of people began "legally harassing" the subject by going to his residence (which is heard on the recording when the license plate information was read back), how would he feel about that. Who would he call? I think he would be a low priority call if he were to call in to complain that he is being harassed. Just saying.

Ima Leprechaun @ 6/28/2013 6:18 AM

I would think obstructing justice or other charges related to Officer safety would be an issue but having said that the guy following is not violating any law as long as he does not interfere with the Officer. I was fortunate to serve for the most part prior to the electronic era of Cell Phones. The last few years before I retired cell phones where just busting out everywhere. I always conducted myself in both public and private as though I were being recorded, if you do this then you avoid having a "human" moment caught on tape. I have heard many officers "go off" on people and while I don't like it and it is bad behavior for a supposed professional I do understand the frustration. The Officer has only two choices, either ignore the stalker or arrest him for whatever violation that applies in your jurisdiction. Disorderly Conduct at an Emergency would apply in my state but you would need to resonably explain why this person was causing an annoyance. Safety issues need to be articulated because his mere presence is pulling the officer's attention away from his own and other people's safety. Also not knowing the intentions of a suspicious vehicle could result in the officer becoming a victim of the stalker and this too should be articulated in the complaint. Resonably articulated reports and affidavits are needed here to convict this person of an annoyance. Just calling him suspicious or a stalker mean nothing to the law and the annoyance has to be explained in detail. Document his tactics, FI him as a suspicious person/vehicle, and issue traffic tickets when needed, all this data becomes your evidence of his interference of you doing your job. Good luck and I am so glad to be retired.

Jim A @ 6/30/2013 8:09 PM

Good job to the second officer here. Very professional.

First officer, you lost your cool. Every one of us has done it. We give them exactly what they want when we do this. Learn from it, as we have (again and again.)

But his contact his justified. He has explained everything to indicate this is a suspicious vehicle. We know that suspects often return to the scene of the crime to monitor the investigation and to retaliate or take action against other potential victims. We know that suspects often record their criminal actions and those of their partners. The officer has a reason to ask for ID and failing to provide ID when required is a crime.

Sure the officer could have done better. We are not perfect and I do not expect him to be perfect, either.

Getum @ 7/1/2013 5:39 AM

First cop needs to get a hold of himself!!!! He is exactley the kind that does NOT need to be behind a badge! The second one was much better at handling the situation.

J. Gilbert @ 7/1/2013 10:18 PM

It does not pay to be nice to people in the first place, explain or arrest. You can not scream and curse or it will come back to bite you in the butt. If you have P.C. then simply arrest them and take them to jail; if no P.C. it would be better to not make contact at all.

CJ @ 7/2/2013 2:56 AM

Sorry, as a Sergeant, if one of my guys did this he would be looking at a day off...at a minimum. We need to understand that we are being viedeotaped by citizens ALL THE TIME and we need to know how to react (or not react) when that is happening. These people are looking for exactly what they got here, an inappropriate reaction by an officer. When we maintain our professionalism, that is what makes us look good and makes them look like idiots for failing to provoke us. I have smiled many times for the camera, it always works in my favor...being a hothead never works in our favor.

Tom G. @ 7/3/2013 7:52 AM

I personally believe this idiot (the driver) made himself a suspect in whatever crime scene the cops were investigating...I've always heard the criminal returns to the scene of the crime...

Lt. Sal @ 7/9/2013 6:51 AM

The guy is obviously scanning the PD's transmissions inserting himself into the crime scene or officers workspace. It was unfortunate the officer lost his cool, but at first he had a valid argument about focusing on who is following him around while he is doing his job. This behavior is scary in itself that we are being used as entertainment. I feel for the officer.

Enough is Enough @ 7/23/2013 5:42 PM

These anti-government; anti-police; libertarian knuckle-heads should go to Castro Cuba or Putin's Russia and really experience an oppressive government. Instead of giving LEO's a hard time by following them all over, they need to be thanking their lucky stars for life, liberty and all the happy stuff they can do.
I am just waiting for the day one of these hardcases follows a LEO into a hot-lead situation and ends us being a GSW victim. Are they going to play hard*** then? Probably . . . .