Minn. Man Pulls Gun In Squad

An intoxicated Minneapolis man pulled a loaded gun from his pants while in custody in the back of a patrol car that officers eventually wrestled away from him. Read the full story here.

May 07, 2013
14092 views

Tags: Pat-Downs, Intoxicated Subjects, Search and Seizure, Patrol Car Video

pup @ 5/7/2013 3:38 PM

I'm sure there will be many negative comments upon viewing this video. What I will say shame on the officers for an improper search, if they did one and not handcuffing the suspect behind his back.
When I heard the officer calling the suspect "stupid @@@@", I feel he should be telling his partner or himself those words. Both officers were the stupid ones and very lucky to be alive.
Then for the bookman to act pissed off with the suspect, he should be thanking the suspect for not killing him (bookman). To end the video the way it did, it should show the non-searching officer kicking his partners ass for nearly getting him killed. I hope this is a lesson well learned for all of LE....
God Bless and be safe....

John Carp @ 5/7/2013 5:44 PM

First, I wasn't there..........But................Ah....
Praise the Lord the Officers are okay and the goblin is in jail!
Just say'in
Respectfully
john

Jim A @ 5/7/2013 6:28 PM

He who has made a perfect search every time and done everything right every time - and I mean EVERY TIME - can throw the first stone.

I am just happy that the two officers are ok. We can all learn from this one.

Lt RPG @ 5/7/2013 6:28 PM

WTF Guys? Weak or no search and no handcuffs? Too many good guys get killed already. We don't need any more funerals. Especially not this way. The good Lord was watching out for you both and for the suspect's dumb ass for not getting shot in the back seat.

Bluevixen @ 5/7/2013 6:55 PM

I don't like to be a "Monday morning quarterback" but this is exactly why I teach my officers...EVERYONE WHO GOES IN THE BACKSEAT OF YOUR CAR GETS SEARCHED!!!!

Nichole @ 5/8/2013 4:40 AM

I understand the hostility everyone is spewing about them not doing a proper search... but to be fair, they weren't arresting him. They were taking him home. It clearly stated that, that's why he wasn't handcuffed.

I was taken home after a car accident one time in a police cruiser... does that mean that I should've been searched and handcuffed as well? I wasn't being arrested, but by your standards, I should've still been searched and cuffed behind my back.

Lorue @ 5/8/2013 5:04 AM

What is the old adage? 18 to 80, blind, crippled or crazy, EVERYONE goes in handcuffs. Or is it, in God we trust, EVERYONE else gets cuffed. Either way, cuffing a subject behind the back can mitigate a bad search. If you use a little brain power and explain why you are cuffing the subject, they will go along with the program.

Just glad that the good guys get to go home and Mr. Drunky gets to go to jail.

CJ @ 5/8/2013 5:43 AM

Nichole: Cuffed, maybe not...searched, ABSOLUTELY. Everyone that gets in my police car gets searched.

Coolhand Luke @ 5/8/2013 7:11 AM

Wow, the ofc's screw up and take it out on the bad guy!

Trevor @ 5/8/2013 8:21 AM

The cops may have messed up but they could have been killed, always like America to blame the police when the guy who had the gun did wrong

david @ 5/8/2013 2:08 PM

Right on Trevor. Couldn't have said it better.

Greg @ 5/8/2013 6:35 PM

Cool hand Luke - you are clearly a moron. How many times have you been arrested or are you just a bleeding heart liberal. Yes the officers made a mistake but doesn't give this idiot the right to pull a gun in the rear of a police car. Let me guess he was planning to turn it over as part of some amnesty buy back program. You should shit your mouth as you show your IQ when you don't.

Cool hand Luke @ 5/9/2013 12:10 PM

Greg, wow, you sure do have alot of anger and like to name call. That is what truly shows one's IQ. Of course it's WRONG for the guy to have had a gun, but first off why was the individual in the back of the car and if he was patted down/searched, one of those Ofc's is to blame for placing both of their lives in jeopardy. And no Liberal here Champ!

Dan @ 5/9/2013 3:45 PM

Ok, it is certainly ok to be NICE to people, especially if they were just PSRing the guy home. However, although the guy was definitely good for Carry Concealed Handgun, the initial contact was for a Public Intoxication. The officers chose the spirit of the LAW and decided to take him home. I will search anyone who goes in my backseat, 99.8% of the time. Would I have cuffed this guy if I was just taking him home? Probably not. I do ask if they have anything illegal I should I know about, and I just need to check. Most people are ok with a search if you, especially if they believe you going to let them go home. I understand his anger and frustration, but, it was the good guys to blame for the bad search. And if they had been killed, although it would have been tragic and sad, and yes, he still made the choice to pull the trigger, the officer's bad tactics would have got him killed.

Nichole @ 5/13/2013 5:30 AM

CJ - Ok... fair enough. Thinking on it further, even though I'm a female, 5' 6" tall, about 145lbs, I don't look all that threatening. But I'm also a martial artist with a 3rd degree black belt that could throw down if need be, not something you'd know just looking at me. And that fact aside, I could be carrying a weapon on me and intend to use it.

It's a good point. These days, everyone is potentially a lunatic.

Steve @ 6/25/2013 8:32 AM

Bluevixen @ 5/7/2013 6:55 PM

>>>> + 1 on that

JB @ 7/1/2013 8:23 AM

No matter how you look at it, both officers screwed up. In my opinion, with two officers in a cruiser then BOTH officers should search ANYONE that is placed in a patrol car for any reason. It's called officer safety and watching your partners back. Even if you are taking a prisoner from another officer that is handcuffed and you just watched him being searched; search him again. If one officer searches and does not find any contraband or a weapon then when the second officer searches the chance that these types of incidents occur can be greatly reduced. Now if both officers search and miss something like what happened in the video, they both would be required to attend remedial training if they were my officers. One or both of the officers made a grave mistake due to an improper search while trying to do this guy a favor by taking him home. We all make mistakes and yes I have made the same mistake by not searching everyone I put in my car according to the cicumstances. However, especially after watching this video. I will not let anyone in my patrol car unless I search then thoroughly.

JB @ 7/1/2013 8:24 AM

Continued...

Now as far as the officer's anger is concerned. I can understand it and I will not say I have not reacted in that fashion before. However, regardless of whether or not he was on video, I thik he should have shown a little more restraint. It appeared that he grabbed the suspect by the throat at one point. We all know that is not acceptable under those circumstances. Also, I know I was not there, but it would have been more professional to have removed him from the side of the car he was sitting on rather than snatching him out the other side so agressively. I am not throwing stones, but we have to remember everyone is watching, videoing, and scrutinizing everything we do. Above all we are professionals and all of us that wear a badge represents the public perception of law enforcement officers across the country. Our geographical location or department affiliations do not m

JB @ 7/1/2013 8:38 AM

Continued..
Our geographical locations and department affiliations do not matter to the public. When one of us makes a mistake or behaves in a manner the public disagrees with, we all suffer because some if not most people may think we all have the same mentality. I know I seem to be rambling, but my point is that each and every law enforcement officer that wears a badge across the country represents the public view of us all. So, let be professional, Think Safe, Act Safe, and Be Safe. Also, I thank God that he was watching out for our brothers in blue in this video.

Leo S. @ 7/31/2013 4:59 AM

terrible tacticts, no pat down or frisk, in custody and unhandcuffed. Lucky there wasnt two funerals after this debacle!