Deadly Miami Drug Shootout

A marijuana grow house's surveillance cameras captured a shootout with Miami-Dade PD detectives who fatally shot one of the suspects. Warning: Video contains graphic content. Read the full story here.

May 10, 2013
10941 views

Tags: Miami-Dade PD, Assaults on Officers, Video Surveillance

James @ 5/11/2013 12:21 AM

Anyone know how many rounds/what type of rounds were fired. It looked like the suspect was shot several times and still kept shooting back.

Random @ 5/11/2013 4:20 PM

This is not the movies. People don't just go from live to dead. It takes time. Some chose to use their last moments doing what they feel is the right thing (even when it isn’t). It has nothing to do with the rounds; it has everything to do with the man. May the suspects sole find peace and the officers remain lucky.

Bob@Az. @ 5/13/2013 4:16 PM

Scarey. Worries me that nobody looked in the silver car when approaching. Blues, Stay Safe.

Capt David-Ret LA County @ 5/13/2013 4:31 PM

That was sloppy...if the guy coming out of the car had any military or experience in self defense there could have been 3 dead cops..

Cpl. C.L. @ 5/13/2013 5:22 PM

I googled the suspects name and found out that the Detective is okay, release a week later from the hospital. I do not like to critique officer shootings(if you aren't there, it is tough to know), but the tunnel vision and the "eye" officer that had been watching(his car backed onto the street from the house across the street) did not see the guy come out of the house, stand on the porch and get into the BMW. Lucky we didn't lose one or more.

Carlos @ 5/13/2013 8:03 PM

I watch these types of footage to learn from others' mistakes. First, all three Officers had tunnel vision and very lousy Situation Awareness. I can't believe two of them walked past the vehicle that had a suspect in it. Secondly, the Officer that went down fired five shots and then stopped for no apparent reason. Shoot your opponent to the ground. Just because they stopped shooting, it doesn't mean they are out of the fight. Glad the Officers lived to learn from their mistakes.

Jim A @ 5/13/2013 11:42 PM

Note the VERY dark windows on the suspect vehicle. It is not a surprise nobody inside was visible to the approaching officers.

And if you think this "could not happen to you", you are absolutely wrong.

Still, we are lucky not to lose our brothers in (plain clothes) blue. Live and Learn. Learn to LIVE.

Renee @ 5/14/2013 3:43 AM

That guy had to know he was gonna die that day. That tree was never gonna be enough of a barrier...I say suicide by cop. These guys are so blessed that none of them were killed in this incident.

Adrian Stroud @ 5/14/2013 3:52 AM

There is nothing like having a gun aimed at you. I had a guy aim a magnum at my face once over a domestic. It gives you a whole new appreciation of life. My 9 mm was aimed at him.

mike @ 5/14/2013 6:06 AM

Thanks, Random. I have never seen a person shot. I just assumed they go down like a cheap $2.00 hooker.

JaTu @ 5/14/2013 7:50 AM

Most CCW/CPL experts say never carry anything smaller than a 9mm for this very reason...it's easy to shoot someone and have them die from the wound 30 minutes later....it's very hard to stop an attack, even with a big weapon. These guys should have went into this situation with AR's not pistols.

CHIEF DAVIS @ 5/14/2013 9:27 AM

Good work guys,wecan all learn from this,but someone should havechecked the auto, cover your six guys stay safe

SoCal @ 5/14/2013 10:08 AM

Debriefing is so important to learn from past mistakes so no disrespect to the officers at all - The officer with eyes on the house (in the white car across the street) didn't see the shooter come out, scan the landscape and then get in the silver car. Maybe because the suspects were wearing similar shirts the officer honed in on the guy walking out and thought it might be the same guy and that he popped out of the car. And don't forget that second suspect. He took off behind one of the cars and the focus was so intent on the gun fight it looked like no one had him. Good thing he didn't decide to start shooting. Thank god everyone is okay and good job shutting it down guys.

Buddy @ 5/15/2013 5:31 AM

Everybody is wise AFTER the event.

James @ 5/15/2013 6:42 AM

I believe that there's always something to learn in every situation but the last thing we as officers need is a bunch of monday morning qb's telling how they would have done it better...blah...blah...blah learn from it, pass it on and hope it helps others doing the job.

Fed Cop @ 5/15/2013 7:54 AM

Situational awareness. Bad techniques. Cop 101 dictates you check all cars for occupants. Whoever had eyes on the front of the house should have seen S-1 standing outside and get into the car. Then when S-1 got out of the car with his weapon pointed at the officers, it should have been shots fired time 3 before he got a round off. But of course we all have 20-20 hindsight. Situations like that should be practiced on the range. Glad the officer is OK.
I just can't understand the mindset of S-1 though. One against three? What did he expect? The officer putting down their weapons?

Jordan @ 5/16/2013 7:45 PM

Thank you for such an excellent training video. Luckily my old partner showed me the valuable payoff of checking the car when I was a rookie, and that lesson paid off after a chase and wreck-out by a suspect years ago. But it really hits home in a new way watching this video. The dark window tint adds a whole new dimension, and why its so important not to get tunnel vision. Although, as we learn in defensi

Jordan @ 5/16/2013 7:47 PM

*defensive tactics* biology is hard to overcome.

Longarm9 @ 6/24/2013 10:53 PM

"Worries me that nobody looked in the silver car when approaching."

Longarm9 @ 6/24/2013 10:56 PM

Worries me that nobody looked in the silver car when approaching.

This was my first thought. Once I had seen the rest of the video, my second thought was "Thank GOD none of the officers was killed."

This video is really exceptional training. We can all learn some valuable lessons from this. There isn't a lot of context for this video, but I was surprised that it seems nobody had surveillance of the residence before the bust. It's possible that this was maybe a door knock investigation gone horribly wrong, I suppose - ie. the officers didn't know that this was a drug house and were doing routine investigations, but nonetheless the lessons are well taken. Stay safe out there.