Calif. Cops Use Batons During Confrontation

Sacramento (Calif.) Police officers used their batons on a combative suspect at a cellular store after the man scared workers and physically attacked and resisted arrest. Read the full story here.

May 28, 2013
3954 views

Tags: Sacramento PD, Citizen Video, Using Batons

James @ 5/28/2013 3:42 PM

It is difficult to watch a man being beaten to death. Does anyone think this is right?

JJ @ 5/28/2013 3:44 PM

After 30+ years in law enforcement, I know you can't second guess a fight situation. However, the young lady slinging that baton seems a bit too aggressive. There are enough men there to handle the guy with physical strength while on the ground.

Random @ 5/28/2013 4:24 PM

Homicide =human killing another human. The reporter said that the coroner said it was not a homicide. So, how did he die?

Diogenes @ 5/28/2013 5:01 PM

The former sheriff is an idiot. His hypotheticals justify nothing. Excessive force under federal law. Pay up.

Capt David-Ret LA County @ 5/28/2013 5:31 PM

Can't tell what she is hitting BUT cops will get blamed just like Rodney King..and what was cause of death??

Capt. Crunch @ 5/28/2013 6:02 PM

The suspect hurt 2 officers with his bare hands and the suspect acted like he was on drugs. The officers had no choice they did what they had to do. Just think if this suspect attacked one of your unarmed love one's.

Sherry @ 5/28/2013 10:34 PM

This fight lasted over three minutes and was captured on in car cameras. Thanks to the help of civilians (not the one who chose to shoot this limited camera phone video to send to press) the officers eventually got him under control. Coroner has ruled he sustained no life threatening injuries. Toxicology report pending. I think it's a shame Police Magazine chose to show this limited bias producing version without waiting for the full story...

Sherry @ 5/28/2013 10:40 PM

Here's a link to the press release: http://www.sacpd.org/newsroom/releases/liveview.aspx?release_id=20130528-082

Jelly @ 5/29/2013 5:34 AM

In the past, I really looked forward to getting this email from “Police Target” showing issues that happened in law enforcement around the country. It’s was always full of good information and issues that could be used for training purposes. However, this thing has become nothing but a blog for liberal crybabies who want to whine and cry about police departments and how their “personal rights” have being violated, without even knowing the full facts of a case. I have been in law enforcement a long time and would be a fool to say that there aren’t bad cops out there. But, recently it seems like every time a person get’s arrested and it involves force used by police, some idiot or group of idiots have to scream, “Police brutality” and “that guy should sue for millions”. Maybe it’s time police officers become the ones that start suing. Because if an officer could sue for every time they have been bitten, punched, spit on, hit with an object/weapon, shot and stabbed we would all be rich. I was told a long time ago by my training officer, “the citizens of this jurisdiction pay you to win”. I still believe that today and because of those simple words of advice, I have been fortunate enough to go home to my family every night. For those not in law enforcement that enter this site for the purpose of simple “stirring the pot”, I would suggest you listen to the words of Colonel Jessup from the movie A Few Good Men. “I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post, until then, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to”.

Buster @ 5/29/2013 6:24 AM

I agree with "Jelly".

james @ 5/29/2013 7:57 AM

The suspect was already under control when the beating occurred and there were 4 officers present - more than enough to ensure he stayed down until he was in restraints. This is inexcusable.

james @ 5/29/2013 8:00 AM

The man was already on the ground and under an officer when the beating occurred. With 4 officers present, there was more than enough non-deadly force available to keep the man down until he could be put in restraints. The officers exercised poor judgement - beating a restrained man to death is never acceptable.

pup @ 5/29/2013 9:17 AM

>James< You're such an idiot. Try reading what >Sherry< wrote, as I totally agree with her. Get the facts before making judgement.

Charlie @ 5/29/2013 12:51 PM

I agree with Jelly and would like to add that after 30 years OTJ, I have had to use physical force as well as deadly physical force........and not one police officer I know wants, enjoys or looks forward to doing so.......including myself. The taking of another persons life or physically injuring someone is nothing to take lightly nor should it be. I too am tiring of all of the people who are so quick to criticize the individuals who make the decision to place their life on the line every day to protect those same people. I think the station houses should close up and all law enforcement take a two week vacation during that time, let society fend for itself and then lets see if there are any critics left. Get over it folks......this is reality squared and your nonsense is getting in the way.

James @ 5/29/2013 1:39 PM

After reading others comments, and further review of the video, I'd like to withdraw my earlier comments and simply say - you're right, a through review of the circumstances is really needed to form a proper conclusion - just watching the limited tape doesn't give enough information to really know what happened.

TIm @ 5/30/2013 6:07 AM

I also agree w/Jelly..nice post!

Steve @ 6/25/2013 8:10 AM

"2 Officers Hurt During The Struggle" got that, this was NOT a Rodney King , this was a hands on wrestling struggle.

Almost all VERY combative VERY angry psychotic persons who need to taken into custody always have to be taken down by force are on Meth or Coke or a combo of other drugs....... They tend to be so dam irrational, physically numb and dug induced powerful and angry that it takes a cement wrestling match to get the cuffs on , which in turn causes officers to have broken fingers, wrist, knees, cuts contusions etc.... i don't know ANY cops who wants to wrestle with a psychotic or a criminal on the cement .