Neb. Cop's T-Stop Takedown

An Omaha (Neb.) Police officer was captured on cell-phone video taking down a 28-year-old man who was having his car towed. The agency has launched an investigation into the incident. Read the full story here.

March 27, 2013
2977 views

Tags: Omaha (Neb.) PD, Citizen Video, Excessive Force

Jim B. @ 3/28/2013 6:31 AM

I see no problem with the take down. The video isn't real clear but it looks like the suspect was pushing back against the officer which initiated the take down. Don't know if he was already going to be arrested or not. As for all the commentary by the bystanders, it was hard to determine who was saying what. But it was also all pretty meaningless. "It's abuse! It's abuse! It's abuse!" No, "It's an arrest! It's an arrest! It's an arrest!"

The one officer dealing with the little guy on the sidewalk was doing a pretty good job. He escorted the kid out of the way and then ignored his taunts and comments (for a while). The guy was annoying but I didn't really see anything illegal. You'd be hard pressed to classify his behavior as interfering. So I'm not sure why the kid took off running when the additional units showed up and I'm not sure why the cop took off after him. He might have done something that the camera didn't catch since it had moved to film the arriving cop cars, I just couldn't tell.

After that it gets a little ridiculous with all the arriving units, at least 12 or 14 cars by the time it was all said and done. This is where we sometimes make ourselves look bad. Were this many units really necessary? I wasn't there so I'm not going to make too big of an issue of it but it didn't look like it.

bpd3733 @ 3/28/2013 10:09 PM

24 officers on scene. 10 go into the house to get the mouthy kid that was on the sidewalk. When I go to training, I pick on the Omaha & Lincoln police officers because they can't handle anything without a half dozen officers present. Looks like I have more ammo to tease them about.

Joe Beckett @ 3/29/2013 3:10 AM

Only in America! All those officers is emabarrassing.

Jay @ 3/29/2013 5:15 AM

however gentleman, when we hear a fellow officer say over the radio, "officer needs assistance" i dont care if 100 cops show up. if it where me, and i was the 15 cop showing up and see my fellow officers all running towards a house and i"ll i know is an officer needs help....i am going in!!

Dan B @ 3/29/2013 8:18 AM

I don't count 24 officers on the scene. There are too many, in my opinion, but not 24! I agree with Jim B. for the most part. He could have been pushing back against the officer. Maybe the officer was telling him to stop and he kept moving toward the car. The other gut was disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace. and turned chickens**t when more officers got there. In any event, white cop, black suspect. The relatives will forever say (and allege in a stupid civil suit) abuse. The City's insurance carrier will give them money to go away, and the cops are guilty AGAIN!

jon @ 3/29/2013 1:22 PM

All those officers involved should be fired for excessive use of force, and violating the citizen's Fourth Amendment rights by entering into his home for doing absolutely nothing but voicing his opinion to the IN-Justice he's witnessing. Who the Hell do these LEO's think they are!!!

FIRE THEM ALL!!!

GD @ 3/30/2013 6:10 PM

jon,
You are an idiot.

Jim A @ 3/31/2013 9:59 PM

None of us watching this can see all of what is going on around the original blue crew. None of us know the neighborhood and their response to police activity. Who is to say that 4, 6 or 8 officers was enough to control what could have been a "riot situation" under other circumstances - and that more backup was not necessary? And to automatically start accusing officers of violating everyone's rights is jumping the gun. You do not know that. You are guessing.

I work in a small town and work night shift by myself. I had to arrest a guy 6-03 and 280 pounds by myself today. He is 30 years younger than I am and outweighs me by 100 pounds. He can lift his weight - and eat it. No backup was there at all. I am just lucky he threw his hands in the air when he saw me, recognized me, and voluntarily submitted to arrest. If things had been different and he would have wanted to fight, any four of us would not have been enough. So when the sh#$ hits the fan - or to keep the sh#$ from hitting the fan - more is better. Sometimes a response from a number of officers calms the crowd and keeps cops from having to hurt someone.

Capt. Crunch @ 4/1/2013 11:46 AM

Well if you drive around town with expired plates and when the police contact you and you respond with a felony mouth what do you expect milk and cookies. The officer was only doing his job and took the suspect down before he (the suspect) became more violent.

R. Hillsman @ 4/1/2013 11:41 PM

Please observe the arresting officer @ the 2:57 pt. of the video, as other units arrive strike the restrained and cuffed suspect after looking around, somewhere between 5-10 times (strikes appear to be at suspect's head). Over response? who knows unless u were there and knew the hx. of the area and specifically this house. Only problem was seen at this juncture of the recording-although i too counted 24# officers (some are in plainclothes w. only a police jacket and bluejeans).

eric @ 4/5/2013 8:34 AM

At 257 the officer did strike the suspect but for something but the suspect could be still trying to resist, and at the begining of the video it looks like the suspect was pushing against the truck back against the officer. I say both arrest were just. in the town where i live we had a city council man arrested for disturbing the peace just like the guy who ran into the house away from the other officers. also the officer was giving chase to that kid therefor his 4th amendment rights were not violated.