Utah Pursuit Ends In Gunfire

A Morgan County (Utah) Sheriff's deputy who pursued the driver of a GMC truck for a broken headlight fired at the female driver when she lurched her vehicle toward him. Read the full story here.

December 18, 2012
9630 views

Tags: Patrol Car Video, Morgan County (Utah) Sheriff

Dom @ 12/19/2012 12:02 AM

In all honesty... I don't see a justified shoot here. But that's just me. If he had started shooting as he backed up in response to the truck coming forward then I would feel better. But I don't know...

Dom @ 12/19/2012 12:04 AM

Eh... I don't know, this is one of those scenarios I am on the fence about...

Jeff @ 12/19/2012 8:54 AM

I do not see a justification for the shoot with what i can see. The officer could or should have taken cover behind the stopped patrol vehicles but instead placed himself in danger. From what i can see he had time to retreat from the threat behind stopped patrol vehicles which would have prevented suspect vehicle from striking him. On the other hand i have no informtion as to the reason for the chase.

Mr. Peabody @ 12/19/2012 11:18 AM

"Do not create your own exigency." Guess nobody ever told them that in Morgan County. They'll eat this one for sure.

pup @ 12/19/2012 11:36 AM

Watching the video from the dash cam, there may have been more to the eye for the officer to shoot. In Los Angeles, our policy states we shall not place ourselves in front of a suspect vehicle. The reason is due to several shootings, like the one in the video. It was determine we have no reason to stand in front of the vehicle to stop the suspect. By doing so, we increase the likelihood of using lethal force. If proper tactics had been used, the shooting may have been avoided.
I'm not sure of your policy, but there may be a change of your policy of tactics in the near future. Tactically, it's not a good idea to take on a vehicle. Not to mention, shooting the suspect, may not solve the problem as you may have to deal with an out of control vehicle. Be safe and God Bless!!

Dave @ 12/19/2012 2:45 PM

It is very clear that stopping the way the officers did was not the smartest thing to do, second a that point, she is still moving why are you getting out of your car like it is no big deal, cover where was that. You put yourself in that situation, the car is still moving. The car facing the truck after the shot should have boxed her in by using his car pushing it against hers, mind he put himself in the line of fire if she was armed. You guys are lucky you did not get yourself killed, clearly there was no common sense used. Yes, I am a cop 24 years on the job and a trainer at that.

Doug @ 12/19/2012 4:27 PM

How many zeros will they need to put on that check?

Jjay @ 12/19/2012 7:39 PM

This guy just lost his stripes

JP @ 12/21/2012 1:34 PM

The truck stopped before he pulled the trigger! WEAK

Javier Cota @ 12/22/2012 7:48 PM

If you watch the video closely you see the Officer steps back and it take a split second for him to react, line up the sight and fire. By then the threat looks like it may had passed. So, the officer's reaction is limited by the scope of human performance. He was in danger, maybe because of his perceptions and slowed body reactions, it took a little time to get the shot off. Remember, we are watching this from an angle, are not in his mind, and need to take into account physiological as well as performance limitations of the human body. That's not a machine out there. He did take the time to aim. I am glad he did that and he was in danger at some point. Life isn't perfect, and neither are police. Lets keep that in mind as we armchair quarterback it from the comfort of our homes.

Th @ 12/23/2012 3:28 PM

He is going to jail and the chase supervisor/highest rank will be demoted to lowest rank.

NY beat @ 12/24/2012 2:19 PM

Unless that was a calculated warning shot or effort to disable the engine... Not good.

Steve @ 12/26/2012 7:49 AM

Another black eye for law enforcement. In my 30 years with KSP I had several incidents where I'd have been justified in shooting a perp. but chose not to and I'm glad now that I made that choice. Having to take a human life would be bad enough even if justified, but if I'd been this officer and after seeing this video, I'd probably have frequent nightmares about my bad decision.

David @ 12/26/2012 12:51 PM

The only way to justify this is to say that she was an imminent danger to other motorist if she got back on the road. This would have been largely based on what she may have already done, for example - ran people off the road or been involved in a hit and run, etc.

The imminent threat to the officer was not there.

Terry @ 12/26/2012 10:36 PM

I can not truely comment, can not see what or who is on the right side, that is out of the sight line of the dash cam. It is apparent that the truck is placed in gear and you can hear the gas being given to the motor. What the officer say that shot is hard to say. So whith out the whole picture. I am not going to monday morning quarter back him.

Red888 @ 12/27/2012 7:21 PM

I do not see a justified shooting as well. I see the trooper stepping towards the vehicle as the truck is trying to get away. The truck's wheels were turning to the right away from the trooper. He should have taken cover behind one of the two patrol vehicles that were next to him. Definitely trigger happy. I know we are taught to fight and not to retreat but we are also taught to save lives not take them. This was an unneccessary shooting. Unjustified.

Mitch Tanner @ 1/4/2013 9:41 AM

I really hate it when people Monday morning quarterback decisions like this but..... eh. Okay so maybe he could have does things a lil bit different. I've been in similar situations and moved out the way and did not shoot. And the officer steps in front of his squad into the path of her truck! Moves out the way to safety, waits a few seconds and takes his shot. At least the dog in the passenger seat didn't get hurt.

Steve E @ 1/17/2013 10:06 PM

Your mother is slowly going into diabetic shock as she is driving home , she is driving disoriented and a stinking cop shoots her . Nice shot A-hole

brad @ 1/29/2013 7:49 PM

Reading several posts on here about the officer should not have been standing in the front, and how LAPD now will not allow officer's to stand in front of suspect vehicles because of too many shootings...Here is the thing people, police need to get back to being police and get rid of this political correctness BS, and let the government play politics, not the police dept's. A suspect running from the police should be fair game in the first place. Police getting out in front of the vehicle can more clearly see what is going on in the vehicle, if a child is inside, if the person appears to be in diabetic shock like Steve E posted...This woman was not because of some of the things she did, we are trained on that Steve E. It doesn't matter where an officer is standing, if the suspect drives towards an officer with a gun pointed at them, that is on them!

Crowbar @ 2/25/2013 6:26 AM

I don't see justification in the shot or chase but I do see justification on seeing that officer retire, asap!!!!!!!